• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Soft Luggage/Tailbag with homemade support bracket

Little Ed

Reaction score
Visit site
I wanted to share my homemade support bracket that I made of 1/2" CPVC to support the MotoCentric soft luggage saddle bags & tail bags that I purchased. I opted for this strategy for multiple reasons. It cost less than $10 for the parts, plus the PVC cleaner/glue and the paint. This was my prototype model and unless I see any major problems, there may not be a version #2. I have driven with the bags loaded for well over 100 miles and have not noticed any problems with shifting of either the bags or the brace. This brace is installed or removed in about 4 seconds and can be easily carried with the luggage. Without this brace, the saddle bags would obviously tuck-in toward the wheels. This brace/bracket aligns the saddle bags with the tail of the bike, so they will taper inward toward the rear of the bike.

Gas fillup was extremely easy and could be done without removing the tail bag from the saddle bag hookup points. Disconnect the two front and the two rear saddle bag tiedowns and lift the entire set of three bags, positioning them forward onto the riders seat. After the fillup, return them to the rear and rehook the 4 straps. If you travel with another person who can assist- one person on each side of the bike makes this an extremely easy 10 second task. Note in one of the pictures that the rear saddlebag connections attach to the tail CPVC pipe on the opposite side and go under the tail extension to the opposite saddle bag. With both of these hooked in the opposite direction they lock and hold the support bracket into position on the tail and keep it from shifting.

If this concept can be enhanced please share your ideas. One major flaw I had seen is that I was not able to perfectly align the "saddled PVC section" perfectly to the bikes pipes. I needed more than 90 degrees of angle and would have loved to use two 60 degree "street L" connectors...but they apparently do not make them. Note that there is two foam pieces on the inner portion of the "saddle clamp" which help hold it tight to the bike, when installing. It is not intended to be left on the bike without the bags.

IMG_20130508_073716.jpgIMG_20130508_074321.jpgIMG_20130508_075036.jpgIMG_20130508_074344.jpgIMG_20130508_075428.jpgIMG_20130508_075411.jpgIMG_20130508_075501.jpg

yes, the tension on the front and rear straps help lock it in place. I needed to have a way to install it so that it was properly positoned on the bike prior to putting the saddle bags on. The back section of the bracket sets on the tail extension, and the forward portion of the brace is held onto the bikes pipes with the two saddled PVC sections. The two strips of foam inside the top/bottom of the saddled PVC section help hold it firmly. Once the straps are attached it seems to be very secure.

Now that is what i was looking for.didn't want to spend the money for brackets but found the soft bags i want.good job.

Great ingenuity!!! One possible suggestion might be to fill the interior of the pipe with expanded foam (Great Stuff, or equivalent) to give it a little extra internal strength and resistance to deflection. You could inject it at each saddle.

Great idea, and good looking, too. If Honda sold that it would be $180, plus the foam pieces would be a separate part number you'd need to order.

Greg

Thanks for the feedback. We will see how it works over time.

Lee- the saddles at each end are merely screwed on (intentionally did not glue them). I will remove both and try to spray the foam into the CPVC, from each end. Hopefully I cna get it past the glued 90 degree fitting. Thanks for the suggestion.

Incidentally, if anyone wants the parts list and the pipe lengths I used, let me know. I jotted them down somewhere, in case I had to make or modify another unit.

Ed

Neat,,well executed,,I wonder if it would be even more useful, if it was positioned lower!!!!

I assume it could be tailered to fit other soft saddlebags. I specifically set this up to fit the Motocentric bag about 1.5 inches from the bottom edge. This specific configuration would have to be altered for other saddlebag shapes or designs. Also I have no plans to fill these bags with heavy or high density items like a gallon of milk. For that I would think a metal support structure would be preferred. The plastic CPvc appears to work well holding the saddlebags apart at the bottom when full of clothes, shoes and some canned goods

Thanks for the bump, I completely missed this the first time around. Very neat and very ingenious! I'm curious as to how well it's held up.

Big thumb up, Little Ed. I have the Cortech Sports "tri-bag" setup, very similar to yours. I will look into making a set of braces like yours or StratTuner

yes, the tension on the front and rear straps help lock it in place. I needed to have a way to install it so that it was properly positoned on the bike prior to putting the saddle bags on. The back section of the bracket sets on the tail extension, and the forward portion of the brace is held onto the bikes pipes with the two saddled PVC sections. The two strips of foam inside the top/bottom of the saddled PVC section help hold it firmly. Once the straps are attached it seems to be very secure.

Very nice. I would have done it the same way. I don't have the same bags however, but I do have some similar ones ( http://www.vikingbags.com/axe-sports-bikes-motorcycle-saddlebags.htm ). I actually REALLY like your 3 bag set up. The way theres a middle bag really adds to the usefulness of it. Plus I think from an aesthetics point of view, i like it more too.

I gotta admit I did this with Little Ed's amazing parts list and it holds up beautifully! Just had to go to the states to get the parts since the local hardware stores had none of the parts. Love and it cost me under $10 in parts! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Back