• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Trax cases decrease fuel milage?

Smallville

Reaction score
Visit site
Thinking of ordering a set of Trax or Givi outback side cases and was wanting to know how much they decrease fuel milage. Anyone notice a drop?
Thanks

Based on my mpg numbers, I'm the last guy to ask lol, but I will just say that my best number achieved was with my 37 litre Trax bags installed, and my worst number with them not on...;)

I would think a trunk would cause more drag than side cases. I didn't notice a difference when running with or without them.

Samsung Galaxy S4

Funny you should ask... I was just looking at the difference in fuel mileage since I've turned off my electric vest.
Fuel mileage ... No farkles approx 77 miles per gallon. (Last fall)
Trax bags and electric bags approx 72 miles / gallon. (This spring)
Just stopped using the vest and I am back up around 74 and change.

I'd heard electric use doesn't effect mileage on our engine or most other MC engines. Alternator generates full current at all times, with excess shunted to ground.

Anyone notice a drop?
Thanks
I have a set of 37 liter Givi Trekker Outback bags and Vstream tall windscreen. All installed at the same time on a new 2014 NC700XD....I ride 56 miles round trip every day on I-95 at an indicated 64-68 mph. As of today I'm averaging (according to bike's computer) 58 mpg. I can't really compare it to running without the bags, since they have always been on the bike, but I think my fuel mileage is considerably lower than what most other riders are reporting. Not sure if it is the bags or new engine (just 902 mlles on it) or everyone else is running at 50 mph ;-)

I might take the bags off for a week and see if it mileage improves a bit. I see/hear/read all the stories of 70mpg and 65mpg but I'm nowhere near that...

If you hold your hand out and feel the wind, in front of the bags then yes it does effect fuel mpg. If we did not have to push threw the wind, we would get twice the mpg. Hand guards, case guards, driving lights, trunks, gps units, anything that holds back the air effects mpg. Anything that effects the closing air behind you also effects mpg. Dale

Thanks for the replies. Good to know that they may not affect the MPG as much as I had feared.

I have a set on order, however I'm on the fence about them now. I'm thinking I may want to go a different direction and just use some soft bags.

I just did my first trip with side bags. Mine are fairly narrow, but I'm seeing a drop of about 3-5 MPG with the bags. Just last week I got the worst mileage ever at 69 US-MPG with the bags on. Never been below 73 before, on a nearly identical route. There are other variables, of course, like head wind, that may account for some of the change.

They definitely make a difference.

Last edited:
Back