• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Windshield question: best looking on the NC700X?

After only having the XD about a week and a half, me and a buddy went on a 100 mile round trip to a local moto super center. It was all freeway and we were running just ahead of traffic at 75-80mph. The original little windscreen IMHO is a joke. It was way worse on the way home into a 15mph headwing.
It was by far the most horrible motorcycle ride I have EVER experienced in 50 years of riding. I have always had touring bikes with tons of wind protection.
Today I received my new Puig Touring Windshield 19x16" and took just a very short freeway ride up to 75mph. It was way better but still sort of sucked. At least the god-awful head shaking turbulence was gone. I will be making myself some 2 or 2 1/2" aluminum extensions to raise it higher. We'll see how that pans out.
BTW....I got 65.125mpg on that spirited freeway run. Impressive.

regards
Bernd

"$30 - HondabikePro nut plates (DO NOT attempt without this item)"

StratTuner, I'll second that. Anybody fitting any screen with increased surface area needs to replace the OE rubber well-nuts to stop them popping out and Dale's nut plates are by far the best option. Mine even got delivered over to England in just 7 days - not bad for 7 bucks-worth of 'snail-mail'.

I made myself a couple of 3/4" square nuts out of 1/4" aluminum stock, drilled and tapped for nice SS bolts. Super secure. Since all the pulling force is on the bottom 2 bolts only, I just made those 2.
The 2 top ones are being pushed in, not out.

Not sure what brand of aftermarket screen came on the bike. Bottom edge barely clears the turn signals, comes up to mid chin heigth, has a cooling cutout for the LCD panel. Works great. Is about 3" too tall and does move about on the rubber washers at 75 mph.

Not sure what brand of aftermarket screen came on the bike. Bottom edge barely clears the turn signals, comes up to mid chin heigth, has a cooling cutout for the LCD panel. Works great. Is about 3" too tall and does move about on the rubber washers at 75 mph.

Sounds like a Cal Sci -- Honda NC700X NC700S Windshields

NC700a.jpg

Careful with the rubber washers/well nuts (I think that's what you're talking about). Most of us are using 'nut plates' to securely hold larger screens on, probably just a matter of time before that CalSci takes flight with the stock well nuts.

Dale sells them for ~ $25 - http://nc700-forum.com/forum/south-bound-honda/5694-hondabikepro-products.html

trey

Last edited:
IMG_0785A.jpg

Honda Touring screen with Puig attachment. Not pretty but works for me and it's adjustable.

Personally I believe the original Tour shield from Honda looks the best but probably not works the best.
I have it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The hand-made windscreen I did for myself is hinged so that the windscreen gives way to the handlebars and hand guards. The hinged pieces are held in place by the force of on-coming wind at 70 mph. My windshield gets wider by the hand guards and compliments the guards to keep the wind off. It's a good solution, and if anone wants the "pattern", I can send it.

Wow!!! Looks like you are trying to make a "Fairing" for the bike.

If I want that much "Wind Projection", I'll jump onto my ST1300... :)

ST1300_1.JPG

That looks like the one. I'll fix the nut plates when I cut it shorter next week. Also gonna trim it a tad higher over the turn signals to eliminate the orange glow around the edges at night.

Be really careful. Quite a few of us have had the CalSci crack from normal use, mine included. OCR went through 3 or 4 returning them for partial credit before he gave up and went to the National Cycle screen. There's something about the acrylic they use that's particularly crack-happy. Don't want your saw getting caught for a split second and ruining your screen.

Good luck!

trey

The specs say 3/16" plastic, mine is 1/4". Thinking now about using it as a pattern and cutting one out of 1/8" lexan. The factory "laser" cut Cal-Sci edges look like they were cut with a dull router bit. That might be the cause of fractures.

I painted the inside of mine with black krylon spray paint. Leaving the front shiny.
I like it.

Back