• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wind noise

JimbosToys

Reaction score
Visit site
I am a relatively new NC700X rider. Like the bike - working out quirks/details/farkles.
Wind noise (not tire, gear whine, exhaust, etc.) is really bad with standard screen, a homemade one, and I hear/read also bad with almost all the aftermarket ones that aren't barn-door sized.
Strangely, the same helmet seems quieter on my XL350R?! Yes, standing up on either makes it equal. It's so bad I cannot hear anything else (traffic, horns, etc).
I've been fooling around with collars, neck gaiters, wind dams, earplugs (going to try custom ones soon - ordered), etc. BTW - earplugs seem to upset my equilibrium, but the noise seems to fatigue me beyond normal. A work in progress and no 'AHA' moment yet.
I prefer to kill the noise and/or keep it out of my ear so I can use headset to be able to hear GPS directions, music, incoming texts (handsfree mode) and phone calls, maybe a communicator when on a trip. Unfortunately must always be on call for my job/business. Yes, that sux, but kinda addicted to food and heat and clothes and gasoline...
Came across this helmet (Fiberglass Full Face Helmet - Quiet Ride Helmets) which mimics one of the options I envisioned - earcups like the David Clark headset I wear as a genav pilot integrated in the helmet with an airpump to tighten the seal (he's obviously brilliant since we think alike...). These are not active noise reduction, merely block sound/noise. The helmet is on DOT approved, not Snell. Doesn't mean it isn't good, just not tested/certified.

Question - from our very own no-agenda 'Consumer Reports' members - anybody have any experience on this helmet, Windjammer, etc? I already have tinnitus and do NOT need to make it worse.

Thanks in advance. Can you tell this is bugging me?! This has become an obsession...
Deaf Jim

CLEAR TALL SHIELD.
Parabellum (I'm only a customer) sells tall shields that solve this problem. I've had a 28" on an F800ST and the 24" on my current NC.
Charly is making a 27" shield for my Motus. The tall clear shield really does it all without taking away the look of a bike.
The correct height is the top of the shield should be at eye level. One needs to be able to just see over the shield (having to look through is dangerous), which then will direct air flow over the helmet.
Motorcycling is so much more enjoyable with no wind noise and good weather protection. I'm truly sold on the tall shield concept.

I'd have to know that the helmet was very good before I would pick it for sound performance. Also, a 19 dB NR is absolutely phenomenal compared to any other helmets, but is not really very much if you are already bothered. I expect it would be better but still inadequate. I have some custom ear-speakers that have 28dB NR and I can listen to audio at very low volume settings even at road speed or while mowing grass on my obnoxiously loud lawn mower. Plugged into my Sena headset they work great for bluetooth tunes or boss calls.

Don't know about the problem with equilibrium.

From my experience a lot the wind noise is from the air coming around the front turn signals, along the side of the frunk, hits the body and then goes up and hits the bottom of the helmet. Madstad screens now come with winglets to stop that noise.

On a side note, Sena is releasing an active noise reduction helmet this spring. They previewed it last week at a show so no reviews on it yet. Figure it will be pricy.

"The correct height is the top of the shield should be at eye level".

This is not correct -- the height of the windshield should fall between the upper lip and the tip of the nose of the rider. Eye level is to high.

I wore ear plugs any time I planned to go faster than 45 mph or more than a half hour on the bike, then I got a madstad...

Yes it might look like a barn door, I actually don't mind it as much in person... though I thought it was ugly in pictures, but it is quiet.

I wore ear plugs any time I planned to go faster than 45 mph or more than a half hour on the bike, then I got a madstad...

Yes it might look like a barn door, I actually don't mind it as much in person... though I thought it was ugly in pictures, but it is quiet.

This is exactly my plan when I start doing mods over the winter months.

I was messing around on a few of my longer rides and discovered that it's downright quiet if I stand up tall on the pegs. My conclusion is that the wind noise I experience is coming from turbulence. I think my Givi windscreen is better than stock, but I'm a wuss and want real quiet! My Givi screen will be for sale at a good price at some point this winter if anyone is interested.

Don't discount smaller screens. Height of the screens is just one factor in the complex equation of motorcycle wind noise/buffeting.

Everything matters. Your height, your "inseam", helmet, riding position, solo or two up. Pretty much everything has a part in this. Noise you hear while riding is not just the wind rushing past. That is just one part. Usually "dirty" or disturbed air is making the most noise. What you want is to smoothen airflow as much as possible.

I have just finished (over nearly a year) with my quest to quieten my bike and remove buffeting. Guess what? I ended up with a smaller screen. It worked way better for me. I got it to the point now that I do not need earplugs in my Schuberth C3, neither does the better half who rides pillion most of the time.

I have some custom ear-speakers that have 28dB NR and I can listen to audio at very low volume settings even at road speed or while mowing grass on my obnoxiously loud lawn mower. Plugged into my Sena headset they work great for bluetooth tunes or boss calls.
What kind of ear speakers do you have, Beemer?

The MadStad was the best mod I put on my NC. (Air Hawk was second).

So, how did you get them. I looked at the blog part and it looks like you have to be there for them to inject and let it harden. Looks like a good deal and what I would like for my ears!

I had mine done at a BMW rally, but you can also have the impressions done locally by an audiometrist and mail them in. Contact them for details.

once you can get an upcoming air over your helmet-there is will be no wind noise anymore. at least-not on 45-50mph speeds.
this mean that your windshield should be app. on level of your nose tip.

i'm 5'9" and this was my solution (until i fell and broke that puig screen). it's a clip on. takes seconds to put it on the screen.

0f9ddc396d1e.jpg

all you need is a little extension. don't have to be wide. size of a palm is enough to break the wind.

here is another my home made variation. but i don't like the look. also clip on.

c69840782352.jpg

someday i'll show the folks my another idea regarding windshield extension. i have to make a prototype,to see, if it will work.
it will be very simple ,cheap and universal. when i have some time i'll draw the picture in 3D making soft. unlike rest of them (that german wunder thing and puig extention,that pops up a mile in a front of your windshield ,mine will be BEHIND the main screen and rider can lift it up(or down) with one finger at any time.

I'm also grappling with wind noise on my NC. I've found that a lot of air comes around the cutouts on aftermarket windshields that provide clearance for the handlebar controls & mirror stems. The shape of the front portions of the NC also doesn't help matters. I have Barkbuster handguards (just the plastic, not the heavy mounts) on my bike and I need to remake the mounts because they also add to the air hitting my helmet.

In regards to the proper windshield height, everyone has their own idea although it's ideal (not mandatory) to be able to look over the top of the winshield but this usually means more air hitting your helmet.

Last edited:
I have a Madstad windshield and use a Scorpion EXO 900 modular helmet and have no wind or noise problems at all. The Madstad came with two extra shield for around the front signal lamps as well. I spoke to the Madstad engineer before buying and he said it was one of the hardest bike to cure of turbulence for them and that was why they added the signal deflectors. Hope this helps, good luck!

Jim, have you tried removing the windshield altogether, as a baseline experiment?

Personally I've never ridden a bike in my life with a windshield that didn't produce wind noise/turbulence, unless I was doing a full on racer tuck with my helmet completely below the top of the screen. I didn't think the wee little postage stamp screen on the NCX was actually enough to make any difference than not having one, as I don't notice it on or off, but everybody is different. Good luck though!

Back