• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

what is the chain slack diff on side stand vs center stand?

There's an easy way to make up your mind: get off your lazy butts and go measure any difference yourselves! I went out last night for kicks and tried it numerous times and the difference is so small I can't measure it on my bike. I'm talking a couple mm's at best. Different bikes may get different results due to how they are set up, lowered, etc.

I did get off my butt and measure it. , i found a diff of 3-5 mm, some found no diff.

remember the purpose of a forum is to get other people opinion, help one another, catch mistake and get tips and new finding from other member. but mainly is to bring a topic up for discussion.

thank you for going out last night and measuring and reporting back.

.... best to make adjustment on center stand with wheel off ground.

It's certainly easier to adjust on the CS, but setting it to 1 3/8" on the CS will have it tighter than a banjo string when you sit on the bike.
Green in the above diagram represents CS, yellow, when sitting on the bike.

The technical explanation of the relationship between these 3 pivot points is ' the center point of the front sprocket is not concentric with the pivot point of the swing arm'.

Did somebody mention shaft drive? Predilection is one of those $100 words. :D

Last edited:
I love the shaft drive on my Boulevard C50; only maintenance is changing the diff oil in it every other oil change (actually listed every 15,000 miles but too easy)-takes 5 minutes to perform-remove the drain plug, remove the filler plug, drain oil, reinsert drain plug, put in approx. 2oz of 90 weight oil-just to the bottom of the filler plug threads, reinsert filler plug-done.

...setting it to 1 3/8" on the CS will have it tighter than a banjo string when you sit on the bike. ... :D

Why?! How did you come up with that?
At least five members stated that difference in slack measurement between CS and side-stand is in average 5 mm (7/32" +-).
How many more people have to say the same so it become "Law Of the Land of NC700 type of motorcycles" and not some e.g. "long-travel suspension dirt bikes"?

I weigh about 220. I set my slack on the original chain as is suggested in the NC700 shop manual. It didn't make it 12K miles. Too tight. A friend of mine who is into Supermotos and dirt bikes suggested that I measure it weighted. So I had my son seat up as he weighs nearly as much as I and set the slack to about an inch and a half. It looks way too loose, but it sounds better and feels right when riding. My mileage has been just under 80mpg even during the winter. This is the way it's going to stay for the foreseeable future.

I weigh about 220. I set my slack on the original chain as is suggested in the NC700 shop manual. It didn't make it 12K miles. Too tight. A friend of mine who is into Supermotos and dirt bikes suggested that I measure it weighted. So I had my son seat up as he weighs nearly as much as I and set the slack to about an inch and a half. It looks way too loose, but it sounds better and feels right when riding. My mileage has been just under 80mpg even during the winter. This is the way it's going to stay for the foreseeable future.

Years ago when I had a chain, that is how I was taught; with just one person, put the bike on side stand, lean over the bike from the right side by putting your belly on the drivers seat, then inspect the chain.

I weigh about 220. I set my slack on the original chain as is suggested in the NC700 shop manual. It didn't make it 12K miles. Too tight. A friend of mine suggested that I measure it weighted.

Did you read this, post #28? This is a discussion forum; not a personal rant forum.

I too weight 220# (and a motorcyclist for 50 years.) There is a huge difference in how ANY bike handles weight, being much smaller than an auto. A heavier rider must adjust looser because of the non concentric issue stated.
But, I must admit, I did not see how we were seeing different adjustment readings (at first), but this DISCUSSION forum has cleared that up. We've about beat this topic too death.

Back