• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

What's stopping you from getting an AT

The vfr1200x is definitely right up my style of riding but is the AT a worthy road warrior too.

The AT is a decent road bike. However there are better road bikes in the Adventure genre. I favour my Triumph Explorer for long trips on good roads, but if the roads are going to be rough or dirt roads then the AT will be more comfortable overall as it is suspended much softer.

I was all over the AT when it wasn't here yet but my ardor cooled after it arrived.

I have most of the objections listed - it's biased to soft roading with tubes, spokes, and bias ply 21" front. I ride pavement 99% of the time and when I am riding the 1% off pavement the NC still handles hard pack dirt and gravel roads just fine. I've put nearly a $1000 in suspension upgrades and the NC handles really really good so I'd give up top notch street handling for the tiny amount of time the AT would be better off pavement. It's not just the AT, when I traded the first NC for a Triumph Tiger I eschewed the soft road biased Tiger 800Xc for the 800R roadie version however with the Tiger I missed the all around goodness of the NC for the way I ride a second bike and the frunk spoiled me. Enter NC #2.

The second bike focus allows me to segue into first bike reasons. I still absolutely enjoy riding my ST1300. Where the AT would outshine the NC for longer distance comfort the ST sets a very high bar for long distance riding. I can't really see a reason why any current ADV bike offering could dislodge me off that bike.

Of course this is just me. The Africa Twin has massive appeal to many riders with different expectations than mine.

I learned to ride on a St1300. Those bikes are awesome. I definitely considered a sport touring bike for comfort and what not. I totally agree with the all aroundness of the nc. I'm quickly learning the africa twin may not be my best bet. I'm slightly too tall for the nc. I did the seat mod and have considered drop pegs for a little bit more room. But it's just slightly small for me.

2014 nc700x -Rox risers-22in madstad-barkbuster storms.

here's another one I'd be interested in rather than the AT if I were going to be shopping above 650CC for a 50/50.

BMW’s Replacement for the F800GS Gets Spied - 2018 F900GS?

As much as I love the look of bmw.... I'm not ready for the issues and crazy cost of these bikes. I have owned a couple of bmw cars and the cost more in maintenance and repairs than the value of the car. And I have all the bmw software and do all repairs my self. So for the time. Hondas ease of use and maintenance and longevity is gonna take the top spot.

As much as I love the look of bmw.... I'm not ready for the issues and crazy cost of these bikes. I have owned a couple of bmw cars and the cost more in maintenance and repairs than the value of the car. And I have all the bmw software and do all repairs my self. So for the time. Hondas ease of use and maintenance and longevity is gonna take the top spot.
Truth is, I'll never buy anything I plan on doing ADV on that is even that large anyway. Probably heavier than I would like off-road.

Truth is, I'll never buy anything I plan on doing ADV on that is even that large anyway. Probably heavier than I would like off-road.

Yeah that's pretty much my realization. I'd rather take the truck and some smaller dirt bikes and adventure that way too.

If they ever wake up the 450-650 cc range again in a real way and it's dirt enough but freeway too, I'll buy something. Otherwise, I'm happy with my WR250R and my NC.

If they ever wake up the 450-650 cc range again in a real way and it's dirt enough but freeway too, I'll buy something. Otherwise, I'm happy with my WR250R and my NC.

You nailed it. Like I said earlier, I'm waiting for a half sized, baby AT.

You nailed it. Like I said earlier, I'm waiting for a half sized, baby AT.
If a Rally Raid CB500X showed up used at a good price I must admit I'd be tempted in spite of the weight and the non-dirt-oriented body plastic. The NC motor in a similar package would tempt me too.

Buying a motorcycle is like buying a pair of shoes, it has to fit you and only you, not someone else. Too often folks buy motorcycles on the opinions of friends, reviews, the internet, and magazines. If the motorcycles does not fit for what you use it for, do not purchase. The Africa Twin DCT fits me perfect. Now, if I could just get my new kness to fit so good.

Queenie2.jpg

Buying a motorcycle is like buying a pair of shoes, it has to fit you and only you, not someone else. Too often folks buy motorcycles on the opinions of friends, reviews, the internet, and magazines. If the motorcycles does not fit for what you use it for, do not purchase. The Africa Twin DCT fits me perfect. Now, if I could just get my new kness to fit so good.

View attachment 33131

I totally agree. I wish I did a bit more research on available bikes. I probably would have ended up with a slightly bigger bike. I needed something that was going to get phenomenal gas milage when I was running 100 miles a day. But if I had a slightly bigger bike it would fit my tall and lanky frame a bit better than the nc. I happy that I did get the nc as my first adv/upright bike coming from sport bikes and cruise. It has been a great time but I'd be more comfortable on a slightly taller and bigger bike.

For me personally, and not to sound trite, but I wouldn't get an AT because I still want my NCX for all the reasons I bought it in the first place, and the AT doesn't have most of them.

I want the frunk, the awesome fuel economy, the low rpm and mellow power characteristics, the dirt simple user friendly maintenance, the displacement size, and the lesser weight.

Add to that I would never want to suffer with tube type tires on a street going motorcycle again, and any large displacement bike I want to go long distances definitely begs for shaft drive, well, I would pick a Super Tenere over an AT any day of the week.

I made the change from an NC to an AT. I had already been considering a change because while the NC is a brilliant bike, I wanted to experience a little more on the adventure side of riding. I was considering both the AT and the VFR, as I like the DCT trans. For me, the VFR felt too heavy (it doesn't carry it as well as the NC) and just didn't feel right. I was so sure I'd get one, but I sat on an AT and the ergos felt terrific. Even though it's heavily dirt biased, in many ways it reminds me of the NC I had. The center of gravity is low and the weight is very close, it doesn't feel heavier to me. It's much easier to handle than I thought it would be with those wheels, it's actually pretty easy to ride around town. The gas mileage is very good, I get 50 mpg, which for me was an attractive compromise coming from 70 mpg and looking at most bikes in the mid 40s. The engine is tuned more for torque than horsepower, so the power delivery also felt similar to me. It did take some getting used to, but not nearly as much as I thought.
The biggest difference for me would be the suspension. It's very soft and I haven't been able to get it perfectly tuned for me yet. It's great over bumps and off road, but the fork dive when braking is something I need to tweak. I may replace the springs.
Having come from the NC, the extra bells and whistles on other adv bikes mean nothing to me. I've never had cruise control, so the addition of traction control, fully adjustable suspension, and the extra gravel mode for the DCT were pretty neat.
I might change to tubeless rims at some point, but my current attitude on the tube tires is that dealing with it is another skill to learn. I don't mind the chain drive (but the shaft drive was very appealing on the VFR).
For touring, my AT is more comfortable than my NC. My knees don't get stiff and my butt doesn't get sore. The wind protection is better comparing stock to stock (but who's​ going to leave that stock?). I do need to raise the handlebar but I did that with the NC, too.
I'm sorry that my impressions are not very organized as I was interrupted a few times writing this post. Also, I thought I would miss the frunk, but I'm using a topbox around town and my helmet actually fits inside that.

I made the change from an NC to an AT. I had already been considering a change because while the NC is a brilliant bike, I wanted to experience a little more on the adventure side of riding. I was considering both the AT and the VFR, as I like the DCT trans. For me, the VFR felt too heavy (it doesn't carry it as well as the NC) and just didn't feel right. I was so sure I'd get one, but I sat on an AT and the ergos felt terrific. Even though it's heavily dirt biased, in many ways it reminds me of the NC I had. The center of gravity is low and the weight is very close, it doesn't feel heavier to me. It's much easier to handle than I thought it would be with those wheels, it's actually pretty easy to ride around town. The gas mileage is very good, I get 50 mpg, which for me was an attractive compromise coming from 70 mpg and looking at most bikes in the mid 40s. The engine is tuned more for torque than horsepower, so the power delivery also felt similar to me. It did take some getting used to, but not nearly as much as I thought.
The biggest difference for me would be the suspension. It's very soft and I haven't been able to get it perfectly tuned for me yet. It's great over bumps and off road, but the fork dive when braking is something I need to tweak. I may replace the springs.
Having come from the NC, the extra bells and whistles on other adv bikes mean nothing to me. I've never had cruise control, so the addition of traction control, fully adjustable suspension, and the extra gravel mode for the DCT were pretty neat.
I might change to tubeless rims at some point, but my current attitude on the tube tires is that dealing with it is another skill to learn. I don't mind the chain drive (but the shaft drive was very appealing on the VFR).
For touring, my AT is more comfortable than my NC. My knees don't get stiff and my butt doesn't get sore. The wind protection is better comparing stock to stock (but who's​ going to leave that stock?). I do need to raise the handlebar but I did that with the NC, too.
I'm sorry that my impressions are not very organized as I was interrupted a few times writing this post. Also, I thought I would miss the frunk, but I'm using a topbox around town and my helmet actually fits inside that.

You detailed my feelings almost exactly minus more dirt riding. I'm just slightly off of the ergo of the nc. While it's not terrible for short rides I feel it after about 45 minutes. I do miss the oodles if power on bigger bikes. I don't really use that power everyday but when I need it I notice it's not there. I agree with the extra bells and whites not bothering me to a point. But I do want abs and traction control. I don't need it to be switchable like the at. But for those oh crap moments that are unavoidable in cali traffic it makes a difference.

Side note from what digging I've done the africa twin is far out selling the vfr1200x and it's driving prices down like crazy. Most dealers I've called here have a bunch of Africa twins but 1 or 2 vars. So maybe it will be another niche bike.

My dealer wont stock the vfr...says no one asks about them. The AT sells so fast HE cant get a test ride.

My dealer wont stock the vfr...says no one asks about them.

I'm not in sales, but I don't know if that's a good approach. When I bought my NC, I didn't even know it existed, but the dealer near me had one in stock. I knew a bit about adventure bikes because my friend has a GS1100, but didn't really research them all. That dealer had a Super Tenere', a Vstrom, and the NC. The ST and Vstrom were too tall for me, but when I saw and hopped on the NC, I knew it was for me. I bought one the following day.

The NM4 is ideal for my riding. Don't need taller, more powerful, or more thirsty.

Sent from a hacked Speak and Spell, augmented with an old phonograph rocking a saw blade, fork, and umbrella powered by a blowing tree limb.

I have to admit I do like the extra power, but we all adapt so quickly that whatever we're riding becomes normal. It's like riders have become accustomed to instant acceleration, as though it's normal to just flick your wrist and almost teleport forward. The NC out accelerates most cars, so when I rode it I felt it was plenty fast. When I first rode the AT home, I jumped on the highway and all of a sudden I hit 80 before I knew it (wow!). Now that I'm used to it, it doesn't feel any faster, and I'm sure if I rode a KTM the AT would feel sluggish.

Back