• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Well, got my first drop out of the way :(

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I embarrassed myself this afternoon (& possibly done damage to my recovering arm). My wife went to Jeff City to work out, & I decided to ride my bike up there to get my haircut. My wife met me at Great Clips, & decided to go eat lunch at Lees Chicken just up the blvd. So far, so good. I pulled into a parking spot & turned my bike so all I would have to do is drive off when we got done instead of backing out. I had my front end fully turned to the right & hit my front brake. TIMBER!!!!

I couldn't catch it, but embarrassment aside, I didn't know how I was going to get it back up. Im only supposed to lift 20lbs while I heal from my neck surgery. I dont know how, but I got it back on both wheels. That bike is HEAVY when you dont have any strength in the left arm or back!! My wife pulled in after I dropped it & I'm sure it scared her. Only damage was a bent front brake handle (not bad) & possibly reinjured my back. The ride home was a LONG 40 miles & I immediately went for my pain meds. Will probably feel worse in the morning.

Anyway, I heard that everyone, at one time or another, drops their bike. I'm surprised I didn't do it sooner. So, lesson learned! They stressed the front brake issue during BRC & I have several Motorman DVDs & he talks about extensively. I should have listened :( but I know better now...hehe

Time to heal both my pride & back

I hope you heal up completely and fast! Sorry about the drop and I'm sure I will do the same in the future.

Dude!!! You have got to take it easy on yourself for awhile, seriously. It took me a couple of years to get over my injuries from the military and it sucked, but the doctor keep telling me that I could permanently screw myself. Take it easy for awhile and it will work out, I'd hate to see you not be able to ride man. Wow...just take it easy man.

Thanks, Turbo, & I hope you DON'T drop yours. I wont be that stupid again (aren't those famous last words :p ?)

Sorry to hear it happened, specially if you injured yourself. Do you know how to pick it up the easy way (back to the bike)?

Picking up your dropped motorcycle. - YouTube

It's worked great every time I've had to pick up my V-Strom. Much heavier, and top-heavier, than the NC.

SuperStrom.jpg

You know the saying: There are 2 kinds of motorcyclists, those that have dropped their bike and those that will eventually drop their bike. :)

I embarrassed myself this afternoon (& possibly done damage to my recovering arm). My wife went to Jeff City to work out, & I decided to ride my bike up there to get my haircut. My wife met me at Great Clips, & decided to go eat lunch at Lees Chicken just up the blvd. So far, so good. I pulled into a parking spot & turned my bike so all I would have to do is drive off when we got done instead of backing out. I had my front end fully turned to the right & hit my front brake. TIMBER!!!!

I couldn't catch it, but embarrassment aside, I didn't know how I was going to get it back up. Im only supposed to lift 20lbs while I heal from my neck surgery. I dont know how, but I got it back on both wheels. That bike is HEAVY when you dont have any strength in the left arm or back!! My wife pulled in after I dropped it & I'm sure it scared her. Only damage was a bent front brake handle (not bad) & possibly reinjured my back. The ride home was a LONG 40 miles & I immediately went for my pain meds. Will probably feel worse in the morning.

Anyway, I heard that everyone, at one time or another, drops their bike. I'm surprised I didn't do it sooner. So, lesson learned! They stressed the front brake issue during BRC & I have several Motorman DVDs & he talks about extensively. I should have listened :( but I know better now...hehe

Time to heal both my pride & back

I've done the same thing. Hope all is well with your health after the initial "strain" from the accident.

I found that After my fall I started riding very timidly. That, in itself, almost caused a few other tip overs. Just get well!

Last edited:
I dropped a 2006 Yamaha 650 V Star. Too many beers one day and night during a Toys For Tots Run. I pulled in to my my parking spot and came to a complete stop and failed to put my feet down. That was the last time I rode under the influence. The neighbors I waved to at 2:00 am came over and helped me pick up the bike. They were on their way to work. I THOUGHT I was doing just fine until I stopped. :rolleyes:

Take it easy on the back robnpat!! Sorry to hear about your incident.

Thanks for sharing the You Tube video Heavy. I know this procedure but I have never seen it done. Looks like that girl could squat and lift a Cadillac. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
"There are 2 types of motorcycle riders, those that have dropped their bike and those who will drop their bike". It is a cliche, but it happens to everybody, eventually. Sorry, that you were already on the mend when it happened to you. Good luck and get better soon. I grew up in Houston, MO so I know it'll be tough to wait to ride.

Thanks all. And Heavy, I've seen that video before, and that is the way I did it but with a weak back and not a very strong left arm, it was still tough to do. I'm very sore this morning as I thought I would be, but I learned my lesson (no front brake in a parking lot!!) and will heal up eventually :D

I dropped mine the first night I rode it. I was fresh out of the BRC where they make you do all those tight U-turns without putting your feet down, and I was trying to turn around on a narrow road and for some damn reason I kept thinking I couldn't put my foot down, so down I went. I held on to it most of the way so there was no damage, just a scratched bar end, muffler scuff, and scratched mirror. Lesson learned: put my damn foot down if I need to.

I hope you heal up quickly.

I've used that method (shown in the You Tube clip) to lift my 900+ lb Victory Cross Country when my foot slipped on wet grass turning the bike around in my front yard. Pretty darn easy!

Back