• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

19" front wheel ??.

Nortwestrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I like my NC and it works for about 60% of what I want to do.I ride a lot of off-road and the 17"front wheel is not working for me.I put a 19" on the stock forks ( no brakes ) and put it against my garage and pushed down.It hit the cylinder head and radiator .So if I get a set of forks that are 2-3+ inches longer that should work correct ??.I can raise the rear to match if need be.

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

That will be as tall as a dirt bike but hell for heavy. The 17" > 19" adds one inch plus whatever the fork extension is.

I extended my forks by 2 inches and didn't like the tip-toe feeling even with the 17" wheel and I am 6'-2" tall.

BTW, I thought you were giving up on the NC.

I had an 07' wee strom and I spent a ton of money trying to make that bike into something it's not. It's a 70/30 bike at best even after the thousands of dollars I spent on wheels, tires, suspension, blah blah blah. After years of trying to man handle that bike off pavement, going through two skid plates, two sets of crash bars and still riding the edge of beating that bike to death, I accepted reality. The bike is fine for an occasional ride down a FSR but anything above that, it's just not a good bike for that kind of riding. I sold it and got a bike that is actually designed for that type of riding I do and got a second bike for my pavement days.

So it's my opinion, save your money, don't attempt to make the NC into a bike it is not capable to become. A larger front wheel won't net you what you're looking for, just get a different bike.

[...So it's my opinion, save your money, don't attempt to make the NC into a bike it is not capable to become. A larger front wheel won't net you what you're looking for, just get a different bike...]

Very sound advice! If you do go down this path, realize that you'll never remake the NC into a KTM or Husqvarna enduro bike. :)

Last edited:
[...So it's my opinion, save your money, don't attempt to make the NC into a bike it is not capable to become. A larger front wheel won't net you what you're looking for, just get a different bike...]

Very sound advice!

I solved the front wheel problem. I bought an Africa Twin DCT !

The funny thing is, when I had the wee (which has a 19" front wheel), I was about to pull the trigger on big money getting a custom 21" spoke wheel made. The same sentiment was made to me, "dude, just get a different bike. You're pissing money away."

That is a lot of work and mods, ingeneering, troubles,ca$h...I also would like to have a 19 inches front wheel but...
Anyway good luck and keep us updated !

It's just a thought,the main reason I wanted to get rid of the NC was its lack of off-road ability.My plan is to probably get a S10,I like the AT but don't like the tubed wheels.I'm always thinking and tinkering and converting the NC was just a thought.Also my wife likes the thought of keeping a bike that's payed off instead of starting over !!hehe.

Last edited:
I still follow the Rally Raid CB500X conversion thread (my previous bike), they have a customer who had his spoked wheels successfully converted to tubeless (they seal off the existing rim somehow) just to add to the list of options.

Mentioned here (about half way down the page): CB500X Rally Raid ready to roll | Adventure Motorcycling Handbook

This should be the manufacturer's website:

Bartubeless

OUTEX Tubeless kit for spoke rims works to turn a spoked rim to a tubless. Reasonable price! You can also purchase spoked tubless rims.

But, for out and out dirt riding tube type tires works better than tubeless. However, my personal perferance for old folks adventure riding is the tubless tires. Adventure riding is a lot more on paved road riding. Because of the friction cased by tube type tires, tube tires run a little hotter on the road. So, tubeless tires get a lot better wear and mileage on pavement.

Last edited:
Keep the NCX and use it for what is does best, then get a DR650. Add a 790 BB if you need the extra umph. That has been my plan for a while.

I sold a CRF250L for the NC as I wanted a DCT. The CRF has a very peppy motor and can run to 70+ MPH quite easily. Put a set of dual sport tires on that and you would way ahead of the game money wise and set to go anywhere.

Considering the cost of an AT to the cost of the NC. If there was a kit for the NC like there is for the CBX you would still be several thousand cheaper. But since there isn't. It would take some effort to have a set of triples machined. But once that is done finding the rest of a front end would be pretty easy. Rally Raid did this as well as having rear and front hubs machined. It still would not be an AT. It would just be a bike that gets 70 mpg, is dirt capable and has a frunk. And leaves about $4000 dollars in your wallet.

Improvise, adapt and overcome. Nothing worth having comes easy.

Rally Raid has said that they have a shock and fork internals almost ready for the NC and they also said they a few " other bits " coming.

Rally Raid has said that they have a shock and fork internals almost ready for the NC and they also said they a few " other bits " coming.

It didn't sound to me that they were going to offer anything that you couldn't buy now somewhere else. If it is cheaper or much better in some way. Nothing new to see there. It won't get you more travel or allow a 19" front wheel to be mounted.

The RR fork appliance for the 500x might work on our bike. Lots of similarities.
It doesn't, been addressed on other forums. The 500 looks like the 700 but has some major differences; I think the rotors and calibers are mounted on different side of the wheels (I think). RR has stated in some other press releases it will not work with the 700.

Back