• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

swingarm to rear wheel spacing

serge

Reaction score
Visit site
Greetings ! Can someone please check swingarm to rear wheel distance on a chain side of NC ?
I have 2 mm on mine and it strikes me as too close. I was wondering if I put a wrong spacer or something...

rear_wheel_sm.jpg

If you use the other side of the calipers you'll get a more accurate reading. ;)

Mine aren't that fancy (some plastic ones from when I was a kid), but I'll measure it tomorrow and take a pic.

da3d8b68b612410e43fe4c9c6f3fde65.jpg

Spacing in my CTX seems to be pretty much the same.

Due to the geometries of the swing arm, the other side of the calipers don't work. Measured with a feeler gauge, the space is nominally 2 mm.

DSC_0057.jpg
I get about 2.40mm (or about 3/32"), as measured with the backside of my calipers. There's virtually no zero error, but they're plastic so they may be a little inacurate due to deformation.

You can use the points opposite the jaws to measure INSIDE measurements, which is their purpose.

In ref to spacers for the rear wheel, the NC only has one on the sprocket side and its fairly short. On the brake side, the caliper carrier acts as the spacer.

Thanks a lot guys ! I guess they designed it so tight to prevent rocks getting in there and jamming the wheel.. I am a third owner of the bike and it came with some mods. When I ran out of chain adjustment, I found that the plates on the end of swingarms were put in wrong (concave side out). I do not understand why on earth you need to take them out for any task, so I guess I became a bit paranoid about things assembled correctly.

AsureDawn, it is also calming to see that I am not the only one here who is not getting 70 mpg on this bike. I always average below 60 mpg..

Now I need to figure out why I never heard the fan going on even at 90s F waiting on a railroad crossing ;)

You can use the points opposite the jaws to measure INSIDE measurements, which is their purpose.
That's what I used, just couldn't see the scale if I was holding it in that orientation. ;)

@serge, yeah, but my mpg may be improving. I've been shifting sooner, and it seems to be helping fuel economy a good bit. It's hard to resist the urge to cruise at 3k rpm.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot guys ! I guess they designed it so tight to prevent rocks getting in there and jamming the wheel.. I am a third owner of the bike and it came with some mods. When I ran out of chain adjustment, I found that the plates on the end of swingarms were put in wrong (concave side out). I do not understand why on earth you need to take them out for any task, so I guess I became a bit paranoid about things assembled correctly.

If the bike has a manual transmission, there is a scenario where the adjuster plates might be found installed upside down:

The owner or service shop mistakenly orders and installs a 112 link DCT final drive chain. The DCT chain is two links shorter than the manual's chain. They install the chain but can't figure out why it won't fit, then realize it would fit with the adjusters concave. Oh, they think must have first tried put it together wrong, so they leave it with the adjusters concave and they never knew they had installed the wrong chain.

If your bike is a manual, for fun, count the links in the chain. There should be 114. Even if you have 114, it could have had the wrong chain in the past and that's when the adjusters got flipped.

Last edited:
If the bike has a manual transmission, there is a scenario where the adjuster plates might be found installed upside down:

The owner or service shop mistakenly orders and installs a 112 link DCT final drive chain. The DCT chain is two links shorter than the manual's chain. They install the chain but can't figure out why it won't fit, then realize it would fit with the adjusters concave. Oh, they think must have first tried put it together wrong, so they leave it with the adjusters concave and they never knew they had installed the wrong chain.

If your bike is a manual, for fun, count the links in the chain. There should be 114. Even if you have 114, it could have had the wrong chain in the past and that's when the adjusters got flipped.

Thanks Greg for possible explanation. It is manual transmission. I ordered new 114 links chain and will compare it with the old one when replacing it ..

Awesome explanation 670, never even occurred to me.

I usually buy a 120 link chain, put it on, measure and then cut, but I never count the links after. Next time I'll just slap a 112 on it -- since I put a 39 tooth (DCT) rear sprocket on.

Awesome explanation 670, never even occurred to me.

I usually buy a 120 link chain, put it on, measure and then cut, but I never count the links after. Next time I'll just slap a 112 on it -- since I put a 39 tooth (DCT) rear sprocket on.
Is your bike a manual or a DCT? I split the difference and have a 41 sprocket on the rear but I'm thinking the next time I but a set of sprockets I would just drop all the way down to 39, I haven't heard of anyone else doing that yet so I wasn't sure if I would be spreading the gears a little too far?

Back