• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Well it finally happened! (GRAPHIC VIDEO AND IMAGES)

OUCHH!!! The video is amazing in showing exactly how fast this happens. I've never had a fall (and hope I never do) but it makes me realize that sometimes whenever you don't see or suspect really anything wrong with the road you still gotta take care and watch out... Also makes me realize that a pair of riding pants might be worth it as well. I usually ride out with just a pair of jeans and my motorcycle jacket and gloves as well...

Anyways hope you (and your NC) get better soon!!

Another thing which I read about, are those white painted arrows on the roads. Apparently, the oldschool ones can cause slippage.
All modern roads (aka most swiss roads) have been repainted with friction-full white paints on the road.
:p

painted-white-arrow-sign-in-the-dividing-line-on-the-road-sami-sarkis.jpg
When wet those are like ice. I almost went down at a crosswalk near CU Boulder in a rain storm after work and that was on my VFR with some very sticky Dunlops.
*edit*
In that case it was the large rectangular crosswalk bars.

Last edited:
Ouch! Sorry to see that wreck. Glad the damage to you (and the bike) is not worse. Get better soon!

When wet those are like ice. I almost went down at a crosswalk near CU Boulder in a rain storm after work and that was on my VFR with some very sticky Dunlops.
*edit*
In that case it was the large rectangular crosswalk bars.

Yes, be very careful of those white lines and white markings on the road. Its slippery !

Ken

Last week on my way to work, on a corner that I ride with confidence, I must have hit a transient patch of gravel and the back end broke loose. Fortunately, the road was dry, and the back tire caught almost immediately (about two feet of slide). Other than needing a change of shorts when I got to work, I was no worse for wear. I went back later that day and checked out the likely line as I was passing by the other way, and there wasn't anything to speak of. The grass hadn't been cut, and there weren't any tar snakes. Probably just a few pebbles. At least I didn't need any coffee when I got to work...

For those of you asking where the accident took place, I was on Big Pines Hwy about a mile and a half from where it meets CA2, Angeles Crest Highway. I was 7 miles west of Wrightwood, CA.

IMG_3667.jpgIMG_3670.jpgIMG_3671.jpg

The tar snakes look a lot worse from that aerial shot compared to what I saw in the video. Hope you're riding again soon.

Ugh. Sorry to hear of your crash. It makes me sick to my stomach to think about the injury, the hassle, the insurance, etc.

Hope all goes well for you. Thanks for the video and the lessons learned.

Damn I actually travel in those canyons/mountains that you crashed in. I'll have to be more careful myself so I don't experience a fall.

A couple of years ago while riding in the Smoky Mountains on a hot summer day I noticed my bike was getting very squirrely feeling. I saw the tar snakes but convinced myself that my tires where low on air so I pulled over to check my pressure(they were normal). So I walk onto the asphalt and took a sample of the tarsnake. The heat in the road and sun made the tar so soft and mushy I couldnt believe it! If it was hot on that canyon road in California I have no doubt the tarsnake was a major contributing factor in this low-side. Hope the OP heals quickly and gets his bike whole again in short order. I do think the video helped us all on some level.

Question: are you insured properly? Will the costs be taken care of?
:p

I have good health insurance from my employer so that will be taking care of. The bike, well, I'll be doing all the repairs myself. No need for the insurance company to get involved.

I have good health insurance from my employer so that will be taking care of. The bike, well, I'll be doing all the repairs myself. No need for the insurance company to get involved.
From the look of it I'd say you made the right choice. I did the same when I went down on my VFR. The repairs were a little more than the deductable but it probably saved a huge amount on my insurance rates.
My health care insurance co. called me up and asked about my vehicle coverage so they could pass off some of the cost on my vehicle coverage.
Prepare an appropriate answer in case the same thing happens to you. I won't tell you to lie and say it was a dirt bike accident or anything like that.

Keep in mind that if an accident happens on a public road and more than $750 worth of damage it has to be reported to the DMV within 10 days, and depending on your agreement with the insurance company, you might have a legal obligation to tell them as well. That doesn't mean you will now have a point on your record, or that insurance has to do anything, as you have the option of declining any insurance payout.

...and depending on your agreement with the insurance company, you might have a legal obligation to tell them as well.

But doesn't that violate the 5th Amendment by revealing the contents of my mind? I've heard you had to report the accident if the damage was over a certain dollar amount, but what constitutes damage?

But doesn't that violate the 5th Amendment by revealing the contents of my mind?

The Fifth Amendment has to do with not being forced to incriminate your self in the context of actual or potential criminal prosecution by the government, not with invalidating any contractual agreement you may or may not have made with a private third party such as an insurance company or with any requirement to report something to an entity such as the DMV which doesn't involve incriminating your self.

There's nothing criminal about hitting a tar snake and falling down.

There's nothing in the Constitution dealing with protecting the contents of your mind, as far as I am aware. If there were, you couldn't be compelled to testify against others either.

Just did a quick parts and price list of what it will take to get the bike back up and running safely. It totals out to around $550. Not too bad at all!! Of course, this doesn't account for all the plastics, but that will have to wait.

Back