• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2014 NC700XD Ca-chunk, ca-chunk sound when the ignition is turned to "on" not start.

Old Rider

Reaction score
Visit site
On a ride today. Started and stopped the bike several times. Pulled up to a stop sign and the engine died. Now when I place the ignition switch in the on position (not start) it makes a ca-chunk, ca-chunk..... sound and will not start. Got it towed home and checked the battery and it is OK. The sound comes from somewhere in the engine area but I can't isolate it. I pulled the start relay and there was no change. I would appreciate any suggestions

That's kinda how these new batteries go. One minute starts fine, the next stop dead meat. Cant tell you how many times I've heard this story. You didnt say how old your battery was, if original you did great. I have taken to replacing batteries with new OE batteries every 4th birthday out of an abundance of caution.

I’m not understanding the phrase “Now when I place the ignition switch in the on position (not start) it makes a ca-chunk, ca-chunk..... sound and will not start.” Are you saying when you simply turn the key from Off to On the noises begin? Or when you press the start button with the key On it makes the noises?

Do you have a manual transmission or an automatic DCT?

I’m not understanding the phrase “Now when I place the ignition switch in the on position (not start) it makes a ca-chunk, ca-chunk..... sound and will not start.” Are you saying when you simply turn the key from Off to On the noises begin? Or when you press the start button with the key On it makes the noises?
Exactly. Going from on to start makes no difference. That's why I have eliminated the battery. In the on position, I don't what would be making that noise. I have hooked a battery charger to the battery and tried it also. No difference. Tomorrow I think I will try disconnecting the starter and see if the noise goes away. Thanks for you reply

Exactly. Going from on to start makes no difference. That's why I have eliminated the battery. In the on position, I don't what would be making that noise. I have hooked a battery charger to the battery and tried it also. No difference. Tomorrow I think I will try disconnecting the starter and see if the noise goes away. Thanks for you reply
Acutaly I don't even push the start button and the noise happens.

The thread title shows it's a DCT.
You're right. I missed that. So as others have suggested, maybe those familiar with DCT might know if the sound described might be that of the transmission trying to get back into neutral. If so, maybe rocking the rear wheel back and forth might allow the shifter to eventually engage neutral.

The remaining question then would be why did the engine die.

Before I shut off my DCT bike, I shift to neutral. I don't know if it means much, but it seems to avoid issues with the bike trying to find neutral.

For what it’s worth. I have a DCT. I have shut the bike off in gear and never had any odd noises or problems on restart.
When I bought the bike the dealer did make a point to tell me to shift into neutral before shutting the bike off.

Sounds like the shift motor is trying to shift it into Neutral.
Is the shifter motor an expensive part? Is it hard to change out? I am starting to see a real trend here. I know, I know, a bunch of riders with low mileage DCT's will chime in with "but mine is working fine!".
How many miles on, and what year is the OP's bike?

I have a manual, and as far as I know the only thing that "runs" when switched "on" but not "start" is the fuel pump to pressurize the lines. You get a buzz/whine under the seat area. Could be clunking if the pump has shattered, though this seems unlikely.
DCT may have some other stuff going on. I've heard that getting the bike stuck in gear while off can be problematic, and rocking the bike fore and aft while trying to get it into neutral may help (unload the gear train). Ultimately, the DCT is a computer operated manual transmission, and I know if I'm trying to shift the bike while the engine isn't running, rocking helps. It lines up the dogs on the collars and gears.
Otherwise, I've heard of broken pins and fried motors in the shift mechanism, too. Hopefully it's not that, sounds expensive.

After reading suggestions that I look at transmission issues instead of starter problems, I looked at the display and saw that the transmission gear indicator read "2". So it was stuck in 2nd gear and that is why it wouldn't start. I actually read the owner's manual and on page 100 it gave several things to try. One of them was to turn it on and rock the bike back and forth as someone suggested in this post. There was a clunk when I did this and the issue cleared up. One of the other suggestions in the manual was that You apply the brake when trying to start. I wasn't able to test this but it is something to keep in mind. It would have saved me a tow charge. Thanks to everyone who responded to my post. It is good to have backup.

Glad you cleared it up. It's always good to get familiar with the owner's manual.

There is still the question of why the engine died when it did. Let's hope that was a one time thing.

Back