• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finally got around to unwrapping the protective masking tape I had mummified the Nitron shock's preload adjuster and remote reservoir in, during install...:rolleyes:

There's not a lot of room to put these things, as I had imagined. This will do for now, but placement is denied in quite a few various likely seeming spots, due to not wanting too sharp a bend in the hydraulics, or sticking out in the way of an errant boot, or smashed by a rock in a tip over, etc.

So far, the shock doesn't feel too much different than the OEM one, over normal city and highway tarmac roads. If I aim for giant potholes or other poor quality surfaces, it feels great, lol. The real test will obviously be off road, and my evil nemesis: countless miles of washboard corduroy gravel FSR's that want to knock yer fillings out.

Looks like a very good install job. Eager to hear how it performs off-road. Although I have no immediate plans to use either of our bikes off-road I can still enjoy living vicariously through other's adventures and experiences.

Does the clip in the middle obscure your vision in anyway or is it distracting? I have a feeling that some type of deflector is in my future for putting on my wife's NCX which has the Puig Touring screen installed. She has already voiced a complaint about wind noise even at sub-highway speeds. I like the low profile look of the Puig deflector you have.

Thought I would "butt in" here...I have the Wunderlich extender which is similar. I do not find the windshield bracket objectionable at all. It is small in comparison to what I see in front of me and below my eye-level view...and I'm only 5'7". Picture here: Windshield Extender - Honda NC700 Photo Gallery and here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/attach...eflector-add-windscreen-windshieldextside.jpg

Just in case this tidbit of info helps...

Drilled new holes in my Madstad screen to lower it about 2.5 inches and removed the hand guards. Summer is here and I need more airflow.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Does the clip in the middle obscure your vision in anyway or is it distracting? I have a feeling that some type of deflector is in my future for putting on my wife's NCX which has the Puig Touring screen installed. She has already voiced a complaint about wind noise even at sub-highway speeds. I like the low profile look of the Puig deflector you have.
The clip is not even noticeable when riding. My focus is down the road not on the windshield. And the whole deflector is small and non intrusive. It is not large enough to block your vision in any direction. And it's adjustable and easily installed and removed. And best of all, it's cheap to buy.

Thought I would "butt in" here...I have the Wunderlich extender which is similar. I do not find the windshield bracket objectionable at all. It is small in comparison to what I see in front of me and below my eye-level view...and I'm only 5'7". Picture here: Windshield Extender - Honda NC700 Photo Gallery and here: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/attach...eflector-add-windscreen-windshieldextside.jpg

Just in case this tidbit of info helps...
Thanks for the input.
The Wunderlich extender appears to be a little wider and taller than the Puig. But it also offers more adjustability and multiple positions. The Wunderlich is also more easily found when buying. I could not find the Puig available anywhere in the USA. I had to have it ordered from Puig in Spain. But I find the Puig deflector very effective.

Rode to work last night...windscreen sucks, so does seat, but y'all already knew that.

Heading up River Rd, Bucks County PA today after I get a little nap. Normally a Sunday trip, but starting a 36 hr shift tonight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a simple oil and filter change, and when I went to put the skidplate back on, discovered that none of the bolts would thread back in to the nuts in the frame!

I had left the skidplate off from my rear shock install, knowing that it would have to come off again for a filter change, and was anxious to get it back on. Went to put the bolts in, and...ack! No chance, it would have resulted in instant thread stripping.

Fortunately, I had finally, after a gazillion years of putting it off, bought a cheap tap and die set for such a purpose. :D

DSCF1340.jpg

DSCF1344.jpg

Not sure how so much corrosion and crap got into the threads! Bolts went in nice and smooth like buttah afterwards, though. :cool:

Later, a well deserved beverage, and off to Hockey Night in Canada :)

DSCF1351.jpg

With 7600 miles on the bike, I rode up to my best pal's house Friday evening and got the bike ready to do valve checks. We took the radiator off (hardest part was getting the electrical connectors to disconnect). Since I had never done valve checks we played around with the top left intake valve on cyclinder #2. We had went to dinner before we took the radiator off, so things had cooled down. We did that one because with no center stand, that one is the easiest to adjust (they are all easier to get to though). It was on the loose side of the specs so I did my OJT on it and got it back to spec.

The next morning, after the bike had sit for 13 hours, we started the procedure. The valve we adjusted had to be readjusted, it was now a little tight (within spec but on tight end of spec). The other values were good and we did not adjust those; checking valves and putting everything back together including re-filling the radiator and waiting for the burp (actually, kept waiting for the burp but after about 3-4 minutes of no burp, I turned off the bike and the radiator BURPED) took about an hour. We had spent an hour the night before taking the things off-taking our time and seeing what did what.

My buddy has experience doing valve checks on his wife's Rebel and his other bikes, and he stated the NC700X was easy. Yep, I can do it myself next time :).
TIP: watch the youtube video on the performing the valve checks, it was right on.

Got (hopefully) close to optimizing the screen set-up on my 750X over the weekend and finally got to road-test it today. I already had a Givi tall screen mounted on adjustable brackets made by Palmer Products over here in the UK but I wanted to go one step further by making a dash cover panel / inner screen. Before doing it, I decided that a set of nut plates from forum member Dale aka hondabikepro would make the job a lot easier - and boy was I right!! I used the small OE screen as a template for my panel but unfortunately didn't have a wide enough strip of material (reclaimed gutter liner that was up on my buddie's roof for the last 20 years) to match the width of the screen at the bottom. I'll probably wind up buying a new sheet big enough to match the width of the Givi screen at the bottom as I think the shape would blend in better with the bike's fairing. Just wanted to test the idea out first and results from the first ride seem good. Watch this space!!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/002_zpsf67a37b8.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/011_zps96d430ae.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zps52969165.jpg

Got (hopefully) close to optimizing the screen set-up on my 750X over the weekend and finally got to road-test it today. I already had a Givi tall screen mounted on adjustable brackets made by Palmer Products over here in the UK but I wanted to go one step further by making a dash cover panel / inner screen. Before doing it, I decided that a set of nut plates from forum member Dale aka hondabikepro would make the job a lot easier - and boy was I right!! I used the small OE screen as a template for my panel but unfortunately didn't have a wide enough strip of material (reclaimed gutter liner that was up on my buddie's roof for the last 20 years) to match the width of the screen at the bottom. I'll probably wind up buying a new sheet big enough to match the width of the Givi screen at the bottom as I think the shape would blend in better with the bike's fairing. Just wanted to test the idea out first and results from the first ride seem good. Watch this space!!

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/002_zpsf67a37b8.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/011_zps96d430ae.jpg

http://i1149.photobucket.com/albums/o598/scrumpymike/007_zps52969165.jpg

Most excellent! :cool:

I had grand plans of swapping out the NCX front fairing/headlight for a twin projector beam nacelle, but scaling back my boring workplace daydreams, will probably scotch that plan for a more realistic appoach:

(mostly) replicating the OEM small screen in carbon fibre and affixing the OEM screen back onto it, albeit with more adjustability, seems to be very much identical in basic concept to what you did such a fine job of!

I need my stock small screen to be able to go lower than the mounts presently allow for, and it would be nice to have it adjust back up to roughly or slightly taller height, if wanted.

I am heartened by your efforts :D

L.B.S., how come you want your screen lower when most folks (me included) are trying to take theirs higher/further away to deflect the airstream up over the rider's head??

Technically in my case, it's a matter of wanting to raise the bike and the screen, lol, but I kind of echo Nortwestrider's comment. Convoluted explanation to follow...:eek:

Where I park, is a very low overhead area. With the preload backed off to zero front and rear, and the screen in it's lowest position, I still have to worry about hitting the top edge of the screen and tearing it off, or breaking it.

I got my TKC's, rear shock and front preloaders to raise the bike up for better ground clearance and fun off road, but this means I have to leave the screen off entirely, or fiddle with re/re-ing it every day, several times. Gets old fast.

I would like to be able to ride on the highway to my offroad spots with the screen in the upper position, and easily lower it when I get there, for hopefully, less interaction with tree branches and it being too sticky-outy damage prone in minor binnings. Having it sit even an inch or so lower than the stock low position, would prevent my forgetful self from that inevitable time when I forget to lower/remove it when parking at home...:rolleyes *crunch* *much cursing*

If there was only a choice between no windscreen or a big one, I would instantly pick no screen. Generally, the only grief I've had with screens were when they were too big or too tall, and given the fact I want to potter about in gravel and through rocky creek beds, up mountain trails etc., not tour loads of miles on tarmac, my choice is pretty much made for me. ;)

L.B.S., how come you want your screen lower when most folks (me included) are trying to take theirs higher/further away to deflect the airstream up over the rider's head??

This is the first bike I've had that actually had a taller screen. Sport bikes have nothing worth mentioning and that is what I was used to. I one benifit I saw to a tall screen was this winter. kept the cold wind off me. Now that summer is on its way I think it would be best to go to the smallest screen possible.

Riding with no screen or a low screen is fine for short rides. If you start doing distance you will enjoy a dead air space and quiet air. Constant wind and wind noise will fatigue you more than you think over many hours riding

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back