• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I ran a couple of sets of the Conti Motion pros. I liked them but my issue was both rear tires starting cupping at 1000 miles (or less); and yes, I check my air pressure all the time. No such cupping with the Kenda, hope the Raven doesn't have a cupping issue. I got approx. 9000 miles on the rear of the conti motion pro but the cupping just drove me nuts as I could not determine the cause. First set, I just called it a fluke, but when the second rear tire cupped; nope, nada; those tires and my bike not compatible... It will be a while before I switch the front from a Kenda to a Shinko Raven. It has more miles about 9000 miles on it but still has plenty of thread...

I looked at my Michelin Pilot Road 4s, which have about 6000 miles on them. They were not at the tread indicators, but close, so i decided to replace the rear one.
I went to my tire guy and discovered the road 4 is no long made in 160/60, 17. I could get the 2 or the 5. The 5 looks quite different - the grooves are shorter and look wider. I ordered one, we'll see.

I have the same tire on my drz 400, though i think when they are gone I will get a more off road type tire for it, since i use it more for back road exploring.

I also rode my NC to the insurance agent to ask how much insurance would be for a Gold Wing.

State Farm did not have the 2018 Gold Wing in the system, and i didn't have the VIN, since all i have done is test ride it. Strongly tempted!

The agent just looked for a high end 2017 and estimated about 450 a year. I have a clean record since about 2000, and no speeding tickets since about 1983. Testosterone levels have dropped quite a bit since 1983! My motorcycle record is completely clean.

When I got home I decided it was time to replace the shield and pin lock on my Shoei Neotec. Wow! I guess you get used to the little nicks and stuff and don't realize how worn it is. Also the old pinlock had given up the ghost.

My helmet itself is about 3 years old and seems fine. I have been down on gravel and off road a few times, but never any hard impacts or street crashes. But i see that there is an integral comm system for the new Neotec 2, which is interesting.

Last edited:
The only thing that might screw it up for the new Wing is that they've gone to a ratchet strap, the holder on the new Wing is designed to go through the D ring. I'm going to make a run to CycleGear and see if there's any way to adapt the holder to work with the ratchet.

Thanks, Grey. I had not thought of that.

I may ride to the nearest cycle gear Thursday and try it on. That is Tulsa, the store is about 90 miles.

I am unimpressed with the holder on the Wing.
If I get a Wing I will have the rear rack put on. That might work better as a place for helmets.

Last edited:
Another GLORIOUS commute. Sunshine in the Pacific Northwest makes everything look better and raises the human spirit.
>T

Another GLORIOUS commute. Sunshine in the Pacific Northwest makes everything look better and raises the human spirit.
>T

Mine was a cloudy 50 degrees this morning(which was still nice), but has since warmed up to 70 and the sun is out. The trip home may take longer than expected! :D

Rode to Tulsa and back on Route 66, basically to see a high end nursing home there.
Much colder than I expected. I did have warm gloves and heated grips.

Last edited:
Nice brisk ride in today, but this afternoon is going to be too nice to have not ridden in. Also, got to see how the new phone mount works out. First real test. Happy so far, it's stable, but still needs some angle adjustments. I have the following now:
Hondogarage Perfect Squeeze Mount
Ram Mounts Short Arm (1" ball)
Ram Mounts Diamond Base (1" Ball)
Ram Mounts Tough-Claw (1" Ball)

Looks good.Im surprised there are no ventilation holes.I’ll be tempted to put a few.

The SW Motech is Swiss Cheesed extensively but is a $100 more.

I took the little girl out for PIE/Ice Cream. It was a nice 99 mile trip, beautiful 82f, sunny and warm! I only used 1.15 gals which netted me a personal best of 86MPG!
NC700x with Harrison trading post 86mpg.jpg

Hey, when i got home from work yesterday a had a couple of packages waiting for me. Cool new goodies for the bike, or Farkels as they're called here i'm told. I received a new handle bar mounted cell phone holder and BB guards that i ordered earlier!! So, cell phone holder is on and holds tight! I like it so far. Now to get a bluetooth unit for my helmet...maybe. Though i am kinda liking the piece and quiet of not taking any calls or text msg while i'm riding, heh heh! Now to work on getting the Hand Guards on. :{)
NC700x with new parts2.jpg

Last edited:
Hey, when i got home from work yesterday a had a coupe of packages waiting for me. Cool mew bike goodies, or Farkels as they're called here im told. A new handle bar mounted cell phone holder and BB guards!! So, cell phone holder is on and holds tight! I like it so far. Now to get a bluetooth unit for my helmet...maybe. Though i am kinda liking the piece and quiet of not taking any calls or text msg while i'm riding, heh heh! :{)
View attachment 36154
I like my SENA20S not for calls but for using my phone for GPS or playing music.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks 1wg...that was my primary focus. Some good road music would really be nice. I've always been happy with piece and quiet, and being alone with my thoughts has never bothered me. Although, on some long rides that i'm hoping to get in this year some occasional "good music" would be greatly appreciated! :{)

Hey, when i got home from work yesterday a had a couple of packages waiting for me. Cool new goodies for the bike, or Farkels as they're called here i'm told. I received a new handle bar mounted cell phone holder and BB guards that i ordered earlier!! So, cell phone holder is on and holds tight! I like it so far. Now to get a bluetooth unit for my helmet...maybe. Though i am kinda liking the piece and quiet of not taking any calls or text msg while i'm riding, heh heh! Now to work on getting the Hand Guards on. :{)

If you're interested in a low cost, high value BT headset then I still use and recommend this unit. Looks like they may have newer models with better range (1000m & 1500m) and able to pair with larger groups (6 and 8) if that's of concern. Do a search on Amazon/Interwebs for FreedConn.

Last edited:
A41A4C8E-3AA9-4EC9-A519-32834BC71FF2.jpg

Rode the Natchez Trace up through Misssissippi today. Tomorrow Arkansas - fabulous state for bikers - Thursday and Friday, Missouri - back to visit my roots. Sweet Home Alabama by Sunday.

PR5 hoops review coming soon...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back