• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Thumping and lagging on my 2013 NC700X DCT annoys me, a lot

Afan

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi to all,
I own a 2013 NC700X DCT that I purchased in 2017 with only 1,500 miles from the first owner. Currently, it has 35,000 miles on the odometer.

I really like and enjoy the DCT, except for the lagging and thumping issues. These have been bothering me since the beginning, and over the last two years, they seem to have worsened to the point where I no longer enjoy riding it. The noise and vibrations have become quite noticeable in the handlebars, footpegs, and seat. It sounds like a single-cylinder thumper, almost as if it's going to stall.

I tried a similar model from the same year at the local dealership, and it also exhibited some lag, although much less than mine. While I understand that all NCs with DCT will experience some lag and thumping, I feel that in my case, it's a bit excessive.

I recorded a video to demonstrate the issue, and you can find the link here. It may not be very obvious, but I hope you can recognize it. The worst thumping would happen when I'm in 6th gear, the speed is going down and when between 38 and 40 I slowly roll the throttle. It will stay in the 6th gear but vey loud. If I roll the throttle a bit faster it will downshift to 5th gear. If I'm in the S-mode there is no thumping.

Thanks for any help.

If the engine has felt the same for all those miles, from beginning to now, I doubt it has a mechanical issue. I know from my experience owning two different NC700Xs, that one unit can be smoother running than another, with no obvious explanation. I quickly grow tired of shaky, noisy engines, and I understand how you can reach a point of not enjoying the ride anymore.

Your last paragraph suggests (as expected) that gear choice affects the engine behavior. Honda DCT programming for D mode is what it is, and in my opinion, not ideal. While it might sound like an overly simplistic suggestion, but why not just ride it in S mode, or manual mode? In manual mode you will be in full control, so you can run the engine in it’s smoother RPM zones.

Hi to all,
I own a 2013 NC700X DCT that I purchased in 2017 with only 1,500 miles from the first owner. Currently, it has 35,000 miles on the odometer.

I really like and enjoy the DCT, except for the lagging and thumping issues. These have been bothering me since the beginning, and over the last two years, they seem to have worsened to the point where I no longer enjoy riding it. The noise and vibrations have become quite noticeable in the handlebars, footpegs, and seat. It sounds like a single-cylinder thumper, almost as if it's going to stall.

I tried a similar model from the same year at the local dealership, and it also exhibited some lag, although much less than mine. While I understand that all NCs with DCT will experience some lag and thumping, I feel that in my case, it's a bit excessive.

I recorded a video to demonstrate the issue, and you can find the link here. It may not be very obvious, but I hope you can recognize it. The worst thumping would happen when I'm in 6th gear, the speed is going down and when between 38 and 40 I slowly roll the throttle. It will stay in the 6th gear but vey loud. If I roll the throttle a bit faster it will downshift to 5th gear. If I'm in the S-mode there is no thumping.

Thanks for any help.
That would drive me crazy and I would drive everyone else crazy here in my search to find a cause and solution. I wish I had an answer but 670 and others here have lots of experience and knowledge.

While it might sound like an overly simplistic suggestion, but why not just ride it in S mode, or manual mode? In manual mode you will be in full control, so you can run the engine in it’s smoother RPM zones.
I ride most of the time in manual mode. It still gives me the pleasure to "change gears" at smooth, easy, etc. way. Probably about 70% of the time.
Regarding the S mode, I'm a "slow rider" (stop laughing, I meant speedwise :mad:), low RPMs... I don't like to ride faster than 60-65 mph on back roads, enjoying scenery, small towns... In S mode I feel rushed, higher RPMs, more vibrations and buzzing. And then I have to stop much more often to fill the tank. It's not about making stops more often, it's that I have to think all the time to be near next gas station...
I know I can "correct" the current gear position by shifting up or down, but if I have to shift all the time I'll rather than ride in M. :)

I ride most of the time in manual mode. It still gives me the pleasure to "change gears" at smooth, easy, etc. way. Probably about 70% of the time.
Regarding the S mode, I'm a "slow rider" (stop laughing, I meant speedwise :mad:), low RPMs... I don't like to ride faster than 60-65 mph on back roads, enjoying scenery, small towns... In S mode I feel rushed, higher RPMs, more vibrations and buzzing. And then I have to stop much more often to fill the tank. It's not about making stops more often, it's that I have to think all the time to be near next gas station...
I know I can "correct" the current gear position by shifting up or down, but if I have to shift all the time I'll rather than ride in M. :)
I understand that S mode can feel too frantic. I don’t like automatics that tend to keep the engine on “boil” much of the time.

Unless DCT riders can offer you other tips or solutions, my thought is that it’s the nature of the beast. Maybe time for a different motorcycle? Try electric, and you’ll never be bothered by noise, vibration, or need to shift gears again!

God Des Moines is sh**thole when it comes to dealerships.
I took my NC to the service, first since I bought, to new dealership Stroom that bought out Garvis Honda and several other dealerships, BMW, Indian, Ducati. While waiting I asked to test ride 2015 NC700x manual. Kind of compare to my bike. I was told 15 min. I returned after 30 min. First, the clock on the dashboard was showing 1:00 all the time and then I hit some road construction that I had to take the detour.
They agreed to allow me to test ride new CB500 before o left, and when back they said no. Because I was late.
They just lost me as a customer. My bike was already on the lift otherwise I would take it home.
Service is probably good but "front end" sucks. All the same story from Garvis Honda.

Last edited:
All in one’s perceptions I suppose. I don’t find S frantic at all and if in D at ~40 mph and if I ask the engine to deliver more power now from that low of rpm I just thumb down a gear or two and let the engine run up where it feels smoother.

The 270 degree twin imo is a lumpy beast, with that designed into it ( like almost all of the P Twins being built since 2012 regardless of manufacturer). Designed to mimic a VTwins pulses. They call it " character". Some guys like it, and it bothers others. It bothers me, but I am living with it. If you cant learn to live with it, you can try a Yamaha triple, or an I-4, but each engine type has its own characteristics.

My 2003 865cc 360 degree p twin Triumph with counter balancers was much much smoother than my NC, and I love the smoothness of my CB 1100 I-4.

I did this after I got the bike and it adjusted the shift points to how I drive. It really made a difference.

Also do not forget that there are 3 different sport settings. I found that the lowest level really does not keep the bike's RPM very high. Good luck!

I did this after I got the bike and it adjusted the shift points to how I drive. It really made a difference.

Also do not forget that there are 3 different sport settings. I found that the lowest level really does not keep the bike's RPM very high. Good luck!
First, the DCT reset procedure is a clutch engagement calibration and it does not affect RPM or load/throttle based shift points.

Second, the thread title and the first post states that the OP has a 2013 model. The 2013 model NC700X has a D mode and one S mode. It does not have “3 different sport settings”.

Welcome!

The early NCs did not have 3 Sport settings. Depending on market that upgrade came along after several years of having just D and S modes.

Well, I noticed a big difference in the shift points. I have a 2016 and didn't realize that those only had one S setting.

Placebo effect lol

What I have noticed (or believe I notice) on my 21 DCT is if I'm more aggressive with the throttle, ie: faster rotation, further rotation, it shifts later ....... if I'm easier with the throttle ie: slower rotation not as far rotation, it shifts earlier without having to resort to using the modes for different shift behavior. If I want to ride a little aggressively, I just get aggressive with the throttle, plus of course I can always use the shift paddles too even in automatic mode.

The 21 -23 models have standard, rain and sport modes plus a 4th user mode that the user sets up how he chooses. I have my user mode set up between standard and sport, but in all honesty I never use any mode other than standard, which the bike reverts to any time the ignition is turned off.

I usually ride in sport 2 and manually up or down shift when I feel the computer is lagging.
For some reason my 2020 seems to like to hold 3rd gear longer than I would like. Otherwise its flawless and love my DCT.
Most of my riding is in town and I don’t get above 60mph very often.
Only time I use D is on the highway. In town D wants to be in to high of gear. I guess I like to always be on the front edge of the power band.

That sound is bizarre. Mine has never made that noise... but it is not DCT. I would look at a valve adjustment, clean the fuel injectors, check the spark plugs, and test the coils. Granted that's a lot of work on this bike just to get to some of those components.

God Des Moines is sh**thole when it comes to dealerships.
I took my NC to the service, first since I bought, to new dealership Stroom that bought out Garvis Honda and several other dealerships, BMW, Indian, Ducati. While waiting I asked to test ride 2015 NC700x manual. Kind of compare to my bike. I was told 15 min. I returned after 30 min. First, the clock on the dashboard was showing 1:00 all the time and then I hit some road construction that I had to take the detour.
They agreed to allow me to test ride new CB500 before o left, and when back they said no. Because I was late.
They just lost me as a customer. My bike was already on the lift otherwise I would take it home.
Service is probably good but "front end" sucks. All the same story from Garvis Honda.
I apologize for this post, it supposed to go to the other post.
Although, about an hour after I posted the Google review (I was still in Stroom building, waiting on my bike) Dan, the manager, approached me about my negative review. We cleared up some issues and misunderstandings.
I was really nicely surprised with his approach. We had good talk. He cares about us, customers. The whole ting escalated when Sam, the salesperson, the one from Garvis, told him story that I test rode their bikes, for hours and hours...
I'm coming back to Strooms, hopefully soon, to fix my rear brake/master cylinder.

Back