• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

what's that cracking noise?

W

wildeone

just noticed when walking bike slowly it comes somewhere from rear wheel
but when I put bike on stand and turn the wheel by hand it's ok. Initially though
it's maybe rear bearing but it would sound also on stand right?

What is the frequency of the noise? If it is once per revolution while pushing the bike, but no noise when turning wheel on a stand, then I would look for a pebble stuck in the tread, or a nail/screw in the tire.

If it is quicker than once per turn, then could be bearings, chain, or possibly rear brake pads. It's possible noise is result of weight on the bike, and with none, the same forces aren't applicable.

What is the frequency of the noise? If it is once per revolution while pushing the bike, but no noise when turning wheel on a stand, then I would look for a pebble stuck in the tread, or a nail/screw in the tire.

If it is quicker than once per turn, then could be bearings, chain, or possibly rear brake pads. It's possible noise is result of weight on the bike, and with none, the same forces aren't applicable.

will check again in the morning but I think is quicker then once per turn and kinda not regular, sounds like bearing but 1 year old bike can have a bearing problem???
is it cover under warranty BTW?

Last edited by a moderator:
will check again in the morning but I think is quicker then once per turn and kinda not regular, sounds like bearing but 1 year old bike can have a bearing problem???

Yes, a one year old bike can have bad parts. A brand new one can.
Many people have found them (bearings) to be dry on the first check.

I had a rear wheel bearing fail but it was not noisy. I previously had a noise from a creaking cush drive on one of my other bikes. Dry chain ?

Sometimes it's the luck of the draw (aka bad luck, lol) that a bearing can go on a new bike with low miles. Some owners here have reported Honda was a bit erm... thrifty with their grease, and a few bearings have been verging on dry. Not unique to any one manufacturer, all of them can skimp in this regard.

I've been amazed by what some people have gotten away with as far as warrantees go, some I would not have authorized if I was the guy in charge, yet other things were denied that is baffling. Wheel bearings are usually a solid NO for warranty, unless obvious and graphic detail is proven to show unusual circumstances.

If you have ridden your bike in water of any appreciable depth like a creek (*ahem*) then it would be kind of against my personal conscience to try and blame Honda or claim warranty repairs. But that's just me.

If you have ridden your bike in water of any appreciable depth like a creek (*ahem*) then it would be kind of against my personal conscience to try and blame Honda or claim warranty repairs. But that's just me.

it was a few creeks actually :) and lots of sand riding, but is there no any sealing in wheel bearings...
if this is bearing 10k miles still sound very low to me for this.

While the wheel bearings are not sealed per se they are protected from intrusion of water and dirt by a dust seal on each side. This is standard practice for Honda and other manufacturers. It is possible to get water into the bearings by squirting water under pressure when cleaning or riding in water over axle deep.

A bad bearing would sound or feel gritty when rotating the wheel with the bike supported on the center stand.

Sounds like a knackered chain. Loose, maladjusted, or kinked links (or some combination). When you are walking the bike, it may be leaning towards you causing the chain to contact the sides of the sprocket teeth. When on the centerstand, the chain will be hanging centrally. Look carefully at the links to see if there are any places that are polished up by sliding contact.

While the wheel bearings are not sealed per se they are protected from intrusion of water and dirt by a dust seal on each side. This is standard practice for Honda and other manufacturers. It is possible to get water into the bearings by squirting water under pressure when cleaning or riding in water over axle deep.

A bad bearing would sound or feel gritty when rotating the wheel with the bike supported on the center stand.

I found evidence of moisture getting into the rear. Following beemerphile's advice, I have coated the inside of the bearing seals with waterproof grease every time I have the front or rear off. The manual also has a grease symbol on them. Even with multiple deep water crossings I've haven't seen evidence of water again.

+2 on the chain as the first suspect.............water, sand and off-road dirt riding = shortened chain life

Obviously second suspect is the rear wheel bearings for the same reason..........

+ 3 on the extra grease on the outsides bearings and axle. Some pull the bearing seals and repack with a quality weather proof grease.

Last edited:
It is unlikely that water will get past the actual bearing seal unless the bike is standing in water above the axle for a couple of seconds. Water can get past the dust seal if a bike is left outdoors in rain for long periods but particularly on the upside where a bike is on its side stand.

strange, I have just checked it again and it stopped...
before I left garage yesterday I lubricated chain, maybe something to do with this?
will be observing this closely now. I have inspected chain as was advised and looked ok to me.

If the chain was dry and also slightly out of line, it could make noise. Lubing would relieve that temporarily.

Back