• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Unsuccessful hand guard attempt

Hank

Reaction score
Visit site
I am about a C- mechanic, but I have been able to do most of the mods on my drz 400.

I have several fails to my credit on the DCT.

Today I tried to install the SW motech kobra handguards. I put handguards on the drz, so I know the basics. But the guards did not reach a convenient spot on the handlebars. I think it is because of the risers, but I am not sure. The guard also was touching the front brake.

I also took off the front plastics to see if there was a spot on the harness for the turn signal / running light and couldn't find one.

Then I managed to drop one of those cool Honda tabs with the slot on it and lose it somewhere. Probably it is on the skid plate. The hardware store had some similar ones that worked, but the hardware store tabs did not have the slot.

I guess I have reached my level of incompetence and need to pay someone to do it.

Or try again tomorrow. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
Can't help on the guards sorry, but if the lost tab is in an obvious spot, I'd look for another in a less obvious spot and move, replacing the less obvious one with store, in fact I lost one that holds the fairing on the very front left and just replaced it with a zip tie

I installed the Kobra's on my '16 about a month ago and posted pictures from several angles to possibly help anyone else figure out a decent mounting position. My first attempt was ok, but after a couple of rides I loosened everything but the bar clamps up and re-positioned slightly which I've been much happier with. That's when I took the photos. I don't have risers though, so I can't comment to their effect. I would have thought the only impact though would be interference with an aftermarket windshield. The Kobra's only touch what's on the handlebars, and none of that changes with risers does it? If you need me to re-post the pics, let me know.

I am about a C- mechanic, but I have been able to do most of the mods on my drz 400.

I have several fails to my credit on the DCT.

Today I tried to install the SW motech kobra handguards. I put handguards on the drz, so I know the basics. But the guards did not reach a convenient spot on the handlebars. I think it is because of the risers, but I am not sure. The guard also was touching the front brake.

I also took off the front plastics to see if there was a spot on the harness for the turn signal / running light and couldn't find one.

Then I managed to drop one of those cool Honda tabs with the slot on it and lose it somewhere. Probably it is on the skid plate. The hardware store had some similar ones that worked, but the hardware store tabs did not have the slot.

I guess I have reached my level of incompetence and need to pay someone to do it.

Or try again tomorrow. Any suggestions?

I tried to search for them, but the search engine just sends you to a thread, not the post.
So if you have a link that would be great.
I suspect I can get it done if I make sure I am rested and thinking clearly, but pictures would help. I was already tired and frustrated when I started on them yesterday.

Did you use the supplied bar end or the OEM one? The supplied one is shorter, and that may me why it was touching the front brake.

I managed to install them (and the extensions) today.
Lots of little screws unfriendly to my sausage-like German fingers.

I had to use the supplied bar end on the right side, without a spacer, for the right side to fit. (And to have room for the front brake lever)

The left side I just used the stock bar end.

I failed to follow the instructions and put the shields on after the bars were mounted. There is a reason they tell you to do it in that order. I was afraid of scratching the shield if I put them on before mounting the bars. It is very tight in there to get those screws tight, especially on the extension.

Fortunately I inherited a small tool that has an L bend and a Phillips head, or I think I either would have had to restart or settle for hand tight.

I did not install the indicators / running lights. I think I will leave that for a Honda tech.

I should have bought stock in SW Motech.

I need to make a video detailing all the mods. Still waiting on Madstad.

Didn't have any particular issue with the SW Motech handguards - although I have a 2015 XA and no risers - except the real PIA removing the internal weights in the handlebar and the fact I didn't notice I had to put the plastic parts on the handguard base BEFORE mounting the whole thing, so I had a bit of inconvenience screwing these little screws afterwards, and finally removed the whole thing, added the plastic guards, and mounted the stuff again...

I had no real issues with the position of the guards, and they were not touching the levers...

Had I known where you were in Oklahoma, I might have met you to show how mine were set. But it's been several days since I left Oklahoma...

Anyway, glad you finally did it.

And regarding adding lights, if you're not a big fan of wiring, have someone do it indeed... was no fun for mine, but I knew more or less what I was doing... although my horn now sounds like a buzzer... not sure why the circuit cannot deliver the necessary amps for the horn AND the lights... nvm... next time I'll buy the accessory kit and relay... maybe.

[...But the guards did not reach a convenient spot on the handlebars. I think it is because of the risers, but I am not sure. The guard also was touching the front brake...]

Adding risers doesn't change anything at the ends of the handlebar - it only puts them higher into the air. If there is interference, it could be that something may touch the windshield with the handlebar at full lock.

Now that I have done it I think you are right and the risers did not have anything to do with it. I was just speculating.
The only impact I can see is that the cables are stretched tighter and so complicate placement.

Thanks for the replies.

I am new to motorcycles and I realize now that almost anything you put on or modify is going to take some work.
I don't really know why this is the case, but it does seem to be true.
When I put a new battery or part on my cars they just fit.

I put the SW Motech handguards on mine as well and I have the rox risers installed. The install is kind of a puzzle but I really like how all the different joints on the handguards can be adjusted to make everything just right. I will admit that I had a portion of the guard upside down when I first tried to do the install. I sat there scratching my head until I figured out what was wrong. Don't sweat not getting it right the first time. I took apart the rear fender area where the tail light, fender and license plate come together and still haven't figured out how to get it back together correctly. It's a weird overlay of bolts inside plastic with more bolts and nuts. I looked at the Honda technical manual and that still didn't help. So, I was able to get most of it back together but am using a few zip ties to keep everything tight. Nothing is going to fall off but it could come a little loose. I consider myself pretty saavy with most mechanical stuff as well so don't feel bad at all with some of the creative ways that motorcycle manufacturers assemble their bikes.

Also, I agree that most car stuff is pretty easy. However, things can get tricky when you start pulling apart manifolds and emission related stuff. I went through that recently on my Acura MDX but managed to get it all back together without any problems.

Back