• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Turn Signal Handguards Wiring Question

Texican88

Reaction score
Visit site
All,

I know most of you chose to go with the Barkbusters Handguards, but I just can't get over the massive wordmark on the VPS plastics. I saw these Acerbis guards on Shoemonkey's bike in a recent thread and really like them. Especially with the added visibility of the LEDs.

I emailed them and they make some to fit the NC. They also said the instructions for wiring the LEDs are very basic since there are so many things you can do with them (running lights, turn signals, etc.). So my questions is this....

If I would like to use these LEDs are running lights and turn signals, how would I go about doing that? Would I need some sort of relay? Is there any reason I shouldn't do this?

What if I just wanted to use them as running lights? How do I make sure they are on during both high and low beam usage?

Thanks to all.

handguards.jpg

this is my bike all i did is to connect the wires to a fuse box i got from nippi normans i have herd of ppl wiring into the main light but if you are putting a few thing on anyway a fuse box would be better, i think i put a pic or two of it on a thread

Only for running lights just hardwire to the front signal light. Or standby lights, whatever it is called. It is always on, independent from low or high beam circuit. Some kind of LED stripes or sets have a 3rd. wire for the turn signal, which has to be connected to the positive wire. Just like this one found on ebay

With only 2 wires I have no idea, but i wouldn't connect the same positive wire to two different circuit - it may cause that the turn signal will always on. And they have about ( 2*21W<42W> *2 sides = 84/12) at least 10A fuse ) so it may blow the standby's circuit fuse if it's lower than this.

To use a single circuit LED as both running lights and turn signals you would need two SPDT relays with 12v coils. If all you can find are DPDT, those will work as well. You would run 12v(+) fused power to the common pole; wire from the normally closed contact to the left LED light; ground one side of the relay coil; and wire from the left turn signal wire to the relay 12v(+) coil connection. Then do the same thing for the right hand side.

Look at post #32 on this link at the two alternating relays... http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/642-extreme-farkling-circuits-controls-4.html

Last edited:
Where to buy from as i'm also after the Acerbis handguards ? Thanks

Hi There. I think you can just get them from the Acerbis site. The Part Number that they gave be for those that would fit the NC is

I'm thinking i'm going to get a set. Even if I don't get the LED inserts, but it is nice to have that option for a later date.

I have these same handguards. One of them had defective LEDs that never worked. Instead of sending them back, I dissasembled them to try to get them to work since I like the overall look of them. I found the LED circuit to be very cheaply made, but I've had the handguards on for a few months and have no complaints.
I'm going to wire aftermarket LEDs on a strip that are much brighter as a replacement for the cheap factory ones. They were 20 bucks at AutoZone. The only problem is that I have to slip the wires under my aftermarket hand grips over the heating elements. That is going to be a major pain, but should be well worth the trouble when those LEDs widen my visability to cars at night.
I have a set of red LEDs like this under my tail section wired to the brake lights and they are super bright.

I have these same handguards. One of them had defective LEDs that never worked. Instead of sending them back, I dissasembled them to try to get them to work since I like the overall look of them. I found the LED circuit to be very cheaply made, but I've had the handguards on for a few months and have no complaints.
I'm going to wire aftermarket LEDs on a strip that are much brighter as a replacement for the cheap factory ones. They were 20 bucks at AutoZone. The only problem is that I have to slip the wires under my aftermarket hand grips over the heating elements. That is going to be a major pain, but should be well worth the trouble when those LEDs widen my visability to cars at night.
I have a set of red LEDs like this under my tail section wired to the brake lights and they are super bright.

thanks for the feedback. I might end up passing on the LEDS and going with some other lighting option for better visibilty of myself while riding. at least the guards themselves seem to be a pretty good, and in my opinion, more attractive option.

Back