• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

WILL THE NC 700 SURVIVE-Questions?

Don't know, if enough feel they can sit on the NC and like the style, and 'off raod' looks then maybe it will continue to sell. If not maybe the DTX line will take over for the NC line. I thought it weird they discounted the left over 2012 model to only $5,500 before shipping and setup fee...they say due to wanting it off the showroom before the ctx models arrived. Many may prefer a normal gas tank over our storage aread dummy tank. Time will tell I guess.

I think wether people love the bike or not intially gas prices and the constant rise in cost for groceries and day to day items are going to catch up to a lot of "unpractical" people. I've had bikes since I could, and most of them got worse mileage than my F150. Why didnt I put thousands of miles on my last bike, because it did'nt have the room for all the extra gear I carry back and forth to work. Im military, we have lots of gear. I didnt have room for my gym gear everyday, and be honest, how many times do you end up stopping at a store to grab milk or something else on the way home. Im 34, I actually looked at a brand new Wing with the cash to buy it. No offence to anyone out there (I will own a Wing some day, beautiful machine) but I am not ready to move to a bike like that yet. I want sporty looks, storage, and fuel economy that lets me go for a 200k ride because I want to and not feel bad about how much its costs to fill. I have 3 kids and a wonderful wife and dont want to afford a bike that guzzles. I have better places to put my money. I LOVE my bike, it is exactly what I have been waiting for someone to build. About time.

Wether it sticks around or not doesnt really matter to me, it suits my needs perfectly and Honda will have parts for it for a long time. Not that I think it will need many of those anyway.

Last edited:
The short answer is YES. For a several reasons

1. Named Bike of the year for 2012 as it is a new concept in motorcycles "Reinvented" was a word I heard allot when describing the NC700
2. Honda is committed to this "New Concept" motorcycle. They invested a bunch of money in this line, and they are loving hearing it described in the press as "Innovative", "New concept", "Reinvented".
3. It comes along at the right time... when fuel prices are the highest ever and people are looking for economy en mass for the first time ever in the US.
4. The NC700 attracts the most diverse group of riders I have ever seen. Distance, ADV, commuter, Beginner and it has somewhat sporty looks so could pass as a sport bike in some people's opinions. It even attracts the scooter/moped crowd. The bike can be customized to work very well in any of these riding environments.
5. It is probably the most Beginner friendly bike out there. You can be 3 gears off and it will still forgive you.

What I personally love most about the NC700, is this size bike historically only does well in European countries. Fuel prices over there have always been higher and so consumers have been more efficiency minded. The general population there learned a long time ago to buy only as much vehicle (both car and motorcycle) that you need. That bigger isn't always better. Either that or they just had more sense than we did here in the states (boy that's a loaded comment.. LOL).

Now with Gas prices 3 to 4 times what it was a few years ago even the US has had to make fuel efficient vehicles instead of focusing only on performance, or to be brutally honest that "Bigger is better" mentality. Why buy a 700 when you can buy an 1800? You may not need more than a 700cc bike but hey, 1800 is bigger so it has to be better.

I hope this means that the US is finally going to start getting these awesome 600-800cc bikes that were looked down on as being "Too little" in the past.

My wife's car has a 660cc engine. Even as a mid-sized bike (legally a "large" bike here) the NC has more displacement than a very large proportion of the automobiles on the road here on Japan.

When I started riding, anything over a 750 was huge in the U.S. I'm still flubbergusted over the idea of anybody even thinking of making an 1800cc bike, much less buying or riding one. Can't imagine it.

The short answer is YES. For a several reasons

1. Named Bike of the year for 2012 as it is a new concept in motorcycles "Reinvented" was a word I heard allot when describing the NC700

I just googled that, and none of the "bike of the year" awards I can find name the NC700x. Whose award were you thinking of?

DAah. This is an old story for honda and bikes. It is the same thing when they introduced the precursor to ye modern sport bike back in late sixties. The 450 supersport wasnt being bought in the US so they had to make a bigger CB750. The 450 was the superior bike in terms of performance and ride but north america wanted bigger cause that is better. It all stemmed from the origin of north america bike culture.

Outside of north america, bikes are out of necessity. Traffic, space etc. North america, alot of it really took off from world war veterans returning wanting the freedom so here it was a niche attitude over necessity. Many have already hit the nail on the head thouh. Past decade has seen a massive growth in the scooter market because their economy. There has been no bike over here to fill the role because our market is so niche. As result, the survivability is pretty high. Simply put, most economy riders probably do not know it even exists. I found out about it this winter myself. I see good things coming as mentality changes and word spreads.

*A pinging sound resonates as dog hits the nail on the head.* :cool:

Well... I AM an AMERICAN, and it's not too practical for me. It's EXACTLY what I hoped for when I started looking.
It needs the proper promotion more than anything.
Example: in the late 70's when I was in high school, Kawasaki ran a commercial with a lot of young, friendly, people and a musical track "Kawasaki lets the good times roll, (repeat)"...(anyone remember that?)
It was a huge contrast to the "Harley" crowd who, rightly or wrongly, had the reputation of being loud, stupid, thugs.
It worked on me! I never wanted a Harley.... still don't.
(Disclaimer: HD is a better company than it was in the late 70s. Let us recall that AMF owned it for a while... They knew more about bowling alleys than motorcycles! The build quality is much better now, but they're still too loud and expensive!)

((((The build quality is much better now, but they're still too loud and expensive!))))

still crap.ideal for those with small willy's;)

Last edited:
Yes, I believe the NCX is going to stay around. The concept of the bike will stay even longer; it might be the new Honda. The world can always use a more user friendly, well build, inexpensive, FUEL EFFICIENT, low maintenance transportation. I think Honda has reinvented itself and found its way to re-emerge from the recession. A better question is - will Suzuki respond in time to survive in the US market?

Different geographic areas have different demand. In my area these models fly off the showroom floors in both configurations, enough that most local dealers are not even discounting one penny. The manual was vastly outselling the DCT, but now they're tied. Some rural areas/states will not sell as well as other areas/states. Common sense. The average life on the showroom floor at my dealership is 2 weeks this spring. I've read recent sales figures for Honda's motorcycle division and they are through the roof compared to just last year for the same quarter. I forget the web magazine that posted the figures, but they're out there and Honda attributed part of the success to this model. Sounds like a huge hit to me.

Well... I AM an AMERICAN, and it's not too practical for me. ... ... I never wanted a Harley.... still don't.

Well MOST of the people I talk to about my NC do (down here in Texas -- maybe a "whole other country") want a loud HD bike, or at the very least a cruiser of some sort. They probably also want a Mercedes (a car of questionable value IMHO) and diamonds (a fairly common, but extremely over-valued mineral.) That said, I too would like to see Honda's "new concept" models promoted.

As a newly retired Honda dealer, I can assure you that all motorcycle sales are at an all time low right now! No dealer is seeing the product fly off the show room. This is the 5th year of this economic process. In my many years as a dealer, it seems to be a 20 year cycle. The peek of the last cycle for dealers was around 2004, sales were great. Sales have recently got a few percentage points better. All dealers are holding older product they would be happy to get rid of right now. No model motorcycle is leaving dealerships at a fast pace right now. As someone else stated, buy what you want and what fits you right now if you really want to be happy. (Don't worry, Be Happy!) At retirement age (66), I was lucky. The property my dealership was sitting on was worth as lot more than the dealership, and someone gave me a fair price.

Congratulations on your retirement. I got ten years to go myself, but I'm looking forward to long rides for as long as I can be a rider...

I am glad that there are not too many on the road. I haven't seen a single one. I get all kinds of people looking at at and asking questions. If there were more of them it wouldn't draw the same attention.

When I went to purchase mine, the dealer had one in stock. As we negotiated a trade, the one they had sold! I came back a week later when they got two in and purchased one of the two. When I returned the following day to pick the bike up, the second one sold as well! I was at the dealer last Friday and they had one on the sales floor, it was gone as of yesterday!

The guy in the parts / accessories counter said they are becoming very popular!

I look at it as a new format that will become popular when the public is educated as to what the NC700 offers. I remember when the Mini Cooper came to the USA. I thought it was the dumbest car ever, then two years later I find myself owning one!

This bike will do very well!

:cool:

Back