• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What is the NC750x like at speed?

Rydinon

Reaction score
Visit site
I ride with a motorcycle club. We have breakfast and ride for 2 to 3 hours to a lunch spot and then everyone heads home on his own. Some guys take the 2 lane roads home, some slab it. Since we often spend a bit of time chewing the fat over lunch, I often hit the freeway.

What is the NC750 like at freeway speeds? There are a few stretches where the traffic is moving at 75 to 85 mph, and I like to keep up with the flow rather than be a target doing 60-65 when everyone else is racing along. Normally, I do 70 - 75. I realize the bike will do over the ton, but is it straining to do 85? Any vibration or buzz from the engine?

The NC won’t be straining at 85 mph, but the wonderful gas mileage will go in the toilet and that tiny gas tank will become a problem on longer rides.

I’m only repeating what I’ve read on the forum. I don’t think my ‘12 NC had been over 75 the whole time I’ve owned it. I simply have no need, reason, or desire to go fast.

I may or may not have hit 100 once. Scary times… allegedly. It did it. Ran it 75 for a couple hours. Got 55 mpg instead of 64-68. It’s wobbly around semis but will handle the speed better than I can

I ride with a motorcycle club. We have breakfast and ride for 2 to 3 hours to a lunch spot and then everyone heads home on his own. Some guys take the 2 lane roads home, some slab it. Since we often spend a bit of time chewing the fat over lunch, I often hit the freeway.

What is the NC750 like at freeway speeds? There are a few stretches where the traffic is moving at 75 to 85 mph, and I like to keep up with the flow rather than be a target doing 60-65 when everyone else is racing along. Normally, I do 70 - 75. I realize the bike will do over the ton, but is it straining to do 85? Any vibration or buzz from the engine?
My biggest fear when I got my 2023 was would it have power to pass if I was already doing 75+. Before that my experience was an in-line 4 and I never worried - I always had power to spare. I was pleasantly surprised to find out it will do just fine. You do have to plan a little, and I like to keep it in standard automatic mode and I’ll drop it into 4th for passing and let the dct get back to 6th when it wants.

Gas mileage is a concern. I get around 55 mpg (US) when cruising at 75-80. I wish it had a bigger tank. I have the Honda touring screen and there is room for improvement there too - but I’ve decided to stick with it.

From a purely horsepower perspective, for solo riding you will be fine. I always travel with a top and side cases which must add some measure of drag and I’m completely confident I have enough power for the job.

Last year I did a Saddle Sore 1000 ride - all highway. No issues.

Attachments

• 20230906_213056.jpg
    20230906_213056.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 12
Gas mileage is a concern. I get around 55 mpg (US) when cruising at 75-80. I wish it had a bigger tank.
You are the second person to say cruising at 75-80 reduces gas mileage to around 55 mpg. I don't see that as a problem. My VStrom gets just under 50 mpg year in and year out. Yes, it has a bigger tank, but even on the freeway, gas can be found every 40 or so miles.

As long as there is a gas gauge, and gas stations, I can deal with that. Heck. I could even carry a spare gallon of gas if needed. Ohio seems to be awash in gas stations

You are the second person to say cruising at 75-80 reduces gas mileage to around 55 mpg. I don't see that as a problem. My VStrom gets just under 50 mpg year in and year out. Yes, it has a bigger tank, but even on the freeway, gas can be found every 40 or so miles.

As long as there is a gas gauge, and gas stations, I can deal with that. Heck. I could even carry a spare gallon of gas if needed. Ohio seems to be awash in gas stations
My FZ6 got 45mpg no matter how fast or slow I rode it - but it has a 5.2 gallon tank so I always got 220 miles no matter what. That’s what I’d like here for range too. I’ve purchased a couple 1 liter gas bottles for peace of mind on long trips. For the overwhelming majority of trips I take you’re right - there are plenty of stations to stop and top off.

I frequently ride 35 miles to work at 75 to 80 mph. Never got less than 60 mpg even with soft saddle bags. I can accelerate pretty well from 75 to 85 in 6th gear. And I’m kind of a load.

I’m sure the fuel mileage drops off at a sustained 75 mph, but if you had a bike that averaged 2/3 the fuel economy, its mileage would likely drop off as well. There are exceptions.

Other than that, I don’t ride on highways much, but considering the number of times I’ve found myself at 120-130 kilometres/hour without thinking about it, I suspect the NC will do just fine.

It's fine, it's smooth, it still has a little power left to pass running 75-80 even with the larger frontal area that comes along with a Madstad shield and Barkbusters. There is little vibration, the mirrors are clear, and the NC is very stable up to its top speed of about 100. It runs for hours on end tank to tank of gas at 80 with little drama. I completed a Saddlesore 1000 twice and a Bunburner 1500 on my 2012 and 2015. I attempted a Bunburner Gold, 1500 miles in 24, in which I calculated I needed to average minimum 50 miles per gallon at 80 mph to cut the gas stops down to fit the time allowed. For an NC 50 mpg is not good but for any bike to average 50+ mpg at 80 is doing great.

Last edited:
I love riding the NC fast when I can, which is rarely. It is for me super sketchy at speeds, not because the engine struggles, but because it's light and fidgety and I'm used to bigger CC bikes. I've had her up over 80 quite a few times, and she doesn't have much of anything left at that speed. It's one of the main reasons I would really never use the NC for longer trips, and only use it to commute. Every couple weeks I get on the freeway to blow out the cobwebs and get her up to 80+ but every time I'm glad I don't have to do that any distance. I regularly do 400-800 mile days on my bikes, a K1300S right now, and a fundamental criteria for that for me is the ability to pass at speed rather instantaneously. There are just too many tight spaces and short passing windows for me to tolerate an NC doing that.

So the technical question of whether the bike and engine are capable of it is definitely yes. The secondary question of whether you would prefer to use this bike for that is a deeply personal question that comes down to preferences on riding style and even where you ride. Out here in the Wild West we cross vast distances at very high speeds, and the NC would rather cruise comfortably at 60 than the triple digits I commonly do.

As for mileage, I continue to never get better than 55mpg no matter how I ride. Babying it and keeping it below 3,000 rpm and still, 53, 54 or maybe 55. Wring it's neck, and still average 55.

It's a good thing that we all don't live in the same place and "need" 150 hp to feel safe. Riding a NC700X 8 hours and 450 miles through wooded farmland to the Smokies for a few days of riding is very different than blasting triple digits across flatlands.

I love riding the NC fast when I can, which is rarely. It is for me super sketchy at speeds, not because the engine struggles, but because it's light and fidgety and I'm used to bigger CC bikes. I've had her up over 80 quite a few times, and she doesn't have much of anything left at that speed. It's one of the main reasons I would really never use the NC for longer trips, and only use it to commute. Every couple weeks I get on the freeway to blow out the cobwebs and get her up to 80+ but every time I'm glad I don't have to do that any distance. I regularly do 400-800 mile days on my bikes, a K1300S right now, and a fundamental criteria for that for me is the ability to pass at speed rather instantaneously. There are just too many tight spaces and short passing windows for me to tolerate an NC doing that.

So the technical question of whether the bike and engine are capable of it is definitely yes. The secondary question of whether you would prefer to use this bike for that is a deeply personal question that comes down to preferences on riding style and even where you ride. Out here in the Wild West we cross vast distances at very high speeds, and the NC would rather cruise comfortably at 60 than the triple digits I commonly do.

As for mileage, I continue to never get better than 55mpg no matter how I ride. Babying it and keeping it below 3,000 rpm and still, 53, 54 or maybe 55. Wring it's neck, and still average 55.
Interesting that your location says “Salish Sea” but you talk about the “Wild West” and “vast distances.” Not exactly wide-open country near the Salish Sea. As for “commonly” doing triple digits, I’d like to thank you for keeping my insurance rates up, and public perception of motorcyclists low. The only place where it should be “common” to do triple digits is a race track. Unless you’re talking kilometres/hour.

I can't wait to take my NC to AR and blast turn to turn on it. Will be lots of fun. There are some state roads there that hardly have a straight. And of course you are not going to gain much speed on the short straights there. Will be much better than a bike you can't wring out.

Back