• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Switching Between Tires

Adriel

Reaction score
Visit site
My NCX is primarily a commuter, but I do want to take it out on forest service roads and pack trails on long weekend rides. Thinking about picking up a TKC80 set, but wondering how practical it is to swap between the tire sets as needed - street tires normally, then throw on the dual sport tires for a weekend outing? Shop price to do so would add up quick. Can it be done fairly easily with hand tools without buggering up the tires? Or do you really need to have a tire changer on hand taking up space in the garage?

In regards to balancing... I have seen folks going both ways about whether balancing beads work or not.... but, I'm wondering if I could keep the wheel weights in place for the street tires, making sure to line the street tires back up on the rim exactly as they were before taking them off, and use beads in the knobbies to keep balance when they're mounted.

Also, wondering if the Slime Top Off Inflators are powerful enough to fill up our tires after a flat in the field? It is small enough to tuck into the fairing gap in front of the frunk, which would be convenient, but if it's not powerful enough to make a field repair then it's pointless.

Even though I have done much of my own mechanical work before, I have never actually done any tire work and want to make sure I'm headed in the right direction. I apologize if the questions sound ridiculous, but I do appreciate any insight you all have to offer! :)

If I was going to keep changing out the tires, you have to be careful not to break the tires cords when changing. So I would have to have these tools:

MotionProBead.jpg Plus 1 more tire iron. Must have 3 tire irons to make easy.

Slime.jpg Slim 8 minute pump would be the smallest I would use.

This is a lot of work. I would consider a tire like the Continental Attack 2.

Continental Attack 2.jpg

I changed my tires by hand. If I was going to do that on a regular bases I would invest in a tire changer.
I suggest looking at Ride-on for balancing.
There is a slightly larger Slime pump that would be better and still fits in the gap. It doesn’t have a built in gauge but is more robust. The top-off is meant for adding a few pounds and not for running a long time.
There are a couple of threads on tires I suggest you read to get some opinions on tires and on the tire changer.

When I did a bunch of (pedal) mountain bike stuff, I had several sets of wheels - Same hubs, rims, gears - just different tires. Not the cheap way to go but easiest swap for the task at hand.

Thanks for the input guys. I do like Old Can Ride's advice here, just wait for the stock tires to need replacing (likely right about next spring) then put on the Conti's. Looks like they're well suited for the occasional off road jaunt taken a bit carefully. Just returned a slime pump that was too large to fit, I'll look for the 8 minute / Motorcycle Tire Inflator.

Back