• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Yep, the ABS works. Stay sharp out there.

buckshot

Reaction score
Visit site
It was a nice day yesterday, so I dug the S out of hibernation to go for a quick run up Foley Mountain. It's been about a month since I've been out on the bike, so as I was running down the road I live on I damn near missed the intersection where it T's off with a more major road. The T happens just after a blind 45 to the right. I was just too caught up in being out on the bike again I forgot where I was going. Halfway through the 45 I realized where I was and that I had to stop in 30 feet, I was probably doing around 65mph.
Hard on the brakes, clutch in, could not keep it in my lane. Ended up stopped in the gravel right where the oncoming lane meets the other road. No other traffic on the road, thank God. Took a few seconds to process what just happened, get into 1st from 6th, and got back under way just as a cop drove by. The rest of the ride was just great. On the way back home I noticed a definite skid mark on the road, but no flat spots on my tires. Stay sharp out there guys.

Was this not a situation where you could have just kept going then turn around and come back?

Well I'm glad everything worked out well, but I think you created an unnecessary panic situation on your own by way of poor decision making. If you had traffic right behind you it may have been disaster. Having made a decision to simply go on straight and rectify the error in a safer way, such as turning on a side street up the road and making a controlled u-turn, would have been far better.

Greg

If I just went straight I would have gone way off the road. When I say it was a T intersection I was traveling on the "vertical" part of the T, not the horizontal. There was no more road to go straight on.

Maybe I described it wrong, but this is what the roads looked like.

paint.jpg

The arrow was my direction of travel, the red dot where I came to a stop.

Last edited:
Sounds like you got caught up in the moment.
I wish I could say I always maintained my focus, but having ADD and beautiful nature around me, sometimes I lose focus too.
That being said, you might want to consider making the braking and downshifting a coincident habit. Granted, that short of a stop, you might not make it all the way down to 1, but you'd be a lot closer and if need be, the engine breaking can really help in a short stop sometimes.
Now, go clean your undies and get back out there.

I agree with CorEnFa. In a car you can daydream and get away with it....On a bike? You get killed.

Sounds like you got caught up in the moment.
I wish I could say I always maintained my focus, but having ADD and beautiful nature around me, sometimes I lose focus too.
That being said, you might want to consider making the braking and downshifting a coincident habit. Granted, that short of a stop, you might not make it all the way down to 1, but you'd be a lot closer and if need be, the engine breaking can really help in a short stop sometimes.
Now, go clean your undies and get back out there.

Back