• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

Rob Ray

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi All,

New here.

I test rode an NC 700 last summer and I want one! But I wonder....will it survive?
My wife had an NT 700 that she has since traded and I noticed they were only imported into the States for a couple of years...too expensive for a 700???

Anyway, my local dealer has the two silver 2012 NC 700s that he got last winter still in stock...HAS NOT SOLD ONE YET!

I notice on cycle trader that they are a lot of new 2012s for sale...what's the deal...is this not a popular motorcycle?

I loved the NC 700 when I demoed it and will have one...but I just wonder if it will be around as a 2014 or will it go the way of the NT 700.

My other dilemma is that the bike I have to trade is worth twice what an NC 700 is, so I can't trade into one without selling my bike first.

If I could talk my wife into one...I'd try to trade my bike for the 2 2012 hold overs that my local dealer still has!

So what do you think...why so many 2012s:confused::confused::confused: left over at such great prices....is it just the bad economy or is this bike not going to make it in the American Market?

Take Care,
ROB RAY

Honda seems committed to the platform. They have a big investment in it and big plans to extend the platform. I feel sure they will give it time to succeed, and not pull the plug after what has obviously been a slow start.

If Honda is to change the thinking of the average motorcycle rider away from what they think they want to what they really need, then it will take a while and will develop slowly. Even a percentage of people who have bought them feel like it over-compromises on power. I suspect that a great percentage of potential buyers, who decide on the basis of comparison of specifications, will choose another bike. I find I like mine more and more as the miles go by instead of less and less. I thought I might become bored with it, but that has not been the case. Instead, I have "settled in" with its character. I am probably not the typical motorcyclist though as I have for years preferred the gentle thrum of a two cylinder BMW to the hyperactivity of a sports bike.

It is to early to sing a requiem for the NC.

There seems to be a lot of interest when people test ride them, its getting them to do it that is the hard part. Its not the bike for everyone and anyone looking for superbike performance from it is going to be dissapointed, possibly why there are some for sale on cycle trader.
Honda thinks the bike is going to do well, they just released two new models using the same engine/transmission combo as the NC. Time will tell.
I've only heard one person here on the forum that isn't happy with his bike, but he has yet to give any specific reasons for wanting to get rid of it.
Read the forums and you'll find that the few short comings the bike has can easily be fixed, fairly inexpensively.
Good luck with the trade.

I guess the point is, who cares if it has a long production life, as long as you get yours before they're gone? If you want one, go buy it now. Yours will last as long as you want to keep it, regardless of what Honda decides for the model's future.

Greg

Last edited:
Also Cycle Trader ads are notorious for NOT being accurate to a dealer's stock .....................they want you to call, generate a sales lead then tell you ....oops .....all the 2012's are gone but have this nice 2013 model for $$$$$.

Other threads mention the NC is a top seller in other markets. YES the NT700 was/is a great bike but was expensive and there a some left over models available. Again a much better seller in other markets....US continues to fight the cruiser mentality as mentioned several times in other threads.

As for short runs in the US market bikes like the CB-1, Transalp and NT650 all were short lived in the US and have a large following today and most parts are still readily available 25 years later.

edit: PS NT700 being expensive as compared to what............has luggage, full fairing, shaft drive, "better" suspension and double disk all standard

Last edited:
NC700X is a pretty bike and a fantastic fuel economy.
It is also styled "right" and the price is not daunting.
I rate it as a Honda success but it may be priced higher, as the Japanese economy recovers after the Tsunami.
Grab one while you can.
:p

We'll I'm surprised they don't seem sell so well is the USA, coz they're selling very well in the UK and in many parts of Europe.
I'm kinda disappointed they aren't selling better over here, but not really all that surprised -- way too practical and functional for American tastes. ;)

Honda isn't going out of business anytime soon, and I see that the NC700x platform is the basis for other models. I'm not worried about parts for those reasons.

Does it sell well?
I remember when the Honda motor cars came on strong in the US. They were sold as depnedable vehicles, not exciting, but long lasting. Honda did very well with that campaign. Sensible people bought Hondas, and those folk are a big market. I'm guessing it will go that way in the motorcycle market... though I concede that "sensible" motorcycle rider is an oxymoron to some!

We'll I'm surprised they don't seem sell so well is the USA, coz they're selling very well in the UK and in many parts of Europe.

Since the US market does not publish individual model sales numbers it is pure speculation on well it is doing.............................I suspect it is doing just fine:eek:

Just with the fact some accessories were in short supply a while back.........sorta makes it look like sales were brisk and faster than the initial plan ????????

Last edited:
nc700x's days in the us market are numbered its going to become a rare odd balll bike ...maybe the cruser version will do better ??? but motorcycling in the good ol usa is mainly a weekend thing for fun rarely a daily lifestyle thing atleast thats what i get while teaching msf to students here in california...

Thanks for the input.....

I got away from cruisers years ago and have had some sport touring bikes and a couple of the 650 Vstroms.
I like the looks, gas mileage, and the low center of gravity of the NC 700X....and I thought it was a hoot to ride on twisty roads during my demo.
I could see this as a bike to take down to Arkansas for a long weekend trip. I also liked the torque and low RPMs...but then I have a BMW RT and am used to some low end grunt and running in the 4500 to 5500 RPM range...it suits my riding style just fine. I really like the bike and care not whether it makes it in the market place...I will own one and I think be very happy with it!
I was just curious as to the perspective of current owners as to it's fate.

Again...thanks for the input,
ROB RAY

As a first-time motorcycle owner, I have NO complaints about my purchase. I have not had second thoughts about the NC700X, and I just know that it will be with me for a long, LONG time, even as I get more experienced as a rider.

we had plenty of people asking us about our bikes at the sgt. my guess is some people are interested but wanted to give Honda some time to shake out any problems.

Last edited:
Last time I was at the local dealer I bought my DCT from which was before the 2013 model showed up, they still had a manual sitting in the corner but no DCT to be seen. Around that time I read on a forum that a dealer in the next county over couldn't get rid of a DCT but sold out of the manual. Go figure.

I know there are numerous dealers here with 2010 Honda Stateline and Interstate 1300cc cruisers still sitting on the showroom floors but Honda keeps making them. With the NC series around the corner, the NT may have been destined for a short appearance here the day it showed up.

I will add to this discussion, but not in the context of specific model (NC700X). I am 26, and several of my friends are constantly asking how I got my license, the training, and how I decided on what motorcycle.

One thing they all have in common, none of their parents ever owned a motorcycle. They have no experience in the culture, passion, and practicality of motorcycling.
The second thing most have in common, they do not want to clutch! I let them test ride my PCX 125cc scooter in parking lots, to give them a chance to experience some aspect of riding. They say they like riding it, and glad they don't have to think about clutching. For many of them, that is the big turn off point of pursuing motorcycling. One of them has a call to a dealer to be the first to get the CTX DCT.

It is my belief that Honda is right, targeting more, new, inexperienced riders with their DCT transmission motorcycles. If they spread that tech to other bikes in their line up with different engine sizes, and styles, I for one can see my generation continue motorcycle sales.

My perspective
I enjoy my DCT. For commuting, nothing can compare, just look out for traffic, and twist the throttle. So much more concentration can be spent on your surroundings. My girlfriend has a manual clutch motorcycle, while I do enjoy the quick highway blast, shifting gears, that is fun... for a while; then it becomes a chore.

I prefer my cars manual, and my motorcycles automatic.

Speaking with my local dealer just outside Portland, they said these are selling faster than they can get them. Of course, we're a bunch of tree-hugging hippies, so the great gas mileage and ability to put our bongs in the frunk has mass appeal.

Speaking with my local dealer just outside Portland, they said these are selling faster than they can get them. Of course, we're a bunch of tree-hugging hippies, so the great gas mileage and ability to put our bongs in the frunk has mass appeal.

Now that's funny right there!
Mike

Like the NT they seem way to practical! Thats hard to sell to motorcycle enthusiasts here in the USA because it sounds boring. The bike makes to much sense. Thats made several models in the past a tuff sell. I see them reaching back to what made Honda great in the late 60's and 70's, a fun bike to ride in a price range that blows the competition away! They did it back then and I think the time is right for it to work again! I have a Hawk 647, had a FT500 Ascot, a Rukus 250 and a few others that never cut it with the general biker population. The fact that you're on this forum, I would bet these bikes I've had appeal to you! Well, maybe not the Rukus but it was actually very flexible for many uses. These and the 700 are nitch bikes and will take a few years for the general population to see what we saw right away.

P.S.- I rode a CB500f the other day. That engine feels great and may require me to have a 500X also. Damn it!

Last edited:
Back