• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2021: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Didnt know there were any roads that nice in Indiana. I ride some over near Lawrenceburg but they are not as nice as I have here at home and in Northern Kentucky.
keep coming west...but then, the really good roads are county roads, off of the highways....the good curvey, elevation changing roads are east of Borden Indiana (mostly in Washington and Clark counties)...in the area northish of Deam Lake State Recreation area and around the Clark State Forest area.....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hBCiuL_iFw
Skip to around the 4:30ish mark and you can see the hills outlined in the distance that I ride....yea, that F-4 Tornado missed my house by about 3 miles (as a crow flies) in 2012...

The 6” of snow that we received on Wednesday melted. Today the temp went up to 14C(57F) so I needed to get out for a sanity ride.
Left my house and rode thru Niagara on the Lake, past The Falls then home. Rode just over 90 minutes. Very pleased with the addition of Oxford Heated Grips and the Kaoko Throttle Lock.
Couldnt get the smile off my face.
This NC750X DCT is a terrific ride.
Cheers all

Pulled my left front panel off yet again to change out my GPS from a Zumo 396 to an XT
Next, I'll replace my single Fiamm Freeway Blaster high tone with a Stebel Nautilus mini air horn.
Why?
The 396 was too small and washed out in bright sun, and the Fiamm sounded too weird.

Last edited:
Both tires changed and everything back together. Going for a test ride in the morning. First time I’ve had the tires off on my own before. Feeling mildly mechanical at the moment.

test ride completed. Everything feels good. The Shinkos are going to take some getting used to though.

Last edited:
Both tires changed and everything back together. Going for a test ride in the morning. First time I’ve had the tires off on my own before. Feeling mildly mechanical at the moment.

test ride completed. Everything feels good. The Shinkos are going to take some getting used to though.
Good luck with the tires. My Shinko Raven front has 18,000 miles on it now and is near end-of-life. It still handles great. The Raven front is my favorite front tire for the NC, and it’s a great value at $65.

Last edited:
Good luck with the tires. My Shinko Raven front has 18,000 miles on it now and is near end-of-life. It still handles great. The Raven front is my favorite front tire for the NC.
Just checked my records on my front Shinko Raven, 16,600 miles on it and then I measured the depth of the center thread which is at 1/8" or 3.1mm which is acceptable to ride on (and no chicken strip on it)....

How long does the Shinko Raven rear last?
My current Shinko Raven rear tire has 7500 miles on it. It is not yet worn out but is squaring off. While I think the Raven rear is going to have a little longer life than other rear tires I have tried, I don’t think the longevity will be as impressive as the front. The rear does meet one of my requirements of having tread at the center line, so I can know how much rubber is actually there.

My front tire has plenty of center tread left at 18,000 miles, but the off center tread is gone. The rear, on the other hand, is wearing the center first. I guess that just illustrates the different roles the two tires have.

The Shinko 009 rear 160/60-17 can be bought for about $90 in the USA.

My current Shinko Raven rear tire has 7500 miles on it. It is not yet worn out but is squaring off. While I think the Raven rear is going to have a little longer life than other rear tires I have tried, I don’t think the longevity will be as impressive as the front. The rear does meet one of my requirements of having tread at the center line, so I can know how much rubber is actually there.

My front tire has plenty of center tread left at 18,000 miles, but the off center tread is gone. The rear, on the other hand, is wearing the center first. I guess that just illustrates the different roles the two tires have.

The Shinko 009 rear 160/60-17 can be bought for about $90 in the USA.
In the interest of objectivity I think keeping your average speed under 50 mph on undemanding roads has a lot to do with your excellent tire life and high level of satisfaction. If you value tire performance through the lens of cornering traction, feel, and braking then Shinkos and Conti Motions are probably not the best choice.

Broke it! It didn't start this morning!?
:crazy:
Battery (2 month old Motobatt) was flat as a Witches tit (0.9v) !?
:hmmm:
I still had the old Varta battery which was still charged up so put that in and got into work okay. No idea if it'll start again later though.
:roll:
The only thing I can think that would have drained it is the heated grips. They are supposed to be intelligent and turn themselves off if you forget to do so, which I may have? I've disconnected every accessory wire on the battery terminals and will see if its okay now? Either way those heated grips wont be connected back up without going through a relay. Ho hum.

In the interest of objectivity I think keeping your average speed under 50 mph on undemanding roads has a lot to do with your excellent tire life and high level of satisfaction. If you value tire performance through the lens of cornering traction, feel, and braking then Shinkos and Conti Motions are probably not the best choice.
I think you are confused about my satisfaction with the Shinko Raven, and I’m a little disturbed by the comments. My evaluation of the Raven is in comparison to the other front tires I have already used on the NC, those being the Metzeler Z8, Conti Motion, Shinko 705, and Michelin PR4. The overall range of riding conditions was similar throughout all the tires. The front Raven is going to be retired very soon, not because the center is worn, but because there is no tread left on the edges. Cornering is what primarily consumed the front tire. The long life is a bonus, but the feel in the turns and the cornering traction is actually why I liked the Raven, which is totally contrary to your suggestion in your last sentence.

I’ll repeat, the cornering feel and traction I get with the Raven is why I am satisfied with the tire, and the long life is a bonus. If others have used a Raven and didn’t like the feel or traction, that’s perfectly fine. I wouldn’t be in a position to suggest to them what would be their best choice.

How long does the Shinko Raven rear last?
My Shinko Raven rear tires last between 8,000-10,000 miles, depending on what kind of highways/riding I do....The long Interstate rides get the lower amount of miles, while riding mostly county/local highways (curves) last longer miles.

Broke it! It didn't start this morning!?
:crazy:
Battery (2 month old Motobatt) was flat as a Witches tit (0.9v) !?
:hmmm:
I still had the old Varta battery which was still charged up so put that in and got into work okay. No idea if it'll start again later though.
:roll:
The only thing I can think that would have drained it is the heated grips. They are supposed to be intelligent and turn themselves off if you forget to do so, which I may have? I've disconnected every accessory wire on the battery terminals and will see if its okay now? Either way those heated grips wont be connected back up without going through a relay. Ho hum.
For a battery to drain all cells that low does suggest a heavy parasitic load, and the heated grips could be the culprit.

I don’t know what grips you have, but on my CRF, I have the Oxfords with the version 8 controller. They are claimed to automatically shut off when the controller detects that the bike is shut off, due to lack of activity on the 12 volt line. I didn’t trust that system so I installed mine through a relay. It sounds like you have a plan, trying the motorcycle battery with all loads disconnected, and installing a relay for the grips. Good luck!

Last edited:
I think you are confused about my satisfaction with the Shinko Raven, and I’m a little disturbed by the comments. My evaluation of the Raven is in comparison to the other front tires I have already used on the NC, those being the Metzeler Z8, Conti Motion, Shinko 705, and Michelin PR4. The overall range of riding conditions was similar throughout all the tires. The front Raven is going to be retired very soon, not because the center is worn, but because there is no tread left on the edges. Cornering is what primarily consumed the front tire. The long life is a bonus, but the feel in the turns and the cornering traction is actually why I liked the Raven, which is totally contrary to your suggestion in your last sentence.

I’ll repeat, the cornering feel and traction I get with the Raven is why I am satisfied with the tire, and the long life is a bonus. If others have used a Raven and didn’t like the feel or traction, that’s perfectly fine. I wouldn’t be in a position to suggest to them what would be their best choice.
There shouldn't be any confusion but I'll restate. Cornering and braking at medium to high speeds on technically challenging roads places different demands on tires than riding at low to medium speeds on less demanding roads.

In the interest of objectivity I believe keeping your average speed under 50 mph on undemanding roads has a lot to do with your excellent tire life and high level of satisfaction with the least expensive tires available. If one viewed tire performance through the lens of medium to high speed cornering traction, feel, and braking then your choices in tires might be different.

There shouldn't be any confusion but I'll restate. Cornering and braking at medium to high speeds on technically challenging roads places different demands on tires than riding at low to medium speeds on less demanding roads.

In the interest of objectivity I believe keeping your average speed under 50 mph on undemanding roads has a lot to do with your excellent tire life and high level of satisfaction with the least expensive tires available. If one viewed tire performance through the lens of medium to high speed cornering traction, feel, and braking then your choices in tires might be different.
Is there some point to all this? Are you stating that a tire that you haven’t said you‘ve ever tried can be judged by it’s price? I would probably buy the Raven front at twice the price, now that I have tried one and liked it.

Whatever. I’m sorry I ever mentioned my satisfaction with the Shinkos. Ride on.

Is there some point to all this? Are you stating that a tire that you haven’t said you‘ve ever tried can be judged by it’s price? I would probably buy the Raven front at twice the price, now that I have tried one and liked it.

Whatever. I’m sorry I ever mentioned my satisfaction with the Shinkos. Ride on.
Just my observations in this and other forums plus what you have shared here. Sorry to touch a nerve.

Are tire threads the new oil threads?
I hope not, but back on the thread topic, I did ride about 150 miles today. It was nice, but the wind really kicked up late in the ride. When I passed a grain elevator, the swirling wind whipped the bike all over the whole lane. I was prepared to straighten up as the side wind was blocked by the structure, but didn't expect to be sucked toward it. Whew! What a ride.

Two short rides today, probably a total of 50 miles. Both rides were to the same town. Morning was pleasant, bright and sunny with some stiff winds out of the south but no so strong as to elicit a religious experience when hit with a cross wind blast. Just ran to the bank, dropped off some mail and grabbed a fish sandwich from the local Culver's restaurant. I did eat at the picnic tables outside, enjoyed the sun, and then rode home.

This evening's destination was literally 1 block farther north than the bank I rode to in the morning as I rode to the fencing club right up the street. Got to see a really nifty little Janus Halcyon 250 that one of the members rode to the club. Same guy has a Ural. This was the first time he brought the Janus to the club when I was there. Really a sweet little bike, and beautifully crafted. Looks pretty much hand built.

It's supposed to reach 80 degrees here this evening. Going to ride to the weekly meet up tonight. I'm glad that cold/snow snap is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back