• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why a NC700X?

I've had 19 motorbikes and been riding on and off for 45 years. In 2011-2012 was looking at 650s to replace a second bike of mine that was getting high mileage. I rode the Kawasaki Versys, KLR, and Ninja 650 along with the Suzuki WeeStrom 650. Nothing moved me into action then the NC700X was released in Europe. I followed the bikes' forum threads in the UK and in ADVRider closely for a few months. When it was announced the bike was coming to the USA I put a deposit on one sight unseen. My reasons: I am a Honda guy and that to me means good if not class leading quality in engineering and fit & finish. It would be reliable and look good and still look good with age and miles if I took care of it. I liked the fact the NC mission brief took a different spin on things in this class. Instead of chasing horsepower the engine was designed to be more efficient than other bikes and give great economy. 270 crank for torque and character. It would be simple to maintain - single set of brake pads front and rear and easy to adjust screw-and-locknut valve tappets. Single fuel injector - no more throttle body synching. The locking storage compartment. I also liked the styling, while it's not an adventure bike or dual sport it had styling elements from both. The magazine and forum reviews & posts mentioned light and nimble handling. Decent if not great suspension. I was intrigued with the DCT gearbox but I wasn't sure I would be happy with it plus back then it was a lot more money than a manual box so I stuck with what I knew.

I took delivery of a manual transmission 2012 in July 2012. I got wind management, comfort, and luggage good for me and went riding. I traded it 29,000 miles later for a Triumph Tiger 800 in October 2014. I had remorse for the near year I owned the Tiger. After the new wore off the Tiger was (is) a great bike but it wasn't the bike my '12 NC was FOR ME in terms of good street handling and easy-to-live-with practicality. I began looking for a used DCT model and ended up with a good deal trading the Tiger on a new 2015 DCT in September 2015. I learned what mods I liked and wanted on the '12 so it was a quicker job to farkle the '15 into a light tourer.

You get flat torque throughout the rev range, but not all the horses. The 47th horse shows up just around 6200 RPM. Horsepower at 3000 rpm is about 23.

To get 50 horsepower through the rev range, you would need a torque curve that started off peaked way high at 2000 rpm, then fell with a constant slope toward red line. The NC actually has a fairly flat torque curve, so that means horsepower builds steadily in proportion to RPM.

The torque/horsepower curves are here: http://www.mcnews.com/mcn/model_eval/2012decnc700x.pdf

Now back to our regularly scheduled program.

View attachment 28485
Rolling road dynometers give slightly different results due to variables of temperature, atmospheric pressure, operator skill, etc. The Cycle World curves peak at 48.02 and 43.67 respectively. Not much different but some different.

I'm not a wheelie popper or canyon carver. I'd like it to be fun to ride, but I'm not hung up on top speed or quarter mile numbers. Other bikes I was/am considering strongly are Kawasaki Versys 650 and Suzuki V-strom 650.

Yep. Me too. All of what you wrote. I got my X last August. I rode one Versys but didn't like the ride at all. When I rode the X (2014 model) I was sold. Never did get a chance to ride a Vstrom but was definitely interested in that one as well. I had just sold two other old bikes ('85 Shadow 500 and '95 Kawisaki KLR250) and was interested in something newer and more reliable with fuel injection, good fuel economy, touring capabilities and not too heavy. The X fit the bill. I would have been interested in the DCT version too but there weren't any (used) anywhere near my location. I would have loved to have gotten ABS. I put about 600 miles on the bike before winter and really love the ride.

Since getting it I added a Fenda Extenda, Puig touring windscreen and visor, handguards, crash bars and Givi side and top cases. The cases came from Motostorm in Italy. Buying directly from Motostorm saved money.

Looking forward to taking it out more as the weather improves.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. I tried to answer earlier but it went to a moderator for approval (not sure why; maybe because I added a couple pics?)

I thought that might be what was putting a stick in your spokes- should be all good to go now hopefully.

I bought this bike as a upgrade from a 125cc scooter. Never having ridden an actual manual motorcycle, I just didn't want to deal with it.

The bike is such a huge upgrade (in so many ways), but it just feels so amazing riding it compared to the scooter!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the great replies. I tried to answer a couple times but the forum was blocking me out yesterday. I'll reply when I have more time tonight.

Plot twist!

I found a 2015 nc700x right here in my own hood for a blowout price of $4999--same price I was going for with the 2013. Deal!

7mfeCQ2.jpg

I don't see why this is a hard bike for dealers to move; I guess most people want to believe they are racers, or Hell's Angels, or world travelers. But this is really the bike I need, and probably the bike most of them need, if they were upfront about it.

I called off work and I'm going out to ride!

Ack! The forum blocks any attempt to link or post picks, but here is the plot twist:

I found a 2015 here in my own town for the same blowout price as the 2013--$4999. Deal!

I called off work, got covered with Flo, and I'm going out to ride!

Awesome!!! Congratulations.

I am a slave to practicality. Function over form has always been close to my heart. I read everything I could find on the NCX before I bought one. I thought about the way I rode and what I wanted the bike to do. I would say that the top five reasons, in no particular order, were:
1. Honda reliability
2. The Frunk
3. Fuel Economy
4. Engine's laid back character
5. Styling

It won't rev to the moon, but it doesn't have to. There is power when you need it, it's just delivered differently from sport bikes. The NC starts every time, purrs like a kitten, and gets me down the highway with ease.

You can fit so much stuff in the frunk. In mine I regularly carry two pairs of gloves, phone, wallet, tools, car charger, tire pressure gauge, spare sunglasses, owners manual, ear plugs, bottle of water, etc., and it's the perfect size for my CPAP.

I don't drive like I'm in the MotoGP circuit. It is plenty fast for everyday riding. In fact, in the hands of a competent rider, the NC will surprise you how quickly it can get through the twisties.

The fuel economy is spectacular even when you are beating it hard.

All in all, I'm not a kid anymore. I don't ride like a kid. This bike is a practical bike that isn't the best at everything, but doesn't disappoint either.

I've posted this info before so I'm sorry if you are reading it again, this is good typing practice. I fell head over heels for the bike just rolling out of the dealers driveway and I'm very happy with the DCT. My highest mileage in the shortest time prior bike was a Honda Silver Wing scooter with a CVT transmission at 21,000 miles in two years, that I traded in for a new 2009 BMW G650GS. The BMW went only 12,000 miles in the three years I owned it. I sold the BMW and bought a PC800 that I only rode 2500 miles in two years. I was making excuses to myself to not ride the PC because it was so very uncomfortable for me, I just couldn't find a cure for the awful seat or my arthritic hips. I sold the PC for about what I paid for it and went looking for another bike with some kind of an auto-trans. I narrowed my choices down to the Suzuki Burgman 650 & the NC700XD. I already had two years on the SWing so I was pretty sure what a scooter was like so I went looking for a DCT NC700X that I could take for a ride. Most of the dealers that I contacted over the phone said they would be happy to let me take a DCT bike for a ride but only after I signed the purchase agreement. I rode the 40 miles to the Honda dealer here in central Vermont, Land Air in Essex, VT, They didn't have a DCT NC in stock but the manager suggested I take a brand new standard shift NC out to see how I liked the bike and also take a new CTX700D to check out the dual clutch transmission. I thought the seating position on the CTX was just as bad as it was on the PC but I was very impressed with the DCT. I next took out the standard shift NC and loved how the bike handled and after a few miles of riding I couldn't wait to get back to dealership to sign up for a NC700XD. I had to wait about ten days for a !RED! one to come in. The only regret I have is I didn't buy the bike when it came out in 2012, I just had to waste two years on my "dream bike" the PC800.

PS
I scoured the Burgman 650 and NC700 forums for problems with either bike's transmissions before I made my mind up. No big deal breaking issues on either bike.

Last edited:
Ack! The forum blocks any attempt to link or post picks

Your pictures are showing up; so it's possible there is also something on your side of the equation that is contributing to the mystery. What that could be I have no idea unfortunately, but if a post doesn't work the first time, maybe wait for a few minutes, and hit your refresh button before reposting and see if anything shows up in the mean time.

This subject comes up pretty regularly. My answers are the same as most people, regarding frunk, mileage, utility, et al.

I really have worked to make it the only bike I need. I took her through the Dragon's Tail, more gravel than I ever wanted, more mud than I needed (first time I dropped her) and as much pavement as I could find. From commuting to camping, day rides to week-long trips. It has been everything I have needed and more. Even after 12000 miles I have yet to find the limits of the motorcycle, as they are currently beyond my own limits of where I feel safe. I highly doubt I will fully test the limits of the bike.

Ack! The forum blocks any attempt to link or post picks, but here is the plot twist:

I found a 2015 here in my own town for the same blowout price as the 2013--$4999. Deal!

I called off work, got covered with Flo, and I'm going out to ride!

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

Plot twist!

I found a 2015 nc700x right here in my own hood for a blowout price of $4999--same price I was going for with the 2013. Deal!

I don't see why this is a hard bike for dealers to move; I guess most people want to believe they are racers, or Hell's Angels, or world travelers. But this is really the bike I need, and probably the bike most of them need, if they were upfront about it.

I called off work and I'm going out to ride!

Some dealers don't sell them because they don't want to. They'll steer an interested customer over toward a different model sometimes.

The horsepower crazed moto-journalists don't help sell it either. They like to point out the (relatively) low power output, or call it a scooter because of the DCT automatic.

Then there are buyers that try the bike awhile and decide they want something different. This is evident from the large number of NC700Xs seen on the used market.

It's a niche market motorcycle.

Last edited:
Thanks again to everyone who has replied so far. It seems clear that people are happy with their choice of this bike. There is some good info here so far, and I'm sure I'll pick up plenty on this forum.

Good luck. Let us know how it went.

Well, I got it, and of course went riding. It was a great day to ride here in Fla.; 70ish and sunny. It just took a bit of attention to avoid reverting to dirt bike rev mode. I never hit the rev limiter, never stalled or felt nervous on the bike. It really is a 'beginner's bike, in the good sense. The bike performed well in every task I threw at it, from highway speeds to tooling along the Indian River banks at 25ish.

The bike seems like about the most bang for the buck anyone could ever expect. Just 'tree fiddy' for full coverage and five bucks a week for gas and I'm good to go. I suspect I could use it every day for many years for a just a couple bucks a day total cost, less than bus fare.

If I had to find a complaint...

Probably because they didn't change the seat. :D;)

Yes, out on the road the forward slope was annoying. I'll live with it for a while to see, but I suspect I'll want to change it. I want it to be taller if possible without the forward slope--suggestions welcome.

Other than that, I think I'd like to add a rack and some Trekker style boxes on the back, and possibly some LED fog lights on the front for added visibility--more suggestions welcome. I'm considering crash bars, too; not for dirt riding, but just for tip-over protection. I can't think of any other mods on my radar, but of course I'm looking forward to seeing what else others have done to theirs. thanks, all.

I thought about how I actually ride and the NC fit the bill. I ride the countryside in my neck of the woods and take weekend trips about twice a year. I do plan a three weeker for this summer. I do about 6000 miles a year. The low CG is good for me as I'm short. I changed the saddle, added crash guards, racks and Givi panniers & top case. I did the Madstad windscreen along with heated grips.
1125151329a_zpszyxgkfw9.jpg

^Yes, I want to mirror this set-up in the end, save maybe the heated grips (Florida).

Your pictures are showing up; so it's possible there is also something on your side of the equation that is contributing to the mystery. What that could be I have no idea unfortunately, but if a post doesn't work the first time, maybe wait for a few minutes, and hit your refresh button before reposting and see if anything shows up in the mean time.

OK, I see that my limbo posts and pics have been released now. So, if I repeated myself, it was because I could not see them the first time. thanks.

Back