• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tires: Continental "motion" report

What about tires that have a red dot and yellow dot on the same side of the tire 6 inches from each other. Which dot do you use? How about on a car tire and it directional so now the dot/dots are one the inside?

What about tires that have a red dot and yellow dot on the same side of the tire 6 inches from each other. Which dot do you use? How about on a car tire and it directional so now the dot/dots are one the inside?

Awaiting the answers to those three questions . . .

The "therory" is the yellow dot is suppose to be aligned with the valve for the best balance and the red is suppose to be aligned with the rims high spot which is indicated on the rim by a dimple. Therory is you don't want the high side on the tire to be aligned with the high side of the rim ( tires and rims are not made perfectly round). Considering almost every motorcycle tire I've mounted and spun on the balance they are some of the truest tires I've ever balance and rarely see any run out in them at all. If I observe any run out I simply return them to the supplier and order a new one. If there is a yellow dot on the rim I do line it up with the valve because I have OCD but it really doesn't make any difference.

UPDATE:

The current set of Continental Motion tires I have on are at 16,500. I decided to just run them as long as I could to see how far I could go.

At 16,500 miles, they are showing the steel belt under the rubber in places.
'Probably time to replace, but at least now I know what the limit is for this model tire. (interstate, and local paved roads ONLY)

I've run a set of motions on my last tour and they worked fantastic. I replaced them with the Coni Attacks just because I wanted to try a higher end on the Continental line. Happy so far.

I note that the 2015 model of the NC700X suggest valve adjustment every 16K (not 8K like the 2012 model).
My own experience over 50,000 miles is that the valves do not need adjustment every 8K.

My plan is to sync the valve adjustments with tires. Makes it simple for me.
Whenever I change the Continentals, it's time to do a valve job!

oh... and in an unrelated item....

I have been updating Fuelly for many miles. After a couple weeks, I usually end up with 10 or so receipts in my wallet with hand written notes about mileage. I sit and type these in to Fuelly.com.

Ahhh... but there is an App for that now. The fuelly app. It's wonderful. I gas up, take out ye old Galaxy s4 smart phone, and type in how many miles and how much gas. I then hit send, and I'm done. It posts the entry to my fuelly account for me... right then.
very cool.

Those of you who already use this app will say... I'm late to the party... but still, it seems worth mentioning.

latest set of Continetal motions lasted 10, 300... now that's down from the all time best of 16,000, but I'm sticking with this tire.

My last set of Motions got 12,000 miles on the front tire, and 8,000 miles on the rear tire. Carrying all the camping gear, it is easy to see why the rear tire does not get but 8,000 miles.

My last set of Motions got 12,000 miles on the front tire, and 8,000 miles on the rear tire. Carrying all the camping gear, it is easy to see why the rear tire does not get but 8,000 miles.

I wanted to site that this set carried alot of camping gear, but I didn't want to make excuses. I'm guessing the extra weight, over many miles, is the cause.

I just got a rear Conti motion to replace my OEM Pirelli Scorpion. got 12k out of them

I have to say that i am pretty impressed, I dont feel any difference as far as grip, the handling does feels a bit different. a bit slower to turn. but the best part is that it feel as upgradedsuspension. the tire absorb bumps and imperfections much better then the pirelli tire. the ride is way more comfortable now.

these tire used to be over $100 at some point for the rear. now they can be found for $80 bucks. i just have to hope that they last 12k plus.

[...I had the back sealed about 5 times, decided to replace...]

Wow...you had 5 plugs in the same tire? Another factor in the tire cost-per-mile is the labor to make the swap & balancing unless you're doing it at home.

[...I had the back sealed about 5 times, decided to replace...]

Wow...you had 5 plugs in the same tire? Another factor in the tire cost-per-mile is the labor to make the swap & balancing unless you're doing it at home.

The mount/balance cost for any brand is the same for me. It's a constant.

Next time out, I want to try the "cycle gear" store to see if they do competent work.
(I know they can mount, but can they balance accurately.)

I plan to retire in the next 2-3 years, and if I can't keep the cost down, then I'll have to find a cheaper hobby.
... sitting on a park bench ... feeding pigeons, maybe...

My first Conti motion lasted 5,500 miles with steel belt coming through by riding on back roads and Blueridge Parkway. Current Conti motion has over 6,000 and flat in middle but no cords due to 6,000 miles round trip from North Carolina to California and back plus more riding. over 5,000 miles on interstate. I guess it makes a big difference of the type of riding on rear tire. PR3 & PR4 normally runs out around 8,000 miles for me.

The mount/balance cost for any brand is the same for me. It's a constant.

Next time out, I want to try the "cycle gear" store to see if they do competent work.
(I know they can mount, but can they balance accurately.)

I plan to retire in the next 2-3 years, and if I can't keep the cost down, then I'll have to find a cheaper hobby.
... sitting on a park bench ... feeding pigeons, maybe...

cycle gear charges quite a bit for tire mount when you dont buy the tire from them. i think is 40 or 50. and 25 if you get the tire from them. and they wont price match.

the honda dealer charges $32 OTD even when you dont get the tire from them.

Just went through my first Conti Motion rear at 6500 miles and down to cords. Last tire was a Michelin PR4, got 12600 on it, stock Metzler was 8400. Going to try the Shinko Raven next. I will report back in about a year to let you know how it does.

On the front I got 15K out the the Metzler, and 12500 on the PR4 so far. Will probably change out to the Raven also on the front.

Live in AZ, mostly commuting, 80% highway with little traffic. Use Rideon in all my tires.

Just went through my first Conti Motion rear at 6500 miles and down to cords. Last tire was a Michelin PR4, got 12600 on it, stock Metzler was 8400. Going to try the Shinko Raven next. I will report back in about a year to let you know how it does.

On the front I got 15K out the the Metzler, and 12500 on the PR4 so far. Will probably change out to the Raven also on the front.

Live in AZ, mostly commuting, 80% highway with little traffic. Use Rideon in all my tires.

Shinko Raven front tire will give unreal milage, but the Shinko Raven rear is about the same a the Conti Motion.

Back