• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Switch Box for accessoires

I'm back...

Today I drilled two holes for the two main power wires and the eight outgoing wires. I wanted to have all through one hole but after a lot of pushing and pulling, it seemed too tight.
For extra protection (beside the rubber grommets) I used a piece of shrinking tube in the power intake, causing a tight fit and a great pull protection on the wires.
The thick bundle (?) also got a shrink tube (transparent) but after shrinking it would not fit anymore through the grommet, whether I jumped high or low (Dutch expression). So I had to remove the whole tubing, cutting it with a knive, very very careful. Unfortunately the blue wire got damaged so made a new one on the go.

Finally all wires are in and through and quite ready to connect to the components, which will be done tomorrow (my schedule is a stretched one ;)).
Just to keep you satisfied, a picture...

IMG_20170412_switchbox4.jpg

After doing my "household tasks" :p... I continued to my project again. It took a while before I had arranged all the wiring to the dedicated components, it was a real tight fit, I should have shorten some wires or buy a larger box instead, but hey, it's all in and after screwing the lid in place, there is no space for moving/rattling stuff which is also a good thing I guess.

IMG_20170413_switchbox5.jpg

Though I'm confident that no shortcuts can occur, a swift test for the switches and its illumination.

IMG_20170413_switchbox6.jpg

The LEDs inside the switches are small (probably 3mm ~ 0.1") but are bright enough under a 10 Watt LED work light so in daylight/direct sunlight it should be fine also.

The next step I want to do, is put a rubber backing on to get an equal level on the bottom which functions as a anti-skid of the box when mounted to the battery access panel.

IMG_20170413_switchbox7.jpg

What glue is suitable for rubber on ABS plastic?

Probably a 5 minute epoxy would work well. It's my default when there are weird materials going together. An excellent product for rubber is 3M's 1300L. It is unnecessarily strong but works great in a really wide number of applications.

I use it regularly to apply deice boots to aircraft wings and I heard stories of my late father using it in intake manifolds for certain GM motors with a tendency to pull air in at the gasket.

But unless you want it around for projects the 1300L is probably overkill. Even Walmart has 5 min. epoxy for under $10.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks rymech for your answer.
At the moment I have put some Bison assembly adhesive paste for testing. If that isn't sufficient, I try the epoxy stuff.

Jb weld has a few different epoxy products and I've had the most success with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry guys, I've been off the grid unintentionally but I have found you again! This year has been a fine riding year and the ODO ended halfway November at 8600 kms, so almost 6000 kms (4000 mls) in 2017. The bike is doing wonderful.

Now, I owe you the second part of the accessoires box, yes? Update on this, the box has found his way into my car (which is one of the smallest in the world and fits me despite measuring myself at 6'3"), to switch the central door locking, underglow lighting, trunk lights and an extra blower for hot days (no airconditioning, hell even no power steering...).

Back to this topic. I've made a new switch box to fit exactly into the tool pouch compartment on the battery access panel. I completed the pictures with some language you all can understand.
Enjoy!

switch box small 01.jpg

switch box small 02.jpg

switch box small 03.jpg

switch box small 04.jpg

switch box small 05.jpg

switch box small 06.jpg

switch box small 07.jpg

switch box small 08.jpg

switch box small 09.jpg

switch box small 10.jpg

switch box small 11.jpg