• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2018: What did you do to/with your NC700 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since the bike is 5 years old, don’t forget the brake fluid. I only mention it as a reminder because some people overkill engine oil changes, and totally forget or ignore the brake fluid.

I just replaced the brake fluid and hydraulic clutch fluid in my 2012 ST1300 this spring. The fluid in sight-glass looked clear, but what came out of the bleeder valve on the brake calipers was nasty urine yellow.
It is interesting that the brake fluid goes bad like this. I don't have a lot of miles on it and is garage-kept.

I plan to make flushing the brake fluid a regular part of my spring maintenance every 2 years. Even years for the '12 ST1300 and odd years for the '15 NC700X.

JT

Nice ride in today. Only issue was having to stay back extra far from the cagers this morning to avoid being misted from the still-wet pavement in places.

I rode in today, but not on the Honda-gotta put the new shoe of front end this evening. Rode the old trusty C50 Boulevard-will roll over 86,000 miles on the old girl on the way home this afternoon.

Started gathering supplies today for an over-nighter camping tour. Leaving Monday. This will be a first for me, and by far the farthest/longest trip on the NC so far. I'm excited. I'll post a new thread to let you all know how it goes.

image.jpg

Started gathering supplies today for an over-nighter camping tour. Leaving Monday. This will be a first for me, and by far the farthest/longest trip on the NC so far. I'm excited. I'll post a new thread to let you all know how it goes.

View attachment 36231

Seems like a reasonable amount of gear. Most people tend to over pack.

Installed front wheel with new Shinko Raven on front (now have matching set) and took her for a 10 mile ride last night to help scrub new tire in and test those ebay pegs. I actually measured those ebay pegs-they are a 1/4 inch wider, and 1/4 inch taller (same length) than the stock pegs; they are a good buy if you want stock pegs for $10; with the matching pair of Shinko tires-wow, nice handling tires-just have to see if they get close to the same mileage as the motion pros. They seem to be stickier than the motion pros, about same price as motion pros, but they got thread down the middle with wear bars, so no surprise cord showing due to no threads...I like em...

I just bought a book on riding skill; Jim Fords’ The Art of Riding Smooth. Good simple advice. The bonus is that he includes a 2000 mile route in the Appalachians. I’ve pulled out my Delorme map books and started tracing the route. I attempted this on Furkot and Google maps and failed. Many of the roads are what he calls “invisible” roads. Small, local paths that follow the contours of the hills and streams. Looks great and much of this is in easy reach of my home. Gotta get healthy.

Also test rode my new cogent suspension. Like it on the street.

Last edited:
Seems like a reasonable amount of gear. Most people tend to over pack.

Agreed. I will have a little more, and there are some things in the side bags in this pic, but if it doesn't fit in the side bags, plus dry bag, it doesn't go. It's only a two day trip any way, and I'll be lunches on the road, with only a dinner, and breakfast in camp.

Now to move on... I changed the oil today. First time for me. Bike had 4300 on it when I bought it, and it's at just under 10K, but it's been almost a year and a half. Right off the bat I found out that one of the Allen heads that hold on the lower cowling is stripped. Not the threads, but the head where the Allen wrench goes. So I found out that I can indeed get the filter off/on with the cowling in place. This is what I used-

image.jpg

I'll address the stripped bolt later, and for those inquiring minds, I used Valvoline 10-40 motorcycle oil, and the Honda filter with new crush washer on plug :D

PapaC...that's the same issue i had with my lower cowl when i changed my oil for the first time... and i had never had a wrench on it before. Mine was stripped out already!! :{)

Took the NC for a 150 mile round trip over to Montana. When i got to the top of the pass there was still a lot of snow(and cold). I attempted to get a picture of the bike and the state sign.... my "stupid" phone was too cold to function and it shut down when i tried to get a picture. That's the second time it has done that to me over there! Oh well, it was a really nice ride though, despite not getting a picture...again! :{)

Last edited:
Rode to work... Got off early.. Rode home... My wife climbed on the back and we spent 4 hours riding up into the mountains and viewpoints around Mt St Helens. Really fun roads around the area. Great way to start the weekend!
>T

Rode to work... Got off early.. Rode home... My wife climbed on the back and we spent 4 hours riding up into the mountains and viewpoints around Mt St Helens. Really fun roads around the area. Great way to start the weekend!
>T
Nice, I need to get down there for a day ride, it's not that far from where I live. Glad the weather's warming up. These old bones of mine don't like the cold :rolleyes:

Agreed. I will have a little more, and there are some things in the side bags in this pic, but if it doesn't fit in the side bags, plus dry bag, it doesn't go. It's only a two day trip any way, and I'll be lunches on the road, with only a dinner, and breakfast in camp.

Now to move on... I changed the oil today. First time for me. Bike had 4300 on it when I bought it, and it's at just under 10K, but it's been almost a year and a half. Right off the bat I found out that one of the Allen heads that hold on the lower cowling is stripped. Not the threads, but the head where the Allen wrench goes. So I found out that I can indeed get the filter off/on with the cowling in place. This is what I used-

View attachment 36235

I'll address the stripped bolt later, and for those inquiring minds, I used Valvoline 10-40 motorcycle oil, and the Honda filter with new crush washer on plug :D

PapaC...that's the same issue i had with my lower cowl when i changed my oil for the first time... and i had never had a wrench on it before. Mine was stripped out already!! :{)

That's funny.
My son got a used 2012 and the same thing is there. Still there as I don't know if he ever fixed the problem.
My 2013 and the other son's 2014 do not have the issue.

That's funny.
My son got a used 2012 and the same thing is there. Still there as I don't know if he ever fixed the problem.
My 2013 and the other son's 2014 do not have the issue.
I have the same stripped head on my 2012 right side.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back