• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Why a NC700X?

Interesting thread.

I guess a google search brought me here because I am considering the same 3 bikes. My need for the bike is a little different though. I need a commuter, I do 80 miles a day mostly highway miles. My racing days are also behind me and I need a comfortable ride for the daily 80mi, split some traffic here and there, and a bike i do not need to fill up everyday. My question though is, is this a highway bike? I am 6'3'' 200lbs and am usually cruising at 75mph and I really enjoy some get up and go. I've owned a variety of bikes from HD's to race bikes, have not had a bike for the last 5 years. I will not take anything off-road, no interest in that.

Should I keep considering the NC700 or move on to V-Strom and Versys, what say you? Appreciate the help guys!

The NC700X is an excellent, comfortable commuter bike. In stock form it is probably geared toward commuting more than anything else. It works well on the highway. Whether it physically fits you, or whether you would be happy with the "get up and go" are not questions we can answer. If the "get up and go" is a big thing for you, then perhaps look elsewhere.

The NC700X is an excellent, comfortable commuter bike. In stock form it is probably geared toward commuting more than anything else. It works well on the highway. Whether it physically fits you, or whether you would be happy with the "get up and go" are not questions we can answer. If the "get up and go" is a big thing for you, then perhaps look elsewhere.

Thanks, appreciate that.

I guess I have to add a contrary view. The NC700X is the least powerful of the three but it has no problem cruising 80 mph all day long and will return an easy 50 mpg doing so. I considered and rode each and for various reasons chose the Honda.

In the 1/4 mile none of these are fast bikes and they all barely top 100 mph.

Interesting thread.

I guess a google search brought me here because I am considering the same 3 bikes. My need for the bike is a little different though. I need a commuter, I do 80 miles a day mostly highway miles. My racing days are also behind me and I need a comfortable ride for the daily 80mi, split some traffic here and there, and a bike i do not need to fill up everyday. My question though is, is this a highway bike? I am 6'3'' 200lbs and am usually cruising at 75mph and I really enjoy some get up and go. I've owned a variety of bikes from HD's to race bikes, have not had a bike for the last 5 years. I will not take anything off-road, no interest in that.

Should I keep considering the NC700 or move on to V-Strom and Versys, what say you? Appreciate the help guys!

I looked at all 3. If speed was important to me, I would have chosen the Versys; I almost did. Since I wanted economy, the NC made more sense. If I had an 80 mile a day commute, I would be even more drawn to the NC for the mileage, and I think it does fine on the highway. But, if you want the get up and go, Versys would be the one. Vstrom is not exactly slow, either, but the handling is a bit less sporty than the Versys.

Interesting thread.

I don't know what the small engine Suz. or Kaw. offers for highway oomph.
My last "big bike" was a 90s concourse. It topped out at 142, indicated. My 76 (or so?) Honda 550F topped out at 115, indicated. My NC tops out at 85.
I stay away from interstates now as I feel it can't keep up well since many interstates are now 80mph+. While on the interstates I stay out of the fast lane. I was used to being able to easily roll on from 65 or 70 for a quick pass entering the 90s. That is not a happening thing on the NC.

It also has a low center of gravity and is light meaning wind and wind buffeting has noticeable effects. I also find that over ~60 or so the wind pattern blows my knees away from the tank. I find myself squeezing to hold my legs in. An hour of that is all I can take.

My MPG is in the high 50s. At interstate speeds I don't know what it would be. Maybe someone can tell us.

80 miles / day means you will fuel every other day. Probably best if you had some fuel in the garage - but then you would need the car/truck to get more.

Get me right here. This is a fantastic bike and it is all I need or want at this stage but if I was back to commuting every day on the interstate (I only did 50 miles / day for 12 years) I would go for another Concourse. That is me.

I don't know what the small engine Suz. or Kaw. offers for highway oomph.
My last "big bike" was a 90s concourse. It topped out at 142, indicated. My 76 (or so?) Honda 550F topped out at 115, indicated. My NC tops out at 85.
I stay away from interstates now as I feel it can't keep up well since many interstates are now 80mph+. While on the interstates I stay out of the fast lane. I was used to being able to easily roll on from 65 or 70 for a quick pass entering the 90s. That is not a happening thing on the NC.

It also has a low center of gravity and is light meaning wind and wind buffeting has noticeable effects. I also find that over ~60 or so the wind pattern blows my knees away from the tank. I find myself squeezing to hold my legs in. An hour of that is all I can take.

My MPG is in the high 50s. At interstate speeds I don't know what it would be. Maybe someone can tell us.

80 miles / day means you will fuel every other day. Probably best if you had some fuel in the garage - but then you would need the car/truck to get more.

Get me right here. This is a fantastic bike and it is all I need or want at this stage but if I was back to commuting every day on the interstate (I only did 50 miles / day for 12 years) I would go for another Concourse. That is me.

For what it is worth I don't agree with your assessment on pretty much every point.

Wind, no problem. Never noticed wind pushing legs out. But I don't ride with my legs out from the tank.

Top speed, easily over 100 mph. Cruise at 80 all day long.

Mpg, never below 60 even fully loaded with camping gear.

You would think we are talking about two different bikes.

For what it is worth I don't agree with your assessment on pretty much every point.

Wind, no problem. Never noticed wind pushing legs out. But I don't ride with my legs out from the tank.

Top speed, easily over 100 mph. Cruise at 80 all day long.

Mpg, never below 60 even fully loaded with camping gear.

You would think we are talking about two different bikes.

Interesting. And equally hard to believe.
I don't ride with my legs out either but the wind wants to push them out.
But it does say NC on the registration. Maybe I got a lemon.
Also, I am not going to argue about any of it. My NC is what it is.

Interesting. And equally hard to believe.
I don't ride with my legs out either but the wind wants to push them out.
But it does say NC on the registration. Maybe I got a lemon.
Also, I am not going to argue about any of it. My NC is what it is.

No argument here. Just a different experience with the same bike. I can't explain it. Maybe the air is thinner here.

My 2012 topped 100 fairly easily as does my 2015. That said I've met Therapy and he's about a foot taller than I am.

I am 5'10", 210 Lbs; this past weekend I rode from just north of Louisville Ky, to Indianapolis IN to the Motorcycle Expo at the fairgrounds (2013 NC700X-now with 27,000 miles on it). I rode Interstate and was doing between 80-85mph easily. Passed cars in the fast lane when needed, had more oomph when needed (didn't need to downshift). I have a CeeBailey 22" windscreen, soft bags on the sides (only sticks out from the sides about 4 inches), and a small 35L topcase. The wind was moving me around some, but the wind gusts were 40mph and with all the dirty air from the cars, trucks, I was surprised by it (my 600 lb cruiser gets blown about by the same conditions; I feel the wind moving me around more in my Prius). Last summer I did 90mph up Mont Eagle Pass in Tennesee, west bound on I-24 (5th gear). I only had the bike up to 100mph (GPS) once, after the break end period-just something I do with all my bikes, hit triple digits once and then no more (I am not a speed demon). The bigger/taller/wider wind screens, the wider side cases, the bigger topcases, will increase drag, thus decreasing top end speed (also reduce mpg).

I have wondered if the windshield hurt or helped mileage. Before the shield the air hit me square in the chest. It seems the air moves up and over smoothly in comparison. I didn't ride without the shield enough to do a fair comparison.

I have wondered if the windshield hurt or helped mileage. Before the shield the air hit me square in the chest. It seems the air moves up and over smoothly in comparison. I didn't ride without the shield enough to do a fair comparison.
I had a small 15" shield on my 2012. It easily achieved 105 mph GPS - the speedometer error was about 0.5 at 60 mph (60.5 indicated was really 60) and off about 1 over 100. It also tracked a tick under 67 mpg over 13,000 miles of mpg tracking.

When I got the 2015 I immediately installed an 18" Madstad, both taller and wider than the 2012's shield, also Bark Buster handguards. The Madstad also has winglets that work great to reduce cockpit turbulence at the expense of additional frontal area. The 2015 struggled to make 100 mph and the mileage is averaging about 5 mpg less over 7,000 miles.

A couple weekends ago I went to the closed course area and did two passes with all this stuff on the bike and it recorded 99 GPS mph. I took off the windshield and Bark Busters and two passes were 105 and 106 GPS. I had no windshield on it but did leave the winglets on.

All this just to quantify how windshields affect top speed and MPG not so show that it's a fast bike. It's not.

I had a small 15" shield on my 2012. It easily achieved 105 mph GPS - the speedometer error was about 0.5 at 60 mph (60.5 indicated was really 60) and off about 1 over 100. It also tracked a tick under 67 mpg over 13,000 miles of mpg tracking.

When I got the 2015 I immediately installed an 18" Madstad, both taller and wider than the 2012's shield, also Bark Buster handguards. The Madstad also has winglets that work great to reduce cockpit turbulence at the expense of additional frontal area. The 2015 struggled to make 100 mph and the mileage is averaging about 5 mpg less over 7,000 miles.

A couple weekends ago I went to the closed course area and did two passes with all this stuff on the bike and it recorded 99 GPS mph. I took off the windshield and Bark Busters and two passes were 105 and 106 GPS. I had no windshield on it but did leave the winglets on.

All this just to quantify how windshields affect top speed and MPG not so show that it's a fast bike. It's not.

This is all very interesting. I have a 20" Madstad, Barkbusters Storm, knee and foot louvers as well as crash bars with lights. Even though I replaced the rear sprocket to a 41 tooth I have seen no change in mpg and have been consistently getting 54 mpg. I try to maintain a speed of over 70 mph on the highway. Your post is encouraging me to do some testing without my Barkbusters and windshield. I would have thought that the windshield and Barkbusters would manage airflow better and create a more aerodynamic structure but it seems all they are doing is creating drag.

I am 6'4", 225 lbs and my 2015 DCT fits me better after adding 2" Rox risers, vario footpegs, and a Shad seat. I also added a MadStad windshield and motech hand guards. I came from an 03 BMW K 1200 GT. I miss the power and freeway cruising on that beast. However, I like how it handles around town and in the twisties. Freeway issues mainly due to buffeting. I didn't install the side deflectors with my MadStad because I thought they looked bad. I am either going to those on or get one of those small deflectors to attach to the windshield. Have been doing my own maintenance so far. Piece of cake and cheap. I don't miss the huge maintenance bills from the BMW. I think I would be happier with the 4 cylinder Crosstourer that are finally bringing over from Europe. I can't really justify the expense since I only ride on weekends.

To answer the initial question I bought the NC700x as my first motorcycle. I wanted this as a cheaper (accessible for me, I don't make much) jack of all trades bike. I like the very low center of gravity with the engine canted forward, it made learning to get used to a heavier bike (came from scooter) much easier.

I like the styling as well, i didn't want a harley type, or a sport bike. I didn't want to look out of place with my aerostitch on.

I wanted something that I wouldn't be sick of in 1 year (250 cc bike), but could use for 5+ years as a staple and really grow into.

I like the fuel economy, and the versatility offered by the extra storage space. Being able to toss stuff in the frunk quickly, like my GPS/gloves etc, is really handy.

Overall it's the most practical bike I could find and I got a great deal

Back