• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

1st Year thoughts

FlaNC700X

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Everyone,
One year ago I walked into a South Florida Honda dealer and bought one of the first NC700x's in SFLA. Here are some of the things I did to the bike and some thoughts. I bought a large screen from CalSci. While it did provide good wind resistance alignment of mirrors and wind screen were critical. I often removed it for more air during short runs around town. For trips I would put the Calsci back on. The last time the alignment was off. It resulted in me almost dropping NC in a parking lot as I was turning the front brake engaged thanks to the screen. Result I drove my fist through the screen and cracked it. So back to the original. I bought a skidmarx hugger it was glossy so I painted it to make it match the rest of the bike. I added the Honda rack system without the bags. I purchased Tourmaster softbags. I installed a 12 v outlet on my handlebars and mounted a ram mount for my phone. I tried a temperature meter between the screen and instruments but it buzzed to much from vibration. I installed Street FX brake flashers which worked great till the bike was running. So I just use them for more light knowing they are not flashing even after I tried everything. I have the black levers of ebay with red knobs. I install Vista Cruise control. I think I have about 6500 miles on her so I have not changed any tires yet. And of course Fenda Extenda

I love this bike, probably will never get rid of her. Some items I'm thinking of buying. John's backrest from England, Madstad wind screen. Hard Bags but not needed right now.Maybe a better seat or I need to do the seat mod to keep from sliding forward.

Even after a year I still hit the redline limiter from time to time. Too bad we can't dial that up a bit. I am in the Patriot Guard with Harleys all the time. I usually end up at the back, go figure? This was a July 4th Parade in Margate you can find my NC flying the biggest flag!

margate parade.jpg

Last edited:
I thank you for your service and being in the Patriot Guard. The Patriot Guard acts are really appreciated by everyone.

Sounds like you've got what it takes!

We think alike. One year ago tomorrow I purchased my NC and I am sitting here thinking about posting a one year writeup. I have 17,045 miles on it now and love the bike. I keep pretty good records (hush up Dinkie) and have ridden the 700 about 8000 miles in 2013 and my ST1300 about 5000. I have owned the ST 7 years every year rode it 2 or 3 times as far compared to my second bike but that is not the case so far. I have made three trips to the mountains in the year of NC ownership and all on the NC - 16 days total touring on the NC and none on the ST. It's been to 7 states with many days over 400 miles, some 500+ mile days, and one 1000+ mile day. For comfort mods I changed the windshield, added heated grips and hand guards, and raised the front of the stock seat about 5/8". The seating position is very comfortable and riding out a tank of gas or 2 - 3 hours in the saddle are no problem. I started out with just a 46 liter Givi topbox and later added pannier racks and 36 liter panniers. Wind protection with a half-faired bike is adequate to tour and wind blast and buffeting are no problem to triple digit speeds. There is no vibration to speak of in the grips, seat, mirrors, or pegs. It handles so nimble and sweet and is a blast in the twisties. I have no regrets at all about buying this bike. It's fun to ride and has been very economical to purchase and maintain. It is hard to categorize (utility bike, commuter, Saturday sport ride, light tourer, grocery getter) as it has done everything well I have asked of it. 1 year ago I did not expect to have a lightweight touring bike in it and it has done that well. It does hard pack and gravel roads well and as long as my adventure riding is not too adventurous it does that just fine. The locking storage compartment is fantastic and I miss it on the ST. At 472 lbs it is 250 lbs lighter than the ST1300 and the center of mass is low concentrated and so it feels even lighter.

So far there have been no warranty or maintenance issues. I did have to replace the original chain at what I considered a too-early 8000 miles but that was my fault as I over-cleaned the chain at every opportunity. At 8000 miles I was too cheap to replace the sprockets with the new cheap chain I bought even though I was told to and paid the price by having to buy another chain and the sprockets last week at 16,900 miles. I bit the bullet and bought a good quality DID chain this time and new OEM sprockets so I hope I learned this lesson. I've done two 8,000 mile valve checks - a breeze with no plastic to remove and screw and locknut adjusters to check.

Of course the fuel mileage has been very good - we all know that. The low was 45 mpg riding 155 miles into a stiff headwind at 80-85 steady mph. The high has been 94.5 mpg and I have been averaging about 68 on Fuelly. Carrying all my gear on a 8 day camping trip to WV I think I averaged 68 mpg over 2,400 miles with 2 interstate days of 70-85 mph included. The tank range is 175 to 250 miles depending. One day on the last trip I compared notes with a WeeStrom owner that was proud of the highest-ever 62 mpg he achieved on the BRP and "I get low 50s all the time". I did 78 on the same 90 mile section from Buchanan, VA to Willville MC Camp riding the same pace. Its hard to describe sometimes to people that is doesn't seem to matter how hard you twist the throttle it always returns good mileage. If you keep it between 40 and 70 you get 60 to 70 mpg. Ride it over 70 and you get 60s. Ride it over 80 and you get 50s. Go faster or throw in a headwind and you get 40s. Thrash it in the mountains and it still gets over 70 mpg like when I rode with a bunch of STs at the last Blue Ridge Gathering. I can see keeping this bike a long time.

Day 1:

Day 338:

I really liked your 1 year write-up on your bike.
But with a GPS and a great map holder, how is a fellow to get lost for a great adventure?

Kind of hard to beat that one Dave!!!!! I will say that I will keep this one until it dies.
My NC replaced my GL1200 and a TW200. I hope Honda keeps it long enough for my two boys to understand why I like it so much.

I have had my NCX for just over a year also, this bike still puts a smile on my face everytime I ride it.I have just rolled over 20,000 kms with no mechanical issues.I don't use my bike for commuting as I park my work truck at home.Most have my riding has been daytrips ,overnighters with a few multi day trips.My average riding day is around 700 kms more or less.I find the bike comfortable riding these distances.I would classify the bike as a sport tourer be it a smaller one,i am quite comfortable travelling were ever I want to on this bike.I do find the wind a bit choppy on the freeway but I still have the factory windshield.I also find my NC handles fine with a passenger,even better after I changed to a Shad seat.The Nc is also a great bike in the city with it's low center of gravity it is quite easy to handle.
After a year I am still very happy with my purchase I have added some led lights,engine guards,and a new seat.I also have the factory side cases,all these have improved the bike for me.I'm still trying to decide on a windshield and may go with a Madstad next spring.I'm looking forward to some more rides on my Nc over the summer.
IMAG1024.jpg

Having been a dealer, I can tell you that the TW200 is a great all round bike. I know those wheel sizes look weird, but they sure do work great. People seldom trade the TW200 in of trade.

Another NC700 owner with great riding roads. This bike just attracts real riders. Don't see many medium size bikes getting this kind of mileage. A real road adventure bike with only 700cc!

Having been a dealer, I can tell you that the TW200 is a great all round bike. I know those wheel sizes look weird, but they sure do work great. People seldom trade the TW200 in of trade.
I gave my TW to my son, then my youngest will get it. It also has a home for life.

I can't really say that I have many complaints about my NC. I did my research, took the time to see things through with it, got a great deal on it and bought it at the right time. 400 miles later, I am still happy with it. Glad to see others on here have kept with it, despite the criticism it's received. I know a group of Harley riders at work have started calling me "scooter" because I bought it, but it doesn't bother me. I still ride my modified CB750 occasionally for those days I long for the power trip.

I can't really say that I have many complaints about my NC. I did my research, took the time to see things through with it, got a great deal on it and bought it at the right time. 400 miles later, I am still happy with it. Glad to see others on here have kept with it, despite the criticism it's received. I know a group of Harley riders at work have started calling me "scooter" because I bought it, but it doesn't bother me. I still ride my modified CB750 occasionally for those days I long for the power trip.

Take them to a curvy road and show them your scooters tail lights. I had a Harley rider want to go with me on a ride one time. When I told him that I wanted to be in second position, he asked why? I told him it was because I had very little control when I hit the tight curves and tend to hit them a little hard.
He said NO problem, you lead. I was enjoying the scenery on a straight stretch when he blew pass me at 100+ mph on my right side. That pissed me off!
I found out his skill level very fast at that point. When the first set of curves appeared, he was halfway in the wrong lane and couldn't even stay close. After that lesson, I backed off and we had a good ride.

I had another HD rider tell me his built up $50,000 Harley was faster than my NC. I told him "Until we hit a curve, then you won't see me again."
He was giving me some flak one day. I then asked him. "How warm does it have to be before a HD will start?" That stopped him cold since I ride year around.
After that the HD riders don't give me any slack.

One of those said HD riders my first year at where I work decided to give me hell about my CB750 one cold morning coming off a 12 hour shift. The temperature plummeted down to 34 degrees and it was 5:30 am in the morning. My CB750 was bone stock, and I just got it. I was running 10w40 in it, and it gave me a real hard time starting. I look over and this fully dressed harley hog bike starts right up and the guy says to me "If you had a harley you wouldn't have that problem". Shortly after he raps on the throttle a few times, and then spins a bearing inside his case. He freaks out, shuts the bike off. I look over at him as I get my bike running, and say to him "That might be true, but I am pretty sure my honda doesn't have THAT problem"...

:)

I have a little over 4K on mine now and I like this bike a lot. Rode some dirt/gravel roads the other day bike did pretty good with the stock tires. Also got a new best MPG 83.5

Cool Thread.

This Bike was a difficult choice for me. I've been riding Honda's my entire life (42yo) and for the last 20years I've praying for Honda to release the Africa Twin to the U.S.. Anything, anything that could compete, at least a little on some level with the BMWs. The NC7X is the closest thus far... well, the potential of the NC7X is the closest thus far. The potential I saw in it is what I based my purchase on - not on the stock bike. Little by little it's evolving into what I wanted and I don't regret the purchase at all.

Last edited:
Back