• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tow a UniGo trailer with an NC700x?

centex

Reaction score
www.cmraracing.com
I'm a 60 year young lifelong rider. I tend to keep bikes a long time. I have an '01 Ducati to satisfy my urges for 'day-ride sporting therapy' when needed. My main daily and touring/camping ride is an '04 ZG1000 Concours. I find that when 'touring' I'm riding slower and enjoying the view more as I 'mature'. I also find the high CG and total weight of the Connie are more of a burden with less payback since I'm doing less 'sporting' riding when touring and taking generally shorter trips (days instead of weeks, hundreds instead of a thousand miles per trip-day). So, I'm looking to downsize and the NC700x has caught my eye as a candidate.

The Connie has luggage and a custom Pelican-type topcase which lets me keep all my camping gear in weatherproof and lockable storage (no duffle-bags, etc). That luggage/topcase cubic inch capacity is not compatible with the NC700 (or any other 'downsize' bike I'm considering for that matter) from an appearance and bulk/weight distribution standpoint.

Though not particularly heavy (most everything is lightweight backpacker gear) some of it is long or bulky (tent poles, sleeping pad, kermit chair). So, I'm looking for bikes suitable for towing a small/narrow (5cuft/70lb empty) single-track trailer like the UniGo.

With all that background, to the NC-specific questions ...

- I estimate the loaded trailer+hitch would weigh around 140lb max, so approximately equal to a passenger. I'd be solo when towing and I'm 180 fully geared (ATTGATT rider here), so should be within the total load limits expected for the NC brakes (comment?).

- Yes, I'd expect some mileage and performance penalty with the added weight and aero drag. I would probably add a larger windscreen but not have any luggage or load other than myself on the bike itself. I'm not looking to set records on Deals Gap with this rig but I'd be unhappy in the long run if it won't briskly pass a slow motorhome on a posted 65-70mph road. Anyone notice a performance/mileage hit with a 'touring' size windscreen addition? Anyone care to comment on how your performance / mileage suffer with a pilot+passenger in the 320lb combined weight range?

- My looksee at the dealer indicates the relatively large OD rear frame rails and downtubes are accessible for a custom fab hitch mount but I could not see what sort of cross bracing there is between those tubes. Can anyone enlighten me on that?

- The rear 'subframe' appears to be welded integral with the main frame, not bolted-on; is that correct?

- Lateral stiffness is important for a hitch mount. I'm envisioning that 2 or 3 mount points (gusseted bolt-tabs or threaded lugs) would have to be welded to the frame at several points from under the pillion seat forward to the rear downtubes on each side for a fully triangulated hitch.

- Anyone with NC specific trailer towing experience or other UniGo experience able to offer any thoughts on overall suitability?

Long first post with lots of Q's, TIA for your comments.

My guess is that you won't find anyone towing with an NC. I don't see why it shouldn't work thought, as you stated the frame should handle it. I towed this one about 15k miles over a few years.

001-5.jpg

I don't imagine you would have a problem towing, but if you choose to tow keep your speed under about 60. I know of guys who were almost thrown off the road due to high speed instability while towing with a motorcycle at 90mph. I expect we all agree that's just asking for trouble, so my point is don't ask for trouble.

There's horror stories of all kinds out there. Also many cases of high miles 'without a hitch' (pardon the pun).

A rig that won't travel at legal posted speeds (frequently 75 on interstates; 80 on a tollway I frequently travel) is useless to me. The highest legal speed in TX is a tollway near me, posted at 85 (not a route I commonly use).

From my latest conversations with several friends that have significant positive trailer towing experience, the keys to success seem to be:
+ absolutely rigid / stiff hitch mount
+ proper trailer wheel alignment
+ careful attention to weight bias (at least 15% of the trailer gross weight at the hitch)
+ adequate braking capacity

Several folks I know pull a UniGo and/or small BushTec 2-wheel trailers very successfully at all legal speeds with Wee-Stroms (650 V-Strom Suzuki). Looking at the NC, their concern relates to the brakes more than anything else.

Thanks for your comments.

DSC00023.jpgDSC00778.jpg

I had several Connies and they have more weight and mass than the 700, the big concern I would have is the same as Centex. That would be the brakes, they seem just barely ahead of the 700 with a single rider. If I stayed on Blue Highways I would not see it as a problem though.

Neat Connies, 'Mr Budd', first and second gen, you must have liked 'em [thumbsup]

What'ya think, would a Connie pilot be disappointed with an NC as a downsize?

You may have noticed my second gen C-10 has upgraded front brakes .... GSXR 4-pots on 320mm EBC's.

The NC does Not lend to such brake mods .... short of a total fork + wheel replacement.

Hmmmm....

Last edited:
I don't think so, I really like the 700. Lite and nimble and a very different type of ride. A tranny like a dirt bike and a upright seating position. Awesome mileage as well. The seat sucks though. I modified mine , but I ordered a Corbin yesterday.

Centtex, welcome from West Virginia! I also have Pelican side cases mounted on my bike, and while the appearance is subjective, they're a fantastic piece of luggage. I intend to mount a Hepco Becker rear rack in the not too distant future, which will accommodate a Pelican top case if I decide to go that route. This is how the Pelican side cases look on the NCX.
DSC_0106.jpg
And from the top.
DSC_0101.jpg
And the rear.
DSC_0099.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think so, I really like the 700. Lite and nimble and a very different type of ride. A tranny like a dirt bike and a upright seating position. Awesome mileage as well. The seat sucks though. I modified mine , but I ordered a Corbin yesterday.

Thanks for your insights. Yeah, I've read that the seat is a no-go and would require replacement to cover any distance at all. I've been spoiled by the Russell Day Long seat made for me on the Connie.

At the moment, the local Honda dealer and I are at an impasse .... he doesn't have a dedicated NC demo bike and won't let me ride untill I say I'm "very seriously interested". I've honestly told him that I'm very interested but won't make any promises until I can ride an NC, and if I like it I'll then sell the Connie to fund the swap. So until/unless he decides to work with me on those terms, no demo ride. No, he won't come anywhere close with a trade value compared to what I can get for my Connie through the Concours Owners Group where it is a 'known bike'.

I'm closer to comitting to a Wee-Strom because of that ... V different from the NC but it offers many of the attributes I want for a downsize. Plusses in comparison to the NC for me include: well-proven record of reliability and rider satisfaction (it'll take time for the NC to earn that); I've ridden 'em and like 'em; ABS without any un-wanted trickery like the DTC; great dual-disk front brakes, and I know users that successfully pull trailers with them.

Still, the NC is an intriguing machine: very low CG; ease of maintenance (screw adjust valves); low cost of entry (makes spending for the trailer and seat upgrade easier). Good mileage is nice but not critical to me.

Centtex, welcome from West Virginia! I also have Pelican side cases mounted on my bike, and while the appearance is subjective, they're a fantastic piece of luggage. I intend to mount a Hepco Becker rear rack in the not too distant future, which will accommodate a Pelican top case if I decide to go that route. This is how the Pelican side cases look on the NCX....<snip>

Very nice, Cyclerosis, thanks for sharing those pics.

Yes, the Pelican-type (mine area actually SKB brand, available from SKB with deterrent locks in the closing latch unlike Pelican) cases are very good, IMHO. Caribou was the inspiration for my kit but I ended-up fabricating my own permanent mounts to get the setup as tight to the bike and as rigid as possible. If interested, click here to see a thread on the Concours Owners Group forum about my “Connie Camper” build-up.

As indicated by this thread, if I downsize I think I’ll take a different approach, keeping the bike “clean” and using a trailer for the camping gear. The frunk on the NC to stash the occasional bit of booty, or just a rear rack to support a stash-able soft duffle for a supplies run from the campsite, makes that seem very practical to me.

I need a 22” wide (interior) top case to hold my Eureka Timberline tent poles, Kermit chair and Thermarest sleeping pad, each with a 22” controlling dimension. That’d be a mighty big box on the NC. I’m not interested in changing my gear; it’s taken me years to come up with my ‘optimum campsite’.

Personally I do not avocate riding or driving with a towing thingy.
It is just too dangerous for my taste.

I take the bare minimum with me during my biking trips. And this is kind of a minimalist thing for me and I think for most bikers.
I'd leave the kitchen sink and hair-dryer at home.

Sorry.
:D

When I was in the GWOCGB many riders towed trailers with no problems One our magazines "Real Classics" has a momthly colum by a guy who has traveled Europe scandanavia and America on a classic triumph in complete safety. it's not my cup of tea but I see no reason to do it if thats what you want

I take the bare minimum with me during my biking trips. And this is kind of a minimalist thing for me and I think for most bikers.

Sorry.

The wife and I took a 5500 mile trip towing our Unigo. We went from Ohio to Wyoming, Montana, Utah, and Colorado. We went to 2 BMW rallies, and when we arrived at the second in Payonia CO. we were stopped by a guy on a GS who said he was having a liitle trouble keeping up with us in the twisties. We rode back through Kansas with the temp at 106deg. We hauled a tent, 2 air matresses, 2 sleeping bags, a small cooler, 2 Kermit chairs, an air pump, ans stuff I can't even remember. If the trailer is set up and loaded correctly it's not a problem. There are thousand of riders towing trailers thousands of miles.

Sorry.

Hi, Happy!

I'm OK with your personal and considered opinion until "most bikers" and "sorry".

Personally, I try to avoid "most..." and "best..." statements regarding most everything. There's just too much variety and personal taste in play to apply those terms in most cases, IMHO. And even if you have stats to backup your "most bikers" opinion, that's cool, I've never had a problem living outside the fat part of the Bell Curve :D

One generalization I'm real confident of with is "Most people in the USA don't ride motorcycles". So what, no worries ;)

I've certainly seen a huge range of camper-types, most having fun with their choices, in my years of backpacking, motorcycle camping and RV camping. Many campers I meet hit the medium between "minimalist" and "kitchen sink" (I think I'm somewhere in that mid-range, BTW). I've not been able to identify an applicable "most" characteristic other than enjoyment of the out-of-doors.

As for "sorry" .... why on earth are you sorry or apologetic for your considered and politely-presented opinion? What's important is that you've found a system that works for you, is within your risk-management comfort zone, and keeps you "Happy" ;)

Another generalization I'm pretty confident with is "Most Americans consider any motorcycling too dangerous for them" :eek:

Oh, and I'm not advocating anything for anyone .... just trying to tap into the experience of others to help inform my own choices.

Thanks for your comments!

...Another generalization I'm pretty confident with is "Most Americans consider any motorcycling too dangerous for them" :eek:...

When I got back into biking several years ago because of the cat (long story, and it's for some other time), one of my co-workers at the time came up with the comment, "Oh, you got a 'murdercycle'!"

Hmph. Guess I'll never take a trip with him.:p

Back