• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Stock Dunlop tires - Not forcasting a long life

I just got off the phone with Honda in California about my rear tire (Dunlop) issue. It is indeed a consumable part, but he said to take to a dealer (that'll be fun-NOT) to have them evaluate the condition, and the dealer can interact with Honda resources of their use for further advice/instructions. Hmmm... :/

This is an old thread but my comment is the OEM Dunlop D609 Trailmax does wear fast but it only had 5/32" of tread when new when most rear MC tires start at 8/32" or more. It's a thing I measure when new and periodically over the life of a tire to forecast tire life. OCD most likely. The Michelin Anakee 3s I put on the Tiger started at a little over 9/32". I already bought a pair of Bridgestone T30 Evos to replace the Dunlops (soon) and the rear T30 measures 8+/32". Fronts are almost always 5/32" when new. These depths hold across all the brands and tires I've used in appx. 245,000 miles.

My stock Dunlops wore out at 3200 miles and they were shot. Tried to see if I could get them replaced under warranty and the dealer laughed and said that would never happen at any dealership. Reports from people who have been lucky to get them replaced for free have a great dealer. Shame on Honda for replacing the Bridgestone tires on earlier models which lasted 4x as long with these Dunlop turds.

This is an old thread but my comment is the OEM Dunlop D609 Trailmax does wear fast but it only had 5/32" of tread when new when most rear MC tires start at 8/32" or more. It's a thing I measure when new and periodically over the life of a tire to forecast tire life. OCD most likely. The Michelin Anakee 3s I put on the Tiger started at a little over 9/32". I already bought a pair of Bridgestone T30 Evos to replace the Dunlops (soon) and the rear T30 measures 8+/32". Fronts are almost always 5/32" when new. These depths hold across all the brands and tires I've used in appx. 245,000 miles.

Interesting fact, Dave. I'm having to put new tires on my 2015 ... ~4100 miles and both front and rear Dunlops are done. From everything I've read, they seem to wear quick, but if they are starting with 37% less tread, that would make sense (and would, if simple math holds, roughly equal a 6500 mile life based on my wear).

1400 miles, rear tire done

if you search you will find Honda replaced some Dunlop's for premature wear-(less than 2500 miles) in Europe.
my rear tire was shot after 1400 miles (that was a 3 day week end ride to Arkansas) . i took this issue to my dealer, and contacted Honda.
Dealer asked me if had been to the track, my reply ,why would you take a NC700X to a track. Honda told me sorry can't help you.
i was prepping for a ride to Alaska so i did not have time to waste, so i bought some new tires took care it myself. i did save the tire and
in process to starting a case with the NHTSA. if that would have been a 4 day weekend ride that tire would've never made it home.
i personally think that a tire not lasting 1500 mile is unaceptable and dangerous , Honda seems to disagree.
we will see

Ride Safe

I tried warranty for my tires as well, and told them Honda UK was warrantying the tires over in europe. Honda US said they didn't think 3000mi was "premature wear", so basically pound sand.

Worst part is that I saw the same tires on the new Africa Twin at a dealership!

I think the 2016's are better. I have just over 5,000 miles on them and they don't look too bad at all, plenty of tread left. I am hoping they will last until the end of riding season.

I think the 2016's are better. I have just over 5,000 miles on them and they don't look too bad at all, plenty of tread left. I am hoping they will last until the end of riding season.

What is this "riding season" you speak of? :D ...just kidding.

5K miles would be twice what I got out of my Cheesemax tires.

I got 3,000 miles out of my trail craps on my 2015 DCT. Replaced them with Continental Trail Attack 2's. Wow, huge handling difference. Bike goes into the corners better and ride feels smoother. We'll see how long they last.

I'm getting fairly good mileage so far, Ithink they are agreat tyre but I will swap them out once they are done for a set of BT 23s I got during the sale.

What is this "riding season" you speak of? :D ...just kidding.

5K miles would be twice what I got out of my Cheesemax tires.

April-November. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. I got heated everything, so when the snow melts to when it shows up. :)

I should go look at the codes my tires to figure out what date/batch they're from.
That might give us some clues as to which Dunlops suck and which don't.

April-November. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later. I got heated everything, so when the snow melts to when it shows up. :)

I should go look at the codes my tires to figure out what date/batch they're from.
That might give us some clues as to which Dunlops suck and which don't.

I think my tires are 2012 but not sure if this is the code:

b0aad0d5cc61850872252bc3e73db7b1.jpg

Mileage:
f9d40beae8446a7995731ba95a8aa721.jpg

Rear Wear:
acb642d9a85b1a0cb66df8b0e0cef9eb.jpg

Front Wear:
8db42a0c406c3bf84c122e2b1a2137b8.jpg

There's still about 2mm of tread on the rear and about 3mm on the front before the wear indicators are exposed, however they are worn flat on the center so I might not keep them much longer. Can't decide what to replace them with, PR4's or an 80/20...

I think my tires are 2012 but not sure if this is the code:

The date code is usually in an oval and shows the two digit week and two digit year of manufacture, like this:
image.jpg

I now have 2956 mi. on my 2016 NC700XD and am down to the wear bars on the front tire. The rear is slightly better, but not much. Can't believe they thought these tires were adequate for the market. I tried to get the dealer to swap/give me credit for them before I bought it, but no deal. Sure like the bike though. PR3s are sitting the the shop and will be mounted by next week. :)

wow, got 10,000 or so on my Bridgestone BT-023, hoping they'll get an occasional day in until early spring changeover.

Back