• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What mods disappointed you or better yet, caused complications you didn't expect.

Dave Modisette

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
In my case it was the seat pad I added to the Honda Top Case and the new Shad pillion Comfort seat. When I raise the seat to refuel, the extra padding in the seat makes contact with the pad on the top case. I have to give it a little push to compress the padding to make the seat brace engage.

I didn't realize it when I took my wife for our first two up ride that her toes were touching the back of my boot. I didn't notice but she was concerned that it was interfering with me when I put my foot back up on the pegs after a complete stop at a light.

I have been looking at some lowered foot pegs but I am having second thoughts now - wondering what further modifications that may cause.

Seat can be modified so you do not have to open the seat to put in gas, and still have the same rear seat. Any local upholstery shop can do this for you. I did my own, so I know that the local shops have this ability. You just cut a hole in the front of the passenger seat, and bingo the gas cap is ready to pop off to put in gas.

seat 001.jpg

seat 002.jpg

seat 003.jpg

seat 005.jpg

I like/need to have a center stand, but the OEM Honda one interferes with my left boot. That bugs me a bit.

No bike is "Perfect", just like dduelin mentioned.

I personally think that adding a rear case limits the space for the passenger to occupy. I have ridden my son on my back of the bike me when he as 16 years old. We was very tall and thin. He as a little to close to me while I was driving. Taking the rear case off would have given him and myself a little space. I ride alone most of the time, so this is not an issue during those times.

If you have the Honda rear case, you may have to take it off during fueling. Your collision issues will not be present after the removal of the rear case. The Honda rear case pops on and off very easily. I know that might become a pain, but it would be an easy enough work around.

Rusting of Givi accessories. The paint on them is appallingly bad. In this case both the crashbars and the pannier racks. I suspect this does not happen in warm dry countries but here in Europe it certainly does. These items are well designed but their paintwork is rubbish.

Rusting of Givi accessories. The paint on them is appallingly bad. In this case both the crashbars and the pannier racks. I suspect this does not happen in warm dry countries but here in Europe it certainly does. These items are well designed but their paintwork is rubbish.

I had this exactly happened with the rear case mount for my Zero SR, it was also a Givi part. I painted it myself rather than return it to the vendor where I got it. I did contact the vendor to expressed my discontent with the quality of the item.

Givi V35 sidecases. Delicate little plastic mechanisms in the lock and release system. The fasteners looked more suited to holding a wristwatch together than a piece of motorcycle luggage. Replaced with Pelican Storms on Hepco Becker mounts.

Givi V35 sidecases. Delicate little plastic mechanisms in the lock and release system. The fasteners looked more suited to holding a wristwatch together than a piece of motorcycle luggage. Replaced with Pelican Storms on Hepco Becker mounts.

How about a few pics?

The OEM saddlebags ... didn't cause any complications, but now that I see what else is out there I'm disappointed in them. They cost me about $750 installed when I bought the bike, and for that price there are lots of other choices. The biggest issue is the odd shape of the bags. They integrate nicely with the bike, but you lose usable space because of the odd geometry. I would have preferred some type of rectangular case that is easier to pack.

The OEM saddlebags ... didn't cause any complications, but now that I see what else is out there I'm disappointed in them. They cost me about $750 installed when I bought the bike, and for that price there are lots of other choices. The biggest issue is the odd shape of the bags. They integrate nicely with the bike, but you lose usable space because of the odd geometry. I would have preferred some type of rectangular case that is easier to pack.
Yeah, I understand why bang for the buck and actual cargo space would disappoint you. Going OEM was more about confusion about what works with what and just getting it done. What I like about the OEM gear is that it looks like concern for passenger ergonomics was in effect. We haven't taken any trips where clothing has come into play so I reserve the privilege of changing my mind. ;)

totally agree about the confusion factor. I still can't figure out what friggin' mounting system goes with what bag and top box. And nobody wants to offer the "entire package" -- I guess because of sticker shock.

totally agree about the confusion factor. I still can't figure out what friggin' mounting system goes with what bag and top box. And nobody wants to offer the "entire package" -- I guess because of sticker shock.

I too found it all very confusing. After a lot of research on multiple vendors' websites I finally got it figured out. I ended up with all Givi Monokey gear - the E22N side cases and V47 top case. The Givi racks that work with those for the NC are the PL1111 side case racks, the 1111FZ top case rack, and the M5 top plate. I believe there are other choices for mounting systems as well but I'm not familiar with those.

Which bags/cases are you interested in? Someone here ought to be able to steer you in the right direction regarding mounting system choices.

[The paint on them is appallingly bad. In this case both the crashbars and the pannier racks.]

The paintwork on my Givi engine guards was OK, but the first set was "pre-dented" in several places at the factory before painting. Fortunately, Twisted Throttle did an exchange without hassling me - they are great to deal with!

I felt and maybe feel the same way about the saddlebags. I did find a box that fits in the bottom section very nicely and this has turned into a storage bin for my chain lube, tire repair kit, first aid kit, and couple more loose items. It worked out perfect for that. The other side is usually stuffed with my suit so the material conforms to the space. I've gotten used to it.

Someone else made a comment about lack of space between the passenger and the rider with the topbox installed. This is a bigger problem with the OEM topbox than a Givi. The OEM sits further forward hence a space issue. I figured this out when I purchased my BMS rear seat and could no longer fully open the seat to fuel the bike. Others were not having the issue with the same seat and we narrowed it down to the topbox mounting location.

My Puig windscreen cause a hard rub right after install. That was a pain but it was easily fixed with a set of Rox Risers. I sometimes wish I had gone with the Madstat.

Otherwise, I enjoy the bike for what it is. A great commuter.

Last edited:
Madstad put a line of reflected headlight back at my face.

Saddle boxes (givi trekkers) put my wife's feet occupying the same space as my feet... though we corrected that by having her point her toes out at a 45 degree angle.

How about a few pics?

I've got V35 side cases and the V47 topcase on my NC700. I posted a bunch of pics and a complete list of parts and pieces in the "Pics of Various Bags" thread that's scrolled to the bottom of the MODs section. Here's a link:

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...us-honda-nc700x-saddlebags-18.html#post146928

I'll probably never have a problem with corrosion here in Colorado as it's a really dry climate and I'm pretty much a wussy fair-weather rider!

Back