• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Vibration / shaking at approx 40 mph

I take it your asking for ideas because your bike is no longer under warranty? I've never experienced shaking like your video demonstrates. My bike always has loaded saddle bags and topbox mounted. A few weeks back I posted in another thread that I have a tendency to take my hands off the bars when exiting the interstate. From 75mph to whenever I feel like or need to grab the bars again. I've never had my front end shake. I'm not saying it is not possible but what you have shown in your video seems a little extreme to me. Maybe I’ve just been lucky over the years but I’ve never had a bike whose bars shook like that.

I think you should look into some of the prior suggestions.

It would be interesting to see a close-up pic of your front tire. Front tire cupping is very common and can lead to shaking/vibration, especially as the bike slows below 50mph with hands off the bars. Cupping tire wear can be accelerated with low tire pressure which is why I run 1-2psi higher on the fronts of my heavy FJR. Haven't had any problems with the NC yet.

Steering head bearing tightness can also be a problem and it's not uncommon for new bikes to be out of spec on the loose side. You may not notice the loose bearings when the front tire is new unless you notice a clunk in the front end. But once that front tire starts cupping, then the loose bearings will allow that shaking to start easier.

Sounds like you have a dealer appointment for tomorrow and I'm sure they've had this same complaint many times and should have no problem diagnosing your issue. Let us know what the results are.

Just reporting back. I had new Contimotions put on Saturday. Mine still shakes a little on decel. Less than before, though. Definitely not as much as posted in the video.

Too much luggage weight, especially behind the rear axle, will enhance decel handlebar shake, sometimes making it violent on some bikes in extreme conditions. The OP mentioned a Trekker case, which unless loaded with brakes, probably would cause the problem.

What's shown in the video is pretty normal on many bikes, outside of mechanical problems like bad steering bearings or unbalanced wheels. Goldwings do this too. Some owners go to extreme effort to try to eliminate but Honda will always say there's no problem. The right answer is to not loosen the grip on the bars.

Last edited:
Just to let you guys know about tire pressure gauges.

Top Tire pressure gauge Reviews | Best Tire pressure gauge ? Consumer Reports
Top Tire pressure gauge Ratings | Tire pressure gauge Buying Guide ? Consumer Reports

give you a bit of the low down
NOT ALL GAUGES are the same, some are more accurate the other. many lose accuracy at different temp, and many will lose accuracy when dropped on the floor. consumer report has done all thetesting for us to choose a well tested one.

so buy a good gauge before buying new tires!!!!

this same info apply to your car tires. see video in link, dont trust the mechanic gauge, as most mechanic's gauges one are never accurate either.

Just to let you guys know about tire pressure gauges.

Top Tire pressure gauge Reviews | Best Tire pressure gauge ? Consumer Reports
Top Tire pressure gauge Ratings | Tire pressure gauge Buying Guide ? Consumer Reports

give you a bit of the low down
NOT ALL GAUGES are the same, some are more accurate the other. many lose accuracy at different temp, and many will lose accuracy when dropped on the floor. consumer report has done all thetesting for us to choose a well tested one.

so buy a good gauge before buying new tires!!!!

this same info apply to your car tires. see video in link, dont trust the mechanic gauge, as most mechanic's gauges one are never accurate either.
Have a Gang of Three in the garage. A favorite gauge and two to check it against.

Like the ancient Chinese saying: "Man with watch knows what time it is. Man with two watches not quite sure."
:D Exactly- that's why I use the same simple old school gauge (that I keep in the frunk) every time I check my tires. You start checking one gauge against another and trying to figure out which one is right...makes my head hurt.

I would take off all the luggage boxes. Empty out the frunk too. Inspect tires first. If looks good then Install that tire liquid (Ride-on). The Ride -On will balance your tires at speed (with or without tire weights).
See if it shakes while you ride.
If it does still shake, then its possible the front end is something wrong.

Like the ancient Chinese saying: "Man with watch knows what time it is. Man with two watches not quite sure."

This actually became such a big issue when TPMS was introduced Honda came out with a "special tool" for calibration. The issue was the TPMS light come on with about 10% low reading. If set just below or at spec hot or warm (or set with a less than perfect gauge), cold weather would cause people to call and come to the dealer saying the light was on...........all auto dealers have this problem even today first cold day in fall........

DSCN1525.jpg

DSCN1526.jpg

Last edited:
:D Exactly- that's why I use the same simple old school gauge (that I keep in the frunk) every time I check my tires. You start checking one gauge against another and trying to figure out which one is right...makes my head hurt.
It's not that difficult. Like you, I have an old reliable pencil gauge that I carry with me most all the time. On rides that are going to longer than daylight I also take a lighted digital one cuz sometimes it's dark when I'm checking pressure or plug repairing a tire on the side of the road. The digital one is about a pound shy of my favorite. If the delta ever changes I'll know one is off. The third one I'm just too cheap to throw away. I got it for demo riding a Buell once.

Just noticed this post. My NC also gets the shakes on hands off deceleration. I have dropped the front forks, changed geometry up and down with lowering links, rode it fully loaded (panniers and top case), and with no load. No matter what, the shake is still there. Generally not a problem, but usually when I come up to a stop, I like to let go of the bars and straighten up. I am getting ready to get a new front tire soon. The present tires are Metzler.

I had the same problem with my Moto Guzzi EVT. The Metzlers were were cupped. It shook far worse than the NC. A new set of tires cured it completely.

There was another thread about this maybe a year ago or more now.

Anyway, my NCX shakes its head during decel (coasting) if I have my hands off the bars, as it slows to 40-35 mph. With no luggage the issue is reduced. Having the Honda top case on increases shake likelihood and severity a bit, but it's the saddlebags that really make it happen. Interestingly, though, having a passenger on does NOT increase likelihood or severity. Generally, it won't shake with my wife riding with me.

This has happened throughout the ~23,000 mile life of my bike, on both the OaeM Metzies and the current I ContiMotions, with and without RideOn, and largely regardless of whether I use the rear brake or not. When I notice it I'm almost always coasting down a freeway off-ramp.

Never shakes its head when I have even 1 hand on the bars.

I'm guessing steering head bearing adjustment, if it's not something like a loose bolt or misaligned fork tubes or something.

And no, my front brake doesn't drag much. Spinning the wheel will see it continue to rotate for a few to several revolutions, just like a properly a working car tire.

There was another thread about this maybe a year ago or more now.

Anyway, my NCX shakes its head during decel (coasting) if I have my hands off the bars, as it slows to 40-35 mph. With no luggage the issue is reduced. Having the Honda top case on increases shake likelihood and severity a bit, but it's the saddlebags that really make it happen. Interestingly, though, having a passenger on does NOT increase likelihood or severity. Generally, it won't shake with my wife riding with me.

This has happened throughout the ~23,000 mile life of my bike, on both the OaeM Metzies and the current I ContiMotions, with and without RideOn, and largely regardless of whether I use the rear brake or not. When I notice it I'm almost always coasting down a freeway off-ramp.

Never shakes its head when I have even 1 hand on the bars.

I'm guessing steering head bearing adjustment, if it's not something like a loose bolt or misaligned fork tubes or something.

And no, my front brake doesn't drag much. Spinning the wheel will see it continue to rotate for a few to several revolutions, just like a properly a working car tire.

My opinion is that this decel shake is due to bike design. Many bikes do it. I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix it

I agree to not spend time trying to fix what my bike exhibits. I posted as a comparison for the OP. If my bike exhibied headshake _with my hands on the bars_ then I'd likely want the issue corrected.if I knew that it was a not-uncommon issue under narrow circumstances (such as on my particular NCX), then I'd be more likely to forget about it.

My opinion is that this decel shake is due to bike design. Many bikes do it. I wouldn't waste my time trying to fix it

Totally my take, as well.

I was a bit concerned at the ever so slight weave/oscillation effect on the front end when first noted. My bike was brand new, with OEM Metzeler tires. I was quite a bit more apprehensive, when it got markedly worse after the addition of wind catching and/or the subtle weight shift harmonic of adding hand guards.

Much like my angst and over worried about 6th gear vibe/noise that eventually completely disappeared, I can't remember even thinking about the front end doing anything noteworthy after the installation of my TKC 80 tires. It very well may still do it, but I'll be darned if I notice anything anymore. It seems all good now, shrug. :D

Mine only does this shake with the Givi luggage on it. Remove the luggage and shake is gone. My guess is the extra weight on the rear. Guess I need some luggage on the front to balance it out. ;)

Back