• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Sjcam???

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
bought one of these Original Genuine SJCAM SJ4000.
also bought a charger plug,so that I can plug into my existing cigar lighter in the frunk.
the problem with this is that I cannot charge the sjcam while on the move and recording unless I cut the holes in for the plug in.
this would render the casing to none waterproofing!
also I need the casing to mount the cam on my crash bars etc.
the recording time is roughly 70 minutes to flat battery. most of my journeys are well over this time period.
to those who have this and used it how did you get round it??
do I need to buy a spare case and cut the holes out??

well silly me..
never thought of buying spare batteries etc.
one must put ones brain in gear before one ask!

Last edited:
I had installed one of those waterproof power sockets on the handlebars. That way I have access to power outside of the frunk. You can get them pretty cheap, I just put one on my Africa Twin that has 2 USB charging ports and one regular cigarette lighter style port. Then plug in the camera and ride.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

JDE, you got the problem wrong: Camera is in a waterproof case. That case does not have a opening for a plug.

So yeah, a second battery would be the idea. Better yet with a charger you can plug the battery in. So you can charge it while riding.

bought one of these Original Genuine SJCAM SJ4000.
also bought a charger plug,so that I can plug into my existing cigar lighter in the frunk.
the problem with this is that I cannot charge the sjcam while on the move and recording unless I cut the holes in for the plug in.
this would render the casing to none waterproofing!
also I need the casing to mount the cam on my crash bars etc.
the recording time is roughly 70 minutes to flat battery. most of my journeys are well over this time period.
to those who have this and used it how did you get round it??
do I need to buy a spare case and cut the holes out??

well silly me..
never thought of buying spare batteries etc.
one must put ones brain in gear before one ask!

I ran into the same dilemma with my camera. I can't charge it inside the waterproof case. Stopping to change batteries isn't much better, but beats stopping to recharge. I don't know about yours, but my latch that holds the waterproof case closed feels like it has a finite number of opens and closes before breaks, so I don't like opening and closing it unless I have to.

Looks like your camera doesn't have a tripod screw hole on the bottom like mine. I at least have the option to use a tripod attachment instead of the case, but I'd be screwed if I hit a pop-up shower without the case on.

Either way, hope it works out for you. It's kind of cool watching mp4s of good rides.

JDE, you got the problem wrong: Camera is in a waterproof case. That case does not have a opening for a plug.

So yeah, a second battery would be the idea. Better yet with a charger you can plug the battery in. So you can charge it while riding.
Oh, yeah. I did. I just re-read the OP.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I have an SJ5000. I bought a set of 3 spare batteries and a rapid charger. I used it on a recent trip, and it was fine for me. I would only record during the "good parts" of the ride, and switch batteries at gas or scenic photo stops. Not ideal, but I wouldn't want the amount of footage that having the camera on all the time would provide. I'm not wanting it as a dash cam either.

I am interested in getting a dash cam, and the Inovv K1 looks pretty good.

I've only bought it to record as evident of other road user's pulling out on me etc.
also with it being so small I can take it on hols with me.
the instructions that I got with it doesn't say much on usage not to mention all those accessories etc.
it say it will record up to 80 minutes on one full charge.
but what is 32gb in hrs?
?? does it keep on recording and wiping off previous recordings like a dash cam?
the 2 batteries that I bought a bigger than the one in the camera @ 1100mAh
what hours of recording that I've got?
sorry but I'm not clued up on this sort of stuff.

I have a Sjcam M20 permanently mounted on my NC. As for the USB charging cable, well, I drilled the case... I made the hole very precisely with a Dremel tool so when the connector is in place, it is so thight that no water may get in there.

There are two features that you may want to take a look at. I have them in my M20 so I believe you also have them in your SJ4000 as well: "Car mode" and "Loop recording". I enabled both options on mine.

- "Car mode" basically works in conjunction with the input power. As soon as there is power applied to the microUSB port, the camera turns ON and start recording by itself, like a dashcam. When power is removed, it stops recording and power OFF.

- "Loop recording" enables the camera to auto-erase older recordings when the memory card is full, so you always have access to the last riding hours.

With both options enabled (and powered through a switched 12VDC), it becomes a "set-and-forget" camera. As for your recording length, well, it depends on many settings (resolution, FPS, bitrate, mp4/mov, ...) so you will have to try it with your own settings. As for me, my M20 keeps about the last 3 hours of 1080p @ 30 fps using a 32GB card.

Back