• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Tusk D-Flex Handguards

BigGuppy

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
As I mentioned in this Cold Weather Gear choices topic, I'm trying out the Tusk mitts, which require some sort of aluminum hand guard to hang properly. I got the Tusk D-Flex Handguards

According to this Amazon review, they'll fit without removing the bar ends. That is true if you put them on outside the bar ends. And it's a close fit.
Amazon Review - Tusk on NC700

It took a lot of wrenching to get each arm connected to the clamp. I couldn't bend them by hand. The Rocky Mountain ATV Store's Installation video says it's no big deal to change the angle of the bar if you have a vise. No vise, no luck. This wasn't a very helpful video for my NC700 installation, because they go about sawing off the handlebar grip, which seems crazy.

On the other hand, this install video from fireballmalone1 about putting Barkbusters on an NC700 was helpful, just to understand our model's handlebars.

I got the aluminum guards on, and my only concern is that the ball of the brake is right up against the guard. It's about a millimeter or two compressed. The brakelight does not come on and I don't feel any resistance. You can see in the pics.

Then I got the mitts on. Some first time trickiness here. I had to figure out how to get them around the mirrors stalks, which required some tugging. The left grip worked fine but slipped forward a bit. On the right side, the strap to secure the mitt was going right across the kill switch. First time I took it out of the driveway, I moved my right hand and yup, the mitt fabric pressed the kill switch and the engine died. A little finagling and I felt a little more confident. I tried to highway too, and they worked ok with the heater on. My thumbs still get cold even behind the mitts, though.

I think the solution here is two-fold:
* Drill holes for the mirror stalks to go through the mitts. Then I won't be wrenching around them
* Drill holes in the ends of the mitts and use the bar end screws (with washers) to anchor the mitts in the right position

My pics:

20171230_121015.jpg

20171230_121030.jpg

20171230_121307.jpg

20171230_123435.jpg

Last edited:
I advise caution. While you may think they're a useless appendage now, once the surgery's complete you'll find a need for them intact...

Last edited:
I advise caution. While you may think they're a useless appendage now, once the surgery's complete you'll find a need for them intact...
I cut mine off and have never looked back. I find what’s left, after hacksawing off a couple of inches, is easier to grip when being used. Just do it!

Ray

Go out and buy some heated gloves. Plug into the bike and ride all day in warmth and comfort. Your setup seems a bit dangerous to me, as you already admitted to the fact that they don't fit right !!

Back