• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

tyres wearing quickly?

mike5100

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm slightly concerned that the rear Bridgestone already has a noticeable flat section in the middle at just 3800 miles
DSC00845.JPG

I'd say 3000 of the miles have been on Scottish B roads - they are twisty as you like. On my Versys both the standard tyre and the Pilot Road 2 didn't flat off like this until nearly 6k miles.
Mike

I gotta say I'm with FlaNC700X on that one....Oh yea and if you ride upright most of the time you'll see a flat spot in just a few thousand, sport touring tires (tyres) are just softer than a touring tire.

Nice pic Mike you couldn't have included a Scottish girl?

Or even better a sweet (southern) Irish colleen with red hair and green eyes and a beautiful accent.
Sorry about that but I'm on night shift and most of the saurday night yobs have gone home leaving us with only one broken window. Only one more train due in so I'm bored.

I'd say 3000 of the miles have been on Scottish B roads - they are twisty as you like. On my Versys both the standard tyre and the Pilot Road 2 didn't flat off like this until nearly 6k miles.
Mike

Not really fair to compare these brigestones to the pr2. Personally I can't wait to get these tires off and some decent rubber on the girl. These sure don't inspire the confidence I've gotten used to with previous bikes on pr2s

I use the excellent PR3s on my Crossrunner but I find the 023s more than adequate for my commute on the NC. Also having the Ermax hugger fitted I'm given to understand that there may be clearance problems with some brands of tyre

I read somewhere that not all BT023's are created equal. The ones supplied to manufacturers as OEM fitment are not the same as ones sold as aftermarket items. The only scenario I can imagine that might result in that is price negotiation from the big bike manufacturers causing Bridgestone to make an 'economy' OEM tyre If that's what's happened it's a false economy as it's just making me think I will use a different make next time.
Mike

I read somewhere that not all BT023's are created equal. The ones supplied to manufacturers as OEM fitment are not the same as ones sold as aftermarket items. The only scenario I can imagine that might result in that is price negotiation from the big bike manufacturers causing Bridgestone to make an 'economy' OEM tyre If that's what's happened it's a false economy as it's just making me think I will use a different make next time.
Mike

Apparently that doesn't only apply to Bridgestone

Mike
Bridgestone does make OEM tires for manufacturers but they are usually of higher specification, not lower, than aftermarket to meet particular needs of the motorcycle in question. Re the BT020F tires for the Honda ST1300 vs BT020U aftermarket tires or the OEM bias ply BT020M for the BMW K1200LT.

If the 023s on the NC700X are spec tires there should be letter following "023" on the sidewall other some other easily seen code so they can be identified as different construction or compound from other BT023 tires. They also make higher specification tires and market them as such as in BT 023GT tires for heavy sport tourers. You can also look up the OE code available tires on Bridgestone's fitment guide although the NC700 tires are not updated yet on the online version.

Mine aren't doing so well. Lumpy at 3900 miles. They stink on gravel.

Most reviews like the Metzeler Z8 tires on the web... Mine still look very good at almost 1000 miles... Will find out soon enough.. I commute to work plus weekend canyons rides... Putting close to 500 miles a week... Depends on mood of course... :p

Mike

From my experiences... Stock tires and after market tires are different for sure... Stock are generally longer lasting /less sticky then the aftermarket... If you look carefully at the stock tires and aftermarket tires, they are of different specs... Some tires even have slight different treads pattern...

I will see how the Z8 last, if not good, my next set will be PR2 or PR3.

Back