• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

wish all bikes had honda style indicators switch

bs

"most of us"? Puhlease. :rolleyes: The only flaw here, is where and how you determine your "facts" before making outrageous claims like it's a forgone conclusion of fact, lol.

Whatever.

so you admit you're notorious honker...

One of my first mods is to add a louder horn. I use it to alert cagers that might pull out or turn in front of me. I've have about 3500 miles on my NC and I'm constantly honking when I want to turn and signaling when I want to honk.

Yeeeeeuuuuck! The new version of horn and turn signal buttons upside down placement is hideous! :p

I never have to "emergency" use my turn signals, so it matters not a bit if my thumb has to move a tiny fraction more, but when I do use the horn, it's for a pretty darned good reason, and now having to go up and over the turn signal button, instead of a quick straight right stab, completely sucks!

Out of curiousity wildone, how old are you and how many years riding? My muscle memory for normal horn and turn sig buttons has been burned into my brain for nearly 40 years, and I'll go to my grave hating that they changed this.

I still am, one of these days, going to remove the offending NCX left pod, and swap in a normal one from some other bike. I just have to find one I like and that matches close enough for me to not care about slight left/right pod visible mismatches.

Yep!
Damn Straight!
Me too!

And to think the reason why it is not now a universal standard (like in cars) is only the arrogance of the manufacturers thinking they are "right" and everyone else is " wrong".

Imagine if one of them carries that thinking to the extreme and switches the brake and clutch levers. It would be lawsuits. Hey......what a great idea........... Heh!

Last edited:
My 2009 BMW G650gs horn/signal configuration was the same as my Honda NC700x, which is exactly opposite of my 2007 Suzuki C50 Boulevard. Each time I get on either bike, I make a mental note where the horn/signal switches are on each bike-it helps when needed.

After a year I still hate the switchgear. I am one who can evade or brake while honking, but ALL THREE TIMES I needed the horn so far I have cancelled my blinkers.

I prefer the horn button as the lowest on the cluster. Since I never use manual mode on my DCT I'm thinking of switching the horn and downshift button.

Hazard is in a different place.

Silly really. All the manufacturers should make things the same - without some government saying they can't import unless "such and such".

Arrogant bastages.

Hazard is in a different place.

Silly really. All the manufacturers should make things the same - without some government saying they can't import unless "such and such".

Arrogant bastages.

yeah, tell this to UK guys where they have steering wheel in wrong place and they ride on wrong side of the road :p

Looks like this thread hasn't been used in a while, and I'm new to the forum, but I found this on google and thought I'd post my recent experiences on this topic. Hope that's ok.
Been riding a 2014 NC700x for about a year now, and always thought the blinker/horn arraingement was awkwardly placed. I think it's great for blinkers, but not so great for the horn in an emergency. About a month ago, I was passing a scooter, who without making a head check thought it would be a great idea to take my place in my lane. When I realized what was happening, I tried honking to alert her, but found after canceling the blinker, I was fumbling over the signal switch to find the horn, but quickly had to readjust my grip to pull back on the clutch and break, and swerve to avoid a collision with the scooter, which I did. Long story short, I ended up on the sidewalk with a shattered collar bone, broken shoulder blade, and a scratched up bike that is now a total loss. The scooter continued on, and didn't stop. Still haven't found the scooter driver, and I have a plate and 8 screws in my collarbone now.
I can't help but wonder if things would be different if I was able to honk. In that short moment of the accident, fumbling with the signal lights trying to find the horn, and break, swerve, etc... Well it just made the whole thing more complicated. The point is that in that short time, with everything happening so quickly, my chance to honk was taken by the signal light switch.

Welcome to the forum g_gomm! Sorry to hear about your bike...and your bones. I've had the bike for two years and still am not used to the placement. Yesterday I had a car pull out in front of me and I didn't have room to stop. I swerved as far left as I could without going into oncoming traffic, all the while searching for the horn. When I finally got a quick beep out, he turned my way and nose dived with just enough room for me to squeak past. Another millisecond and things could have gone from scary to medical. Honestly it would be like Honda moving the horn in their cars to over by the left air vent. Hey while we're at it, the majority of the world is right-handed. Let's swap the wiper and turn signal switches in our cars since you need the turn signal more than the wipers.

Wow that is a horror story to be sure. The absolute worst thing that can happen is that you hit the wrong control when you need it in an emergency. Life lesson: when buying a new bike (or car or lawnmover or any kind of power equipment), practice using the emergency controls until it is muscle memory. I am so sorry you had that experience!

In the lower mainland of BC (where I live) we are plagued with scooter riders who aren't licenced (but should be) doing crazy things on the road (and sidewalks!). I keep as wide a berth as possible.

The switch arrangement on the Honda nc700x is the same as the 2009 BMW G650gs (I have owned the bmw g650gs and currently the Honda NC700x) so Honda wasn't the first with this arrangement. I usually ride with my thumb on the horn button while in traffic or in town, that or I mentally touch the horn button location multiple times when I get on my bikes to reinforce the button location; I have 3 different bikes with 3 different switch arrangements (made that way from their factories-nothing I did)-the Honda NC700x , the Suzuki C50 (standard configuration most of us refer to) and a KLX 250sf (while though the same config as the C50, the buttons are very much smaller and harder to find).

Ack, g_gomm sorry to hear of your misfortune! :eek: That's gotta suck, mate :(

Contrary to the rather bizarre conjectured viewpoint wildone took on my usage of a horn, I'm probably one of the least using horn honkers ever to operate a motor vehicle. My first and primary concern is to always: 1) default- do my level best to avoid a situation in the first place, 2) slow down/speed up/change position or brake as required to suit the situation, 3) give a warning beep if option 2 isn't needed to keep me from crashing.

I never honk after the fact, and I have no idea what a "notorious honker" is... (lol)

If given the choice between emergency honking and emergency braking/avoidance, I'll take the braking and/or avoidance every time! The horn as far as my usage goes, is reserved for that alignment of planet occasions where I know can quickly stab the horn to hopefully prevent me from needing to do anything emergency-wise in the first place, if I am caught out from option 1. I never ever rely on it, or think to use it instead.

I'm really happy for the others who have learned to adapt or just like the new placement of the horn button, I really am. If personages want to believe I am lacking in capabilities because they can, or like it, I am still happy for them. Me, I do not like it and never will.

Wow that is a horror story to be sure. The absolute worst thing that can happen is that you hit the wrong control when you need it in an emergency. Life lesson: when buying a new bike (or car or lawnmover or any kind of power equipment), practice using the emergency controls until it is muscle memory. I am so sorry you had that experience!..

Sound advice... if you only have 1 bike. I have two, (both Hondas!) with different arrangements, so it's impossible to use muscle memory to hit the horn, I dred the day that I'll really need it.

My riding buddy has a Honda CBX500 and his set up is just like my NCs. I ride a Honda cruiser and it is just the opposite. So I do a lot of honking on the NC while looking for the indicator button. I went to an air horn on my cruiser and that NC horn is about as effective as an old bulb horn on a bicycle.

The horn is placed correctly because the horn is not a safety device. Why should you adjust your grip to use indicators, which you use literally all the time? If g_g had just braked when the scooter came there wouldn't have been an issue. The only time I can see it is when the guy in front of you at a light backs up from being too far in the intersection when the light goes red & doesn't put it back in drive. Maybe in a parking lot now & then.

I test the horn every time I go out, but that's basically the only time I use it.

Yup. It works both ways. Just this evening I went to cancel the Goldwing's turn signal and blew the horn instead. Being startled myself by the horn honk, I started pushing buttons and blew the horn again. People around me probably thought I was a jerk.

Again, I blinked at someone.
I only have the one bike now so I guess I should honk it a lot till I learn where it is. Just not sure I will ever learn it.
And while I seldom use the horn I do consider it a safety item. Reaching for a turn signal even if used all the time, is better than stabbing quickly at a horn and finding, instead, said turn signal.:mad:

Back