• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

So what did you do TO your NC700 today.

Should this thread be made a Sticky?

• Yes.

Votes: 15 42.9%
  • No.

Votes: 20 57.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Added the Fenda Extenda. Using the all weather super duty 3M double sided tape for now. May or may not punch a couple of holes for screws.

Cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain. Then I gave the bike a thorough clean, detail and wax. Looks like the weather is gonna be awesome for riding next week! I will be performing my 600 mile service this week also.

Added the Fenda Extenda. Using the all weather super duty 3M double sided tape for now. May or may not punch a couple of holes for screws.

You may want to read this thread. http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/497-ncx-fenda-extenda-attachment-3.html Post 22
I had my front fender off the bike and on the workbench to install the Extenda. I stuck the Extenda to the fender with the supplied tape after cleaning the fender with solvent. I got called away to work and did not return to the project until a day later. Upon my return the Extenda was gone! I found it on the floor a few feet away. The supplied tape did not even secure the Extenda under it's own weight for 24 hours.

Greg

Cleaned, lubed and adjusted the chain. Then I gave the bike a thorough clean, detail and wax. Looks like the weather is gonna be awesome for riding next week! I will be performing my 600 mile service this week also.

Yeah, after the rainy week last week, this coming week looks great, especially with the cool morning temps!!

Faceshield Washer

Actually, the tennis ball is the tank for the face shield washer. I cut out along the seam along the top of the ball far enough to be able to reach in and grab the wet sponge I keep in there.

I got tired of waiting for a gas station to come along after one spring ride a few years ago where my face shield started looking like a map of South America, as seen from the inside of a globe. I was riding through farmland at the time, and until then I never knew bugs had so many different colored juices inside them. Brazil was an especially vibrant yellowish-green with just a touch of red about where Rio would have been... No gas stations around - farmland in the middle of nowhere.

Anyway, I got to doing a little research, and came up with this idea, which I kind of cribbed off the net. I can either just poke the cover back, get a glove finger wet and wipe the ooze away while riding, or pull over and do a thorough job with the sponge itself. I keep a little rag handy to dry with, if I have to use the sponge itself.

Back when I was still riding my Ulysses, it would come in handy for dirt, dust, and other nasty forms of roost, too.

Attachments

• Faceshield Washer.jpg
    Faceshield Washer.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 311
Did the 600 mile service. Filter was damn tight, and three wrenches kept slipping. Finally the Autozone guys idea of drilling a hole and using the screw driver worked. Initially was worried about the metal shavings (which is normal) I was in the oil pan, but later realized that it came from my drilling. It took about 2oz more than 2.6Qt though, may be due to my shaking of the bike with filter and drain plug off.

Did notice couple of things, my battery strap was not connected, second head of the lower fairing screw is almost stripped, which i thought is strange for a screw to strip after first use.

Did the 600 mile service. Filter was damn tight, and three wrenches kept slipping. Finally the Autozone guys idea of drilling a hole and using the screw driver worked. Initially was worried about the metal shavings (which is normal) I was in the oil pan, but later realized that it came from my drilling. It took about 2oz more than 2.6Qt though, may be due to my shaking of the bike with filter and drain plug off.

Did notice couple of things, my battery strap was not connected, second head of the lower fairing screw is almost stripped, which i thought is strange for a screw to strip after first use.

A few thoughts:

1) I have used thin rubber sheet under a filter strap wrench before to provide some traction on difficult filters. In a pinch, a rubber glove can work for this.

2) My battery strap was not connected either. It is a bit difficult to do and I figured the $7 per hour teenager that my Honda dealer probably employed to set up my bike went into Attention Deficit Disorder mode before he got it connected.

3) Were you using ball-end wrenches on these bolts? With a button head screw, the hex is not very deep and a ball-end will not make full contact. I have buggered a few and now only use straight cut hex keys for these kind of bolts.

I took my father for a ride. He's 75 and went blind about 3 years ago, the last time he was on a bike was riding with me on my '83 Interceptor about 1986. He was so nervious he was shaking and said he did'nt know if he could even sit on the back because he can't see. I told him to just hang on like he use to and keep his body limber and following mine. For the first few minutes his helmet banged the back of mine with every upshift, but after about 3 miles I could hear him laughing. 20 mile ride and when he got home he carried my spare helmet into his bedroom and put it on his nightstand, saying he needed a place for "his" helmet. I guess I got a new riding partner.

I took my father for a ride. He's 75 and went blind about 3 years ago, the last time he was on a bike was riding with me on my '83 Interceptor about 1986. He was so nervous he was shaking and said he didn't know if he could even sit on the back because he can't see. I told him to just hang on like he use to and keep his body limber and following mine. For the first few minutes his helmet banged the back of mine with every upshift, but after about 3 miles I could hear him laughing. 20 mile ride and when he got home he carried my spare helmet into his bedroom and put it on his nightstand, saying he needed a place for "his" helmet. I guess I got a new riding partner.

Aww, Cutter J. Duke, that was really nice. I could not begin to imagine how much that meant to him, to experience that again. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us.

That is a compelling story and brings the saying "four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul" into clarity. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Lee but I think I found what I needed around the house.

The plastic box a MityVac came in donated a piece of thin plastic sheet to the project. I intended to use this to make a 3D template and transfer that pattern to a new and never used Shoei face shield I was going to use for the prototype of a small wind screen needed below the bottom of the National Cycle Wind Deflector DX. (Retired the helmet a few months ago and never used this spare Shoei face shield).

I installed the template in place to check for fit and since it is supported in 5 places it seems to be just fine despite being very thin. The convex bend of the screen gives it strength beyond it's thickness. I am going to leave it like this for a while and see how durable it is. Pics to follow.

I had a Wind Deflector DX like this one for 40,000 miles on my R100. Being able to rake it back at a steep angle makes it work great for my 5'6" height. I like my helmet in clear air. The wind breaks at the top of my chest below the helmet chin bar with my head in clear air with this set up. The minimally turbulent flow is at neck tie level. This windshield has a cut out at the bottom to set on or above a headlight which on a NC700 leaves an opening below the instrument pod. The small lower windshield blocks air, rain, bugs, debris, from passing below the upper shield and under the instrument pod. The gap between the two pieces allows some air past and lessens negative pressure directly behind the wind shield.

I took my father for a ride. He's 75 and went blind about 3 years ago, the last time he was on a bike was riding with me on my '83 Interceptor about 1986. He was so nervious he was shaking and said he did'nt know if he could even sit on the back because he can't see. I told him to just hang on like he use to and keep his body limber and following mine. For the first few minutes his helmet banged the back of mine with every upshift, but after about 3 miles I could hear him laughing. 20 mile ride and when he got home he carried my spare helmet into his bedroom and put it on his nightstand, saying he needed a place for "his" helmet. I guess I got a new riding partner.
That got even a hardhearted cynical old biker like me going a bit misty eyed

Paducah, Ky to Santa Rosa, NM. Stock seat, but I stand on the pegs a lot. The rostra cruise helps a lot. Honda tall wind screen, (it could be bigger), Honda bags, heated grips, ( they work great), light mount and twisted throttle minny lights.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back