• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Who will lend out your motorcycle in a heart beat? Really who?

happy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
www.nc700-forum.com
Recently I have made a request to my biker friends, that I would like to borrow or rent a motorcycle from them because I have a visitor at my home, and we would fancy a half-day ride to the mountains.

I know motorcycles are a priced personal possession and some even would rank it as high as a sleeping partner. But I would like to assess the general mood here, as to who will actually lend out his/her bike to a "good friend" who actually opened his mouth to ask.

I know all the usual "reasons" like insurance, worry for safety, unfamiliarity with your personal bike, he can rent one etc from many owners to politely decline such an "impolite" request.

Imagine this is only for a day trip.

How many of you will
1. Flatly say no. No reasons given.
2. Only lend to really trusted friends, but mostly no.
3. Lend out with conditions or expecting something back
4. Readily help out by giving him the keys. No questions asked. Absolute trust.

This is just a confession corner on how much you value your bike compared to a friend's request.
Let the comments begin!

PS: I will only lend out to seasoned biker friends who can pay for the damages etc or even a new bike. And no racers, of course.

PPS: TBH all the diehard biker friends all turned quiet and looked away when they heard me. Apart from the biker group, a "non biker type" of friend actually said ok and he lends me his RT1100.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I have 4 bikes, and I'm happy to lend any of them to someone that is not a complete stranger, as long as they have some riding experience.

I wouldn't lend my bike just like that even to my friends, who I've been riding with for years. Just because they are not used to the DCT and their muscle memory will make it difficult for them to ride safely right out of the gate.
It took me a while to stop looking for the clutch lever and the gearshift. But I took my time, which in case of lending to someone - they would not have.
On the other hand, if they would be willing to spend at least a couple of hours in the parking lot with me, learn the ropes and demonstrate safely and confidently executed maneuvers - I would consider it, no problem.

I let people use my bike all the time. If I know them ie friends or neighbors and they have a license. My only reservation is will I need my bike while they have it? It's just a bike it can be repaired/replaced.

I would let any of my riding buddies take mine for the day. They've all ridden her before, no big deal. Of course my riding buddies consists of my dad, brother, husband, and a friend of my dad's, so really not a big group.

I would let my friends and family ride any of the bikes in my garage, as long as they possess a motorcycle endorsement. No one has ever asked me though. My brother in law is coming to town this winter and rides an HD. I have offered my 1700 Vulcan to him while he is here. Not sure if he will take me up on it though.

I'll loan out my wife before I'd loan out my bike. But I would expect Reciprocity! LOL!
And I would expect that she would be returned in the same, or better, condition as loaned.
Plus a "large" non-refundable monetary deposit!
Any questions?
Good luck with that!
Back to the Forum.

Over the years I have let several people ride my bikes. It backfired once but it has not changed how I feel. I had bought a Katana 750 and I did not like it. I put it up for sale three months after purchase and a good friend was interested. He came over to take it for a spin around the block. When he did not come back after about 20 minutes we went to look for him. He had run it off the road into a tree. He paid for all repairs and did not buy the bike. He said it scared him and had too much power. A Katana? LOL. Anyway, I've still let friends ride my bikes after this event. Like someone said above, it can be repaired. Since moving to Arkansas I've made several offers to let people try out the NCX. Only one person has taken up my offer.

If I know you and trust you, I don't mind lending my bike out - my brother, my best friend, people like that....

I once swapped bikes with my ex-wife. She had a Goldwing, and I was on my CBR600F4. (That's really brave, huh?) Other than that, I have never been put into this position, although I can recall offering my CBR for ride to a coworker who later bought a CBR600RR. I'm trying to think back to all my previous bikes (my memory is fuzzy) and can't remember ever loaning one for a ride. I do recall taking a ride on borrowed bikes (KZ900 and Goldwing), but that was all my ex-wife's doing.

I'll rent out my NC700X for $8000... for as long as you want it!

Except for the mechanics that did the PDI and the 600 mile service, I am the only person to ever ride my NC. My Ducati has been ridden by 3 other people since i bought it in 1996. If any of those 3 people, who are both dear friends and excellent riders, want to ride either of my bikes, the keys will immediately be handed to them. Other than that, I don't lend out my bikes. I do not borrow other peoples bikes. Accidents happen. I refuse to be the one responsible for damaging something so precious to another person. That's just my outlook on the subject.

I'd not loan my bike out to anyone I didn't know, didn't trust or hadn't ridden with. Plus I just wouldn't feel right not having my bike ready and raring to go for any length of time :)

I have been blessed to have friends lending me bikes that I could not afford for long rides and this opened my motorcycling horizons in the past. I was also lucky to be donated bikes by them. So I am following their example giving away bikes or lending rides.

There's friends and friends i think.

My CRF250L would be a an easy loan to an acquaintance with a license and only after i approve of the riding style. (I'll come along for a few hours after it's enjoy your ride.) This would also be feasable on regional roads. Not advicable for long tours or highway travel.
The Tricker Yamaha would be an easy loan if someone wants to get a whiff of off-roading/trail-riding. (I"ll come along though on the CRF so basically anyone with a license.)
The Track diesel is a special basket case. You'd have to be my very good friend (2 people with license would qualify for that). Or I can tag along on your GS. With harsh scrutiny on how you treat the belt. (c.v.t.)
The NC is new. So only very good friends.

And i don't mind, with those that are well behaved on a bike, a round on a field or something while i stand and watch.

In California and in most states- so check your state, the insurance policy follows the vehicle. if the person you let borrow the vehicle crashes and kill someone with your bike or car. the family member of the one killed has the right to sue you ( vehicle owner) for everything u got . unlikely win depending on the situation. but you would have some shit to deal with.

so be careful who you let touch your bike.

to answer the question. no one. unless is life or death--- which is an unlikely case
i dont care if my friend breaks my bike, i can buy another one. you cannot buy your life back if for some reason he does something stupid

also some insurance policy will reduce your liability cov if you are not the one riding or driving.

most of this info is in your motor policy, please read it when you get a chance and know what you are risking.

Last edited:
I only allow 2 friends ride my bikes; I know their riding experience and capabilities-heck I wont even allow family to ride my bikes (my brothers keep asking, I keep denying).

I only allow 2 friends ride my bikes; I know their riding experience and capabilities-heck I wont even allow family to ride my bikes (my brothers keep asking, I keep denying).

I've only let a few people ride "NaNCy" other than the mechanics at my dealership. I know these people for many years and ridden with many of them off and on during that time. I even let one of my nephews rider her, just to give him the experience that there's more than Sport Bikes out there. Also to introduce him the DCT. He commented after riding NaNCy that is was a "Weird" at first not having to use a clutch or swift through the gears.

Over the weekend, my nephew and I went out and brought a 2014 CB1000R together, see the images below. I helped him and his brother get this bike, as they are good and trustworth. They're in their mid 30's and have their heads on straight, not has much can be said about their mother. They also helped me through a terrible situation with my grandfather's estate, which give me the needed funds to purchase NaNCy.

IMG_3632.jpg

IMG_3633.jpg

I get to ride it all this week to do the initial break-in on the bike. Then they will be taking over from there.

Last edited:
As a teen the rule about borrowing vehicles (cars, off-road motorcycles) was: "you break it, you fix it."

As I only have one MC, my answer would have to be "no".

Any one who asks nicely while holding me at gun point can have the key to any vehicle I have the keys for.

I might let my dad or brother-in-law take it out if they wanted too, and they could flat foot it... it's quiet a bit higher than any of their bikes, and they are a fair amount shorter than I am.

Back