• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sidestand and centerstand shortening

WPZ

Reaction score
Visit site
The Missus just got herself a 2012 NC700XD and is proceeding to ride the wheels off of it. But she's relatively new to bikes and so insisted on a lowering job despite her long-leggedness. Planted feet and bent knees are reassuring to new riders.
In went a Soupy's set of links. The factory setting lowered the unladen seat height from 32 1/4" to 31 3/8" (Old carpenter- fractions of inches are homey).
I took the links down another two turns, 12 flats, plus set the fork tubes up a half-inch.
Remeasuring the seat height suggests it's down 1 1/2" or thereabouts.
So the sidestand (we used to call them "kickstands") became perilous.
I sawed the stand apart to discover the main tube's ID (inside diameter) is almost exactly 3/4", and then there's an inner reinforcing sleeve inside the upper half, with an ID of almost exactly 5/8".
What that meant is that ordinary hardware-store stock steel could work well for further inner reinforcement.
Long ago I learned cutting and welding thinwall tube that is going to be subjected to unknown stresses isn't such a hot idea. There was this GL1500 handlebar...
So I drove a piece of 3/4" OD/ 1/16" wall plain steel tube into the lower part of the stand and then cut a length of 5/8" OD solid round stock to join the two pieces. This also serves to make adjustments much easier than just welding back together.
The upper section, with the curve, accepted the solid rod with nothing more than hammering. It's practically immovable now.
Then I drilled a 5/32" hole through and through the whole thing in the lower, looser section, installed a fat cotter pin, and sent her out into the world.
My first subtraction cut was just about 1". That wasn't quite enough and the bike was still a bit tippy, enough to unnerve the operator on slopy parking spots. So I took another 1/2" off; with the saw kerfs (the metal removed by the metal-cutting blade in my recip saw) I probably took off a little more than 1 5/8" altogether. Now the bike sits at about the same angle as the GL18 and Kawasaki ZX1100E it's parked alongside with.
I drilled another cotter pin hole and put it back together, with a spritz of flat black enamel for now. If this turns out right, I'll weld the joint once and for all. With that solid rod inside, that's a good backer for even clumsy welding. I can then also fill the pin holes up and grind them off.
The kick tang needed a little bend downwards (when in the lowered position) to keep the end from being too close to the rider's boot. A two-foot piece of tubing slipped over the tang did fine for that, no heat was used.
As a test, I tipped the entire bike up on to the sidestand and bounced on it with both tires in the air. Nothing moved or bent.
Just thought I'd toss this out for someone thinking of doing this and not spending a ton on an aftermarket stand. If you work efficiently, this could be done in less than an easy hour. I spend about twenty bucks on the steel, but I had to buy two-footers and there's a lot left for other things.
Now, the centerstand. That won't be so easy. For now, I'm having her park it with the front wheel on little plywood platform that makes the front wheel a little taller, in effect. But standing it up is still pretty hard.

I've read about people switching to the stand for an S model for lowered bikes.

Maybe you can sell the regular X stand, or save it incase she ever wants to raise it back up as she gains confidence.

The Missus just got herself a 2012 NC700XD and is proceeding to ride the wheels off of it. But she's relatively new to bikes and so insisted on a lowering job despite her long-leggedness. Planted feet and bent knees are reassuring to new riders.
In went a Soupy's set of links. The factory setting lowered the unladen seat height from 32 1/4" to 31 3/8" (Old carpenter- fractions of inches are homey).
I took the links down another two turns, 12 flats, plus set the fork tubes up a half-inch.
Remeasuring the seat height suggests it's down 1 1/2" or thereabouts.
So the sidestand (we used to call them "kickstands") became perilous.
I sawed the stand apart to discover the main tube's ID (inside diameter) is almost exactly 3/4", and then there's an inner reinforcing sleeve inside the upper half, with an ID of almost exactly 5/8".
What that meant is that ordinary hardware-store stock steel could work well for further inner reinforcement.
Long ago I learned cutting and welding thinwall tube that is going to be subjected to unknown stresses isn't such a hot idea. There was this GL1500 handlebar...
So I drove a piece of 3/4" OD/ 1/16" wall plain steel tube into the lower part of the stand and then cut a length of 5/8" OD solid round stock to join the two pieces. This also serves to make adjustments much easier than just welding back together.
The upper section, with the curve, accepted the solid rod with nothing more than hammering. It's practically immovable now.
Then I drilled a 5/32" hole through and through the whole thing in the lower, looser section, installed a fat cotter pin, and sent her out into the world.
My first subtraction cut was just about 1". That wasn't quite enough and the bike was still a bit tippy, enough to unnerve the operator on slopy parking spots. So I took another 1/2" off; with the saw kerfs (the metal removed by the metal-cutting blade in my recip saw) I probably took off a little more than 1 5/8" altogether. Now the bike sits at about the same angle as the GL18 and Kawasaki ZX1100E it's parked alongside with.
I drilled another cotter pin hole and put it back together, with a spritz of flat black enamel for now. If this turns out right, I'll weld the joint once and for all. With that solid rod inside, that's a good backer for even clumsy welding. I can then also fill the pin holes up and grind them off.
The kick tang needed a little bend downwards (when in the lowered position) to keep the end from being too close to the rider's boot. A two-foot piece of tubing slipped over the tang did fine for that, no heat was used.
As a test, I tipped the entire bike up on to the sidestand and bounced on it with both tires in the air. Nothing moved or bent.
Just thought I'd toss this out for someone thinking of doing this and not spending a ton on an aftermarket stand. If you work efficiently, this could be done in less than an easy hour. I spend about twenty bucks on the steel, but I had to buy two-footers and there's a lot left for other things.
Now, the centerstand. That won't be so easy. For now, I'm having her park it with the front wheel on little plywood platform that makes the front wheel a little taller, in effect. But standing it up is still pretty hard.
Thanks for the kickstand internal’s info.

I have the opposite problem, with larger tires my kickstand is too short and way tipped over when I use it. Actually I use a wood block on a string to alleviate its shortness when getting off my bike. I used my Soupy’s link to raise the frame a bit so my center stand is fine.

So, after cutting the kickstand, I should only need a length of 5/8" OD solid round stock to join the two extended pieces? About how far up or how far down should I make the separation cut?

Ray

I just pounded the 5/8" rod up into the bend where it stuck pretty well.
Then I measured down to see how far it needed to go to hit the footie.
Not at all scientific. But it works.
I tied it together with cotter pins for now, and it's working okay.
One small detail- don't drill pin holes unless the bike is actually sitting on the sidestand- the footie angle will be deceptive. I fooled myself by using my "expert eye". Then I had to drill another hole.
I do recommend adding the hollow 3/4" OD tube to the lower section, it keeps it from being all rattly.

If you use a cotter pin to secure it, you can make it adjustable via extra holes in the insert.

if your bike is lowered by a lot ( i mean-you can't use OEM side stand at all (and off course you can forget about using centerstand) and not interested in welding- your next option would be side stand from honda CTX.
it's exact same thing,but a bit shorter.
i have one,but it didn't worked for me,because my NC lowered just a little bit,so i can use both OEM side and centerstand.
here is the pic of both,side to side
1 014.jpg

and here is the bike with OEM and CTX stand. like i said-i dropped the rear by just a little bit. maybe an inch or so. i don't remember.
1 018.jpg1 017.jpg

I don't think anyone mentioned soupy's adjustable kickstands yet....

Soupys Performance || Motorcycle Adjustable Kickstands, Motorcycle Lowering Links

A word of caution... some who bought the adjustable kicksatnd reported it failing when they were standing on the footpegs with the sidestand down..... I think if you do a search for soupy's on this forum you will find those posts. Hopefully those issues have been addressed by Soupy's by now, but you may want to email them and ask before ordering.

and here is the bike with OEM and CTX stand. like i said-i dropped the rear by just a little bit. maybe an inch or so. i don't remember.
View attachment 35105View attachment 35106
Looks like the sidestand from the S would be the right size. It is exactly between the X and CTX length. And rather inexpensive as well. I got mine (for highering my CTX) from some Chinese shop for about 30 euros.

Gesendet von meinem D5803 mit Tapatalk

Back