• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Which is the most acceptable

Rocker66

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.kawasakiw650.co.uk
When I'm refering to something in America I'm never sure whether to type "In the USA" "In the US" or "In the States" so I was wondering which term Americans found the most acceptable so I know which to use in future

I think any of those is fine. I'd go with US, as it is the shortest and easiest to type:D

Well, I can't speak for everyone, but, I don't see anything wrong with any of those terms when referencing our country. I find them all perfectly acceptable.

WGW

I think they're all acceptable. The federal government generally writes US or United States. Personally, I prefer to write (or type) USA or America, but I think I may be in the minority.

Rocker I have used all the terms especially while out in the US and no one has ever been bothered which term I use. In fact if someone is actually bothered I would say they are too anal to bother with :)

Thanks guys I just wanted to make sure that none of them were likely to upset anyone. I will probably us US as 1) I'm lasy & 2) It's the easiest to spell correctly :) I know that some terms can annoy people for instance I hate being called a "Brit" but that's just me

That's a can of worms. Brit in the US generally means English, but it can also mean Scottish, Welsh or for some people in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is called Northern Ireland generally by people of British Origin, or if you are from south of the Irish border it is called 'The North of Ireland'. I am Scottish with a British passport but am a dual national so also have an Irish passport (my get out of trouble passport). if you are born in Northern/the North of Ireland you can get both an Irish passport or a British passport-it is very complex...

That's a can of worms. Brit in the US generally means English, but it can also mean Scottish, Welsh or for some people in Northern Ireland. Northern Ireland is called Northern Ireland generally by people of British Origin, or if you are from south of the Irish border it is called 'The North of Ireland'. I am Scottish with a British passport but am a dual national so also have an Irish passport (my get out of trouble passport). if you are born in Northern/the North of Ireland you can get both an Irish passport or a British passport-it is very complex...

I'm confused already. Lol.

That makes me curious, if not "Brit" do you prefer "British" or "English" or what is the non offensive terms in the U.K.

Either of those is just fine. Most people here would not object to Brit it just that when I go over to Ireland the term Brit is used by many in the area I go with distain as they look on themselves as Irish not British. Lets just say that I had my Orange BMW R90/S painted green and I visit Derry not Londonderry
I don't really want to go any further with that one

Not related but I once had an American teen who read a British car magazine ask me what exactly a "bloke" was :)

Tony

AT least the Americans had the sense to get rid of the Royalty system and have an elected head of state that they can rid of instead of the system of having a head of state just because of who their parents were. Just a pity they had to waste all that tea whilst doing it :)

Except for the passport thing, it isn’t that different from those across the pond calling us Yanks which to us means those above the Mason Dixon Line with the exception of Florida where south of I-10 is Yankee excluding the pan handle which for all practical purposes has remained within the boundaries of the Mason Dixon Line and those on the west coast that are basically a country unto themselves. Oh and can’t forget Texas which technically is below the Mason Dixon but Texas is well…Texas which pretty much describes it.

I personally don’t care if you use Yanks, US, USA, American, ex-colonist, etc.
In Mexico we are Gringo. What do Canadian’s call us? The nuts to the south?

AT least the Americans had the sense to get rid of the Royalty system and have an elected head of state that they can rid of instead of the system of having a head of state just because of who their parents were. Just a pity they had to waste all that tea whilst doing it :)
Now tonight they have just announced another one on the way for us tax payers to support

Canadians call us big brother lol. And Yankees can't make ice tea, but then i guess that will just start another debate with the English. Lol

If an American southerner calls me a Yankee, I just look at them funny. I'm from the West; we were neither Billy Yanks nor Johnny Rebs.

Back