• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

undecided about NC700S - need your advice

peanuts017

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,
I have been riding for a little more than a year now. I bought a 2010 Honda Shadow RS last summer and I don't really like it. There isn't much suspension on that bike, no windjammer, a little top heavy and a bit tall (the RS is 29.5" with a large seat so I'm not totally flat footed).
I started looking for another bike and realized I didn't want a custom/cruiser.
Since I am height challenged (5'2" and 28" inseam) I first narrowed my choices to a bike below 800mm (31.5") so that by lowering by 2 inch shouldn't effect to much the bike.
Here are my thoughts on each
BMW G650GS : didn't see one in real life, but really like the look!
Honda CB500F : didn't see one in real life, but a windshield is definitely missing...
Honda CBR500R : sat on one, a little bit too much forward sitting position...
Honda NC700SA : sat on one, I liked it, loved the place to put stuff, seems like the weight is low, the dealer can lower it and change the windshield. DO YOU THINK THAT WITH A TALLER WINDSHIELD I SHOULD BE OK? I hate the feeling of having to fight the wind as I'm driving my motorcycle.
Kawasaki ER6N 2010 and 2011 for the seat height : no windshield at all
Suzuki GSX650F : felt heavy and the seat is wider than the others so even though its shorter (770mm-30.3") I was not comfortable.
Suzuki SFV650 Gladius : no windshield at all and when standing the pegs were in the way.
Yamaha FZ6R : I didn't like the look, but I felt good sitting on it. I didn't read the reviews on that one yet. ANY INFORMATION YOU WANT TO GIVE ME?

Since most of the dealership I went to didn't have the models I liked in demo (with the battery and gas) I didn't have the chance to try any of these :(

If you spend more than about 12 minutes on this forum you will find that there is a lot of love for the NC700(whatever). I can only think of one regular poster who absolutely hated it. It is mechanically reliable, fuel efficient, easy to ride. Browse around a bit and feel the love.

I know, I've looked around the website before posting.
But didn't see much information about the NC700SA since it's not sold in the USA. The major difference (beside the height) between NC/SA and NC/X is the windshield and a bit of fairing.
That's why I would like to know. If I buy the 700SA have it lowered and change the windshield. Will I be a happy rider?

What you need is what fits you. You need to figure what kind of riding you wool be doing and does the bike fit that kind of riding. It usually always ends up in some sort of compromise. The only thing that matters is if you like the bike, and it fits.

Welcome to the forum. Is your screen name a reference to your height? :D

I have the same inseam as you. My "X" is lowered and I really like it. Since the "S" has a lower seat height to begin with you should not have to lower it much. I don't have an issue with wind, I have the stock windshield in the upper position. I wonder if that is because of my height. From what I read here most NC owners are taller than me and lot's of them have upgraded their windshields.

I know, I've looked around the website before posting.
But didn't see much information about the NC700SA since it's not sold in the USA. The major difference (beside the height) between NC/SA and NC/X is the windshield and a bit of fairing.
That's why I would like to know. If I buy the 700SA have it lowered and change the windshield. Will I be a happy rider?

None of us can really tell if you'll be a happy rider with the S model. But pretty much everyone on the forum is happy with the X. I can almost guarantee you will be happier with the S than you are now!

I'm not sure how the geometry of the S compares to the X, but if they are similar and you can get the S lowered so your height is not a problem, you should like the bike. I looked at a Shadow Aero when I was considering buying and ended up with the X. Glad I did. With your height the Honda Touring screen may be all you will need if it fits on the S.

I spent a couple of hours on the BMW G650. It is a similar riding position to the NC 700, but it's a single cylinder and I found the ride/engine to be alot rougher/harsher. As you have been riding a twin previously, I would definitely recommend taking the bmw g650 for an extended test drive before buying it. Personally, I was surprised by how different the feel of the engine is with just a single cylinder, and the surprise was not a positive one. Also, BMW parts/servicing tends to be more expensive.

If I buy the 700SA have it lowered and change the windshield. Will I be a happy rider?

I did a good test ride on the S and the X. I also test rode the 650, 700 and 1200 GS (lucky me). I decided to go with the X for several reasons. Hey, I am in Quebec as well..! Not much NC's on the road here... Maybe you could PM me, we could meet and have a good talk about those bikes if you'd like. I'm coming from bigger bikes (1500 - 1800) but really felt in love with this little bike a year ago that I decided to sell my 2008 Goldwing.

Hi! I bought the NC700XA since I wanted a bike that could also handle some gravel roads up in the Laurentians! I love my bike and wouldn't trade it for anything else. Mind you I bought mine about 1 hour and a half from Montreal at a Honda dealer in West Brome but saved $1200 form Montreal dealerships. I did change the windshield for a taller one since I was getting to much wind with the stock one ( I got the Givi windshield). PM if you wanna discuss.

I have the NCS and if you really want some help in deciding if the bike is right for you get over to the UK NC forum where there are a LOT more owners of the S model.

I did not like the test ride on the S when I went on the motorway as the wind was hitting my chest and pushing me back. Still got one though and fitted the Honda Fly screen and it is a lot better to me as wind now hits the shoulders. I also like the fact you can tuck down behind the Honda fly screen a bit and the riding position feels natural to do so. I did test the X twice but preferred the handling and looks of the S. I find it is a decent all round bike that can do a bit of everything pretty good within its limits. Not sure how it will ride if you have it lowered though.

Last edited:
Hi There,

I also have the S and love it. I sat on an X but didn't test ride one. It definately feels taller. I have 2 minor complaints about the S which I am in the process of fixing now. First is the seat, which is a common complaint with both X owners as well as S. I did a simple fix and just took the seat to an upholsterer and she added a 1" medium density foam. Much better now. No screaming a** after 60 minutes. The second is the screen. I found the wind was hitting my chest and at higher speeds I was fighting it. I just ordered the Honda Fly Screen from the UK and expect it in a couple of weeks. It is both taller and wider than the stock and I personally found it looked most like the stock which is the look I like. Other than those minor complaints, I love the bike. I am coming from a CBR125 so there is no doubt that there is definately more power. Besides the power, I feel much more confident on the NC. With my 125 I was top heavy so cornering wasn't as "fun" as it should of been. With the NC, I have no qualms about taking corners hard. It's lower centre of gravity is great. Even with a passenger, I don't feel top heavy at all. The fuel economy of the NC is comparable to that of my 125 which is really good for my commutes. I have put 2000k on my bike since getting it a month ago and have never looked back. Good luck with your search.

Jason...

Have not done that much mileage on my S, just 3500 miles in 11 months but then again it is just a leisure thing for me. I can say though I have no probs with the seat even after a 240 mile ride out mainly on twisty lanes. Then again I had no issue riding my SV650S 650 miles in a day with stock seat that many people found uncomfy after 100 miles. All down to each riders back side :)

Last edited:
Test drive before you buy. Don't get something you won't like down the road. NC700's ride high, so I would make sure you try sitting on one.

My advise: Put your toes over the end of the diving board. Push forward, and jump into the water with the rest of us. Enjoy life in the nice cool comfort zone, and swim with the rest of us!

What do you mean "ride high"? the seat height or the weight? I don't know much about bike terms :confused:

The COG on the NCs is low. What I think he means is that you ride high. Its got a high seat and you have a very upright riding positon. Your eye level on the bike is very similar to you standing eye level. I like it because it gives me a great view of traffic.

pahondafan : the windshield on the S and the X are very different. Also the X has a little bit of fairing. That's why I want the experience of someone that used the S on the highway. nc700swindshield.jpgnc700xwindshield.jpg.
killarneygetaway : can't wait to have your feedback.
shadowsmuff : Thanks for the info on the BMW, my husband drives a Dakar and he's happy but he's a motocross type of guy! Anyway a 2013 G650GS is 12 285$ OTD ... way too much for me now.
frankQC and mazou723 : I will pm you
TC3 : I will have a look at your website, thanks!

Back