• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tuning for more horses

Status
Not open for further replies.

derekwatt5

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All

Is there any options to get more horses out the 2020 model? Has anyone done any mods to produce changes to gain more power.

Thanks

You might improve acceleration by changing one or both sprockets but it will likely decrease top speed. Here's a link to a site where you can investigate:
For more HP it would be best to trade for a more performance oriented motorcycle.

No. In the 11 years I’ve been on the forum, few people really showed much interest in more power, and/or nobody was successful in finding any. The general thinking is that if you really need more horsepower, you needed a different motorcycle.

What is the reason behind wanting more power from the bike?
Assuming that's a question directed at us all, to go quicker/faster. I'd like more power, but there's none to be found in the NC engine. A 750cc bike that will barely get to 100mph (at least mine won't) is a bit poor IMO.
I hear the latest NC is better by more than the stats would suggest.

As an in general, it would not hurt my feelings if the NC made more power. Coming off a 150 hp Yamaha FJR, at first the NC felt really under powered, however I have gotten used to it now, and it is at least adequate for what I am asking of it, which is solo daily rides on back roads. Had my desire had been to ride two up cross country on a lot of slab, I would have certainly kept my FJR or chosen a different bike than the NC.

In the same vein my CB 1100 suffers in the same way. It's an 1140 cc 4 cylinder that puts out about 85 hp and 65 lb ft of torque at very reasonable rpms. It was dismissed by many for not having as much hp ( by some 20 hp) than the 40 year old CB 1100 that preceeded it from 1983, but for me it is a very satisfying bike to ride, with very good hp & torque numbers albeit in too heavy a package at over 575 pounds.

Whenever I ride the NC I wish it had the CBs motor. When I ride the CB I wish it had the NC's weight. A combo of those two, 88 hp, 65 lb ft of torque and 498 pounds would be killer. I think some of the new 800s/900s coming from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki will indeed meet that criteria only without the excellent DCT trans of the NC, and they certainly won't have the NC's economy.

Hard to get everything in one package.

and they certainly won't have the NC's economy.
They won't be too far off if you ride them like an NC though.

Your CB1100 makes decent power akin to the early litre bikes. I had a 1978 GS1000 and it would have made less.
I'd be happy if the NC made 70hp.

I have a feeling DCT is going to be a thing of the past. An interim technology superseded by far cheaper (and imo inferior) quickshifters.

I suppose it’s all about expectations. I moved from a Royal Enfield making 26 bhp so the nc is a hooligan wheelie race machine of death by comparison. I’ve never wished for more but then perhaps it’s because I’ve never had more
True

My first street bike was in 1965...a 50 cc 2 stroke Aermachhi badged Harley Davidson that made about 5 hp. In 1966 my older sister bought a CB 160 (16 hp) and when I rode that I though HOLY MOMMA this thing has all the power I'd ever need. Then I got a 160. Meanwhile my older brother got a 67 305 scrambler (28 hp) and when I rode it I thought HOLY MOMMA this thing has all the power I'd ever need. When my older brother bought a CB 450 (45 hp), I bought his 305. When I rode his CB 450 I thought HOLY MOMMA this thing has all the power I'd ever need...... and I kept this up through CB 750s, (67 hp) KZ 1000 (83 hp) up through FZ-1 (125 hp) until 150 hp seemed like the right amount lol

Now I'm back at 58 and 85 hp bikes (similar to '68 CB 750 and '77 KZ1000 power lol) and learning to live with them all over again, but then again at 73, I'm no longer a young man yearning to sow his oats

I have a feeling DCT is going to be a thing of the past. An interim technology superseded by far cheaper (and imo inferior) quickshifters.

Afaik DCT has been around a very long time, but mostly used in Honda Quads. I am not seeing it "taking off" on modern bikes just yet, but the CRF1000L, Crosstourer and Goldwing have it so perhaps it is here to stay with Honda. I had my first ride on a modern bike with a quickshifter the other day (Strom800). It is indeed inferior to DCT and imho felt very hard on the bikes gearbox. In the end I only used it for upshifts. My good Friend a top Mechanic has had four KTM 1290's through his shop with broken gearboxes. He is putting this down to quickshifters.

When I ride the CB I wish it had the NC's weight. A combo of those two, 88 hp, 65 lb ft of torque and 498 pounds would be killer. I think some of the new 800s/900s coming from Honda, Yamaha and Suzuki will indeed meet that criteria only without the excellent DCT trans of the NC, and they certainly won't have the NC's economy.

The new 800 Strom might fit that bill but it is significantly taller than the NC. The new Transalp is probably closest but its 90bhp are well up the rev range

The VFR1200 was the first Honda bike with DCT and that came out in 2010. I think the NT1100 was the last bike with it but that's just a road going AT. The AT came out in 2016 and the Goldwing got it in 2017. So no new Honda engine with DCT since 2017. Correct me if I am wrong.

The VFR1200 was the first Honda bike with DCT and that came out in 2010. I think the NT1100 was the last bike with it but that's just a road going AT. The AT came out in 2016 and the Goldwing got it in 2017. So no new Honda engine with DCT since 2017. Correct me if I am wrong.
In the USA, the first 1833cc 2nd generation Goldwing with available DCT was the 2018 model year. In 2017 we still had the manual transmission 1st generation GL1800.

On models with available DCT Honda says it is the majority of their sales. Don't see Honda giving up on it.

Oh and my dealer just got a new 1000 cc racing side by side thingy that says DCT on the side. Not sure of the model or if they are using an existing engine.

Last edited:
The Japan only Hawk 11, based on the AT didn't get DCT afaik. Hope I'm wrong, but the fact the 750 engine in the Hornet and Transalp didn't get it is not a good sign.

Correct me if I'm wrong (highly possible) but, I thought the infamous Honda DN-01 was the first to receive the DCT?
Scott

Correct me if I'm wrong (highly possible) but, I thought the infamous Honda DN-01 was the first to receive the DCT?
Scott
The DN-01 (stands for Do Not own 1) did not have DCT.

From wikipedia, “The DN-01 uses a continuously variable transmission, marketed by Honda as the Human Friendly Transmission, allowing either manual selection of a "gear" or automatic operation much like a CVT scooter, with continuously variable transmission ratios selected automatically by the system's controller for optimal performance.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back