• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stalled it, wouldn't restart

Dennis M

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm out for a nice ride enjoying our unseasonably nice weather, heading back toward home, as I'm going through Lexington, Mo. I had to stop at one of the only two traffic lights in town. This is on a hill, one steep enough that you need to hold the brake on to keep from rolling backwards. I should have used the foot brake instead of the hand brake because when I started to go I managed to kill the engine, (I suppose that wouldn't have happened if I had a DCT) immediately hit the starter switch, but no joy it wouldn't restart. I then was able to roll back and off to the side to get out of the way of traffic behind me, got it turned around and pointed down the hill thinking maybe I could bump start it, I've done that in the past with other bikes, but it has been a long time and had forgotten that you need to do it in second gear not first, so when I let out the clutch all it did was skid the tire. So then I put it in second and tried again, this time the motor turned over a couple of times before the tire skidded and now I was out of hill to roll down.

Of course the battery's dead in my cell phone because I only have one of those cheap pre-paid phones that I hardly ever use and am always forgetting to charge.
Then I walked back up the hill and across the street to a McD's and asked if I could barrow their phone, called AMA roadside assistance, gave the nice lady my information, she said there was tow truck on the way and should take about an hour. I didn't really check the time but I'm pretty sure it didn't take that long. From where I was at to my house was just under the 35 mile limit, so it didn't cost me anything.

While waiting for the tow I remembered I have a volt meter that plugs into my battery tender lead (it was in the frunk with a bunch of other stuff) it showed 12.4 volts. I also tried starting it again, the dash & the fuel pump did their thing, but when I hit the starter button all I got was a clicking sound, I guess 12.4 volts isn't enough to turn the starter motor. I think I'm going to have to get a new battery.
Dennis

Hi Dennis, This really is incredible weather we're having. I set out as well - right after the Chiefs game. I might have passed near you except that I was chasing the river a little further west. There are a couple DIY checks that come to mind on this:
1. Is there any chance one of the battery cables has worked itself loose or gotten corroded?
2. Can you fully charge the battery and then check the battery voltage reading while cranking the engine?
3. If the engine starts, can you put a volt meter on it and read the voltage when the engine is running?

- Saturday.

Try turning your kill switch on and off a few times to see if it is stuck in the kill position.

Try turning your kill switch on and off a few times to see if it is stuck in the kill position.

Dennis said he got a clicking sound when pressing the starter button while waiting for the tow, so the kill switch must have been making contact.

To me, it sounds like a bad connection at the battery, or one of these rare but mysterious early battery failures that have been reported on the forum.

The obvious things are add ons that take power or corroded or loose cables. I saw a video recently where a guy walked away from the bike and left his gps on.

I have a 2013 X as well.
I also had to replace my battery this year.
Fortunately I was at home and not on the road.
Got it started and got it to the Honda dealer.
They checked the battery and the charging system.
Said it was the battery.
They said I could have the one out of the bike on the sales floor or wait a week for one to come in.
I choose wait a week since I had no idea how old the one was in the bike on the sales floor.
But, after 3 years my battery went as well.
Used the bike all winter so it is not as if the bike sat unattended.
And when it was too snowy or icy (not much of that stuff last winter) I would start the bike once a week and let it idle for 5 to 10 minutes.
Sounds like three years is the magic number.

God bless!!

Michael

Shortly after getting it home I plugged it in to my battery tender, let it charge overnight, this morning it chowed 13 volts. Turned on the key and hit the starter button fired right up, was showing 14 volts at idle speed. This is what I'm using to check voltage https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Tend...id=1479158474&sr=1-28&keywords=battery+tender

Left it unplugged from charger while I went out for a 25 mile bicycle ride, when I got back home it was showing 12.7 volts. Connections are tight and there is no sign of corrosion. The only electrical add on I have is a dash cam that's hooked up to a USB port that only has power when the ignition switch is on.
Dennis

It's hard to believe I can go out on my bicycle in the middle of November with just shorts and a tee shirt, they say 3 more days on this weather and then our first deep freeze for the year.

I typically expect 7 or 8 years from batteries. 3 years would be very disappointing.

Dennis M.

I just replaced my battery also. A 2013 DCT that was put in service in 2015. I am thinkin' it could have been a bad year for the batteries. But I really think it just sat too long before put in service - most likely. That is what happens to batteries if they sit. They get so discharged they can never get back their original capacity.
When you charge a battery and take off the charger and check the voltage it is a false voltage (high) called a surface charge. Let it sit a couple of hours and recheck or put a load on it for a few minutes - headlights are great loads - and then check.
If you rode it charging at 14+v and it cannot start the bike the next day the batt is toast.
Yes. Corroded terminals/bad connections can cause things but if the v is checked at the battery then all that stuff is eliminated from the equation.
I never did well with long equations.....

Mine went from 12.7v to 12.6v just sitting overnight. Obviously it could no longer hold a charge.
A fully charged 12v battery reads 12.7v. Dead is 12v. 11.9 - deader than dead.
Discharging to more than 50% it's capacity (12.4) drastically reduces it's life.

And the things are like 100 bucks. :mad:

Last edited:
I've only been able to extend the life of all of my motorcycle batteries by keeping them on a tender when not in use. If I rode everyday, I wouldn't worry about it. However, I often go a week or two without riding and it provides some piece of mind as well to know that it fully charged when I leave my garage. Most battery experiences are different for everybody due to various climates, riding frequency etc. There is no hard and fast rule for everyone.

Back