• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trailering the bike

bamamate

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Taking the bike with me to LA (Lower Alabama) on a trailer. Yeah, I know, trailering, but I couldn’t figure out how to get my daughter, 3 dogs, luggage, and gifts on it. I’ve never hauled a bike before so I have a few questions.
Bike in gear or neutral?
Bike on the center stand?
Where to attach the straps? I figure the back ones should go on the grab handles. What about the front and correct me if I’m wrong about the back?
Anything else I should know?

Whenever I have had to trailer a bike I leave in neutral. Not on the center stand and I put the side stand up. The straps will keep it up. Put a strap to each side of the handle bars (pulling them down almost to bottom out suspension). That holds the bike upright and against the front of the trailer. Then I put a strap through the rear wheel just to keep it from moving. I don't tie the rear down per-say.

If your trailer doesn't have a front rail then this method isn't going to work.

Always use some type of soft cloth where any strap or hook touches the bike.

I don't have a lot of trailering experience, but here goes.
Bike in neutral with no stand at all.
Use a chock if at all possible. One that locks the front wheel down when you roll into it is best.
It's best if you actually mount the chock to the trailer floor, but not absolutely necessary.
Use soft straps instead of hooking directly to bars and go under the cables and wiring if possible.
For the rear I usually use the soft straps and simply hook onto the rear tire. You don't have to
lock down the rear, just keep it from shifting sideways.
This is what has worked for me...hope it helps.
Happy trails!

try not to tie of the bars, always go to the lower clamp with a soft tie, the bars will bend very easy. we are always hauling bikes on a flat bed, side ways, so we tie off the back wheel strait back to the trailer, and off the lower clamps to the trailer. if you have heated grips never strap to them you will damage the heating elements. sometimes we may have six or seven bikes on the trailer and cover hundreds of miles without damage..

What part of LA are you going to? I live just outside of Mobile in Semmes. Give me a call if you want to meet up. You can can send a notification and I will send you my number.

I'm head across the state to Dothan. When I moved out of state my family migrated from B'ham to Dothan. I was pushing for a migration to Gulf Shores but my sister married a guy from Dothan. When I get to go to Mobile again I'll buzz you.

Right or Wrong - Here are a few shots of how I trailer my NCX. It is sharing a ride on an old school KenDon trailer with my Valkrie.

Using straps with built-in soft-tie ends, I strap around the fork braces.
I use straps low that pull forward and keep the bike up tight to the chock.
Put in nuetral.
On this trailer their is a rail that extends all the way, so I didn't tie the back down, and no issues. (probably will for longe trips though)

IMG_0305.jpgIMG_0306.jpgIMG_0307.jpgIMG_0308.jpgView attachment 3337

Right or Wrong - Here are a few shots of how I trailer my NCX. It is sharing a ride on an old school KenDon trailer with my Valkrie.

Using straps with built-in soft-tie ends, I strap around the fork braces.
I use straps low that pull forward and keep the bike up tight to the chock.
Put in nuetral.
On this trailer their is a rail that extends all the way, so I didn't tie the back down, and no issues. (probably will for longe trips though)

View attachment 3333View attachment 3334View attachment 3335View attachment 3336View attachment 3337

Looks ok to me, but IMHO you forgot to tie the rear wheel as well

Back