• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unable to shift from first to neutral or 2nd.

Depends on the shop and if they have to open the transmission. That requires splitting the cases... I would say a few weeks for parts ordering and technician time. I know thats probably not what you want to hear but splitting the cases and ordering parts can take time.

^True this. It looks like splitting the cases is required for access to the shift forks. Hopefully the problem is one of the things that can be done with the engine in the frame. From the service manual...

- Misadjusted clutch cable
- Improper clutch operation
- Improper engine oil viscosity
- Damaged or bent shift fork
- Bent shift fork shaft
- Bent shift fork claw
- Loose shift drum stopper plate
- Damaged shift drum guide grooves
- Damaged or bent gearshift spindle.

The only thing here that requires engine removal and case splitting is the damaged or bent shift forks.

What speed are you at when downshifting to first?

Pretty dang slow. I can't say for sure. The dealer said there is a spring on the end of the shaft that was getting stuck. They ordered a new one and I should have it tomorrow. He did say this is weird and they haven't seen it before. Perhaps the spring was held in some position while on the showroom floor for a year and that caused it to fail.. The parts breakdown doesn't show the spring because it comes with the unit. But he did show me the part and said when they cleaned it she was shifting again but it got stuck pretty quickly. I hope they're right and this is over with tomorrow.

Thanks,
Cburn

Well looking at the parts diagram that piece can be changed without splitting the cases. They will have to enter through the right case and probably remove the clutch to remove this piece but shouldn't be a big deal, I would want it back by the weekend seeing as how you just bought it. Definitely fish them for information on why this piece is messing up in case anyone else sees it out of warranty. It would be easy to do, just like the factory pro kits that replace the shift detent, heck wouldn't be bad to do at the same time? If they offer one yet? I wonder if they are talking about 13? It looks available separate if so.
image.jpg

Last edited:
Well looking at the parts diagram that piece can be changed without splitting the cases. They will have to enter through the right case and probably remove the clutch to remove this piece but shouldn't be a big deal, I would want it back by the weekend seeing as how you just bought it. Definitely fish them for information on why this piece is messing up in case anyone else sees it out of warranty. It would be easy to do, just like the factory pro kits that replace the shift detent, heck wouldn't be bad to do at the same time? If they offer one yet? I wonder if they are talking about 13? It looks available separate if so.
View attachment 5173

Yeah, he didn't seem to think it was going to be a big deal to repair. I just hope his theory is correct and I won't have this issue again. What is a factory pro kit? The part is the one I listed above. The spring in behind the flat on the left side of the shaft, not part 13.

Oh ok so it is apart of the shift mechanism. Just can't see it in the picture. The factory pro kits have the detent arm with a better bearing to make shifts as easy as possible. You change yours out to one of those and shifts are so smooth and buttery it's sickening that the factory doesn't already do it.
5y4esase.jpg

Oh ok so it is apart of the shift mechanism. Just can't see it in the picture. The factory pro kits have the detent arm with a better bearing to make shifts as easy as possible. You change yours out to one of those and shifts are so smooth and buttery it's sickening that the factory doesn't already do it.
5y4esase.jpg

Where can I buy this?

They don't make one for the nc is looks like. May never seeing as how this is not a sport bike for all I know. Factorypro.com is their website maybe you can call or email?

Got her back yesterday and she's shifting fine. Went for a few short rides (There were sever thunderstorms so I had to go when it calmed down a bit).

The dealer put 10 miles on it so I'm sure they tested it out. Seems everyone loves riding the NC700X:) Wish they would have scuffed in the tires a bit while they were at it.
Cburn

Me too. The dealer was Don and Roy's in Brookfield WI. Just wanted to let ya'll know they did a good job. Bike broke late in the day, they picked it up first thing the next morning, ordered the part overnight and had it back to me the next day at around 3:00PM. I've heard stories about piss poor dealers but Don and Roy's is legit.
Cburn

Back