• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
got to taste a very small part of the SCAR yesterday - only had 5-hours to ride and the closest point is an hour away (outside of Kershaw) plus had to make a stop at Lowes. Can't wait to get back and with better tires for this terrain.

Attachments

• IMG_20220206_130024041.jpg
    IMG_20220206_130024041.jpg
    8.2 MB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20220206_131313420_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220206_131313420_HDR.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 22
got to taste a very small part of the SCAR yesterday - only had 5-hours to ride and the closest point is an hour away (outside of Kershaw) plus had to make a stop at Lowes. Can't wait to get back and with better tires for this terrain.
That looks like a nice ride. And SCAR means what?

On Saturday, with more wind blowing warm air at us, took it to go to the WYBDR movie premiere in Murietta, CA.
It was not to be... At least not on my bike.
About 40 miles of twisties into the ride, under near-perfect conditions (less wind would have been best), the DCT shifts became sluggish, and then just stopped happening. Stuck in 6th. Had happened about 3 months ago, but it was over 90F. This time it was low seventies in Malibu.
Gave it 5-10 minutes off to cool down. Finally got back down from 6 to N (engine running, using the paddles) so I could get back in D and ride it slowly to a safe spot without getting too fast or over 3rd.
Went to the WYBDR movie over 100 miles each way on the back of a friend's bike. Had planned to see an old friend there, who's in the movie and lives over 2500 miles away.
When I came back late at night, I rode her home with no problems and no sluggishness.

Forums tell me about a motor I probably need to replace. Trying to decide if I try to do it myself or throw money at the dealer.

Looks nice! Confusing, though . . . did the aluminum expand or did it shrink???

First:
"The skid plate is CNC cut from a solid 3mm sheet of aircraft grade aluminum".

And then:
"Why Pick Our Skid Plate?

Durability and Quality

• 4mm thick aircraft grade aluminum"

Maybe it was cut from a 3mm sheet, measured at really really cold temperatures, so when brought to room temperature, it was 4mm? :D

Sheet good thicknesses usually have extremely tight tolerances, but it might be a conversion rounding error; 0.140" sheet aluminum is 3.556mm.

Replaced rear brake pads with OEM, cleaned the exposed piston with a toothbrush and then wet sanded/polished it lightly with 1500 grit sandpaper and brake fluid, cleaned and greased the caliper slide pins. The old OEM pads had reached the wear indicators and had ~1mm of friction material left. These pads only had 13,100 miles on them. I bought this bike 8 months ago with 7400 miles on it. I'm not a heavy rear brake user and both of my other NCs were sold at over 30,000 miles with the original rear pads.

Last edited:
Replaced rear brake pads with OEM, cleaned the exposed piston with a toothbrush and polished with 1500 grit sandpaper, cleaned and greased the caliper slide pins. The old OEM pads had reached the wear indicators and had ~1mm of friction material left. These pads only had 13,100 miles on them. I bought this bike 8 months ago with 7400 miles on it. I'm not a heavy rear brake user and both of my other NCs were sold at over 30,000 miles with the original rear pads.
Dave - can you tell if they switch OEM pad suppliers, and is the new bike a NC700 or 750? That's really a big difference in wear. My 2015 is still on the OEM rear pads (I'm not a heavy rear brake user either) at just under 30K miles.

Dave - can you tell if they switch OEM pad suppliers, and is the new bike a NC700 or 750? That's really a big difference in wear. My 2015 is still on the OEM rear pads (I'm not a heavy rear brake user either) at just under 30K miles.
The bike is a 2013 700XD. Previous NCs I've owned were a 2012 manual and a 2015 DCT. The current part numbers on the 2013 pads I installed suggest a minor revision like vendor but the ones that came out and the ones that went in were both Toyo HH sintered metal. Come to think of it I think Honda installed GG or FF organic or semi-sintered pads in my 2015. I know we had a thread or three on what was the original OEM pad material used in different years and I took some pictures posted up in here.

I looked up an earlier thread on pads. I'm going to have to go back and edit Post #30 in the referenced thread because my 2013 did come OEM with HH rated pads in the rear caliper and OEM replacements are the same so 700s came with different material pads in different years. I wonder what was different between my 2015XD and the 2013XD to justify the change in pad from HH to EE. (disregarding the 2012/2013's linked brakes that used the 3 piston front caliper - just looking at the rear calipers.) The calipers accepted different shaped pads.

The HH Toyo pads I removed from my 2013 last night.

2013 NC700XD rear pad.jpg

Pads from 2015 700XD are in post #30 https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/nc700x-front-brake-pads.10381/page-2

I wonder what was different between my 2015XD and the 2013XD to justify the change in pad from HH to EE. (disregarding the 2012/2013's linked brakes that used the 3 piston front caliper - just looking at the rear calipers.) The calipers accepted different shaped pads.
I wonder if the linked braking IS the difference. Perhaps they decided they needed to revise the rear brakes when they dropped the linked front because of the reduced braking under "rear" (pedal) only braking.
Only speculating, of course.

Replaced rear brake pads with OEM, cleaned the exposed piston with a toothbrush and polished with 1500 grit sandpaper, cleaned and greased the caliper slide pins. The old OEM pads had reached the wear indicators and had ~1mm of friction material left. These pads only had 13,100 miles on them. I bought this bike 8 months ago with 7400 miles on it. I'm not a heavy rear brake user and both of my other NCs were sold at over 30,000 miles with the original rear pads.
I looked up an earlier thread on pads. I'm going to have to go back and edit Post #30 in the referenced thread because my 2013 did come OEM with HH rated pads in the rear caliper and OEM replacements are the same so 700s came with different material pads in different years. I wonder what was different between my 2015XD and the 2013XD to justify the change in pad from HH to EE. (disregarding the 2012/2013's linked brakes that used the 3 piston front caliper - just looking at the rear calipers.) The calipers accepted different shaped pads.

The HH Toyo pads I removed from my 2013 last night.

View attachment 48242

Pads from 2015 700XD are in post #30 https://www.nc700-forum.com/threads/nc700x-front-brake-pads.10381/page-2
That your 2013 rear pads were gone at 13,100 miles is quite surprising. As you know, I’m a gentle rider, but my 2012’s original rear pads went beyond 50,000 miles before they hit the wear limit and I changed them. Assuming the 2012 and 2013 pad materials were alike, your bike’s previous owner must have been a heavy rear brake user.

That your 2013 rear pads were gone at 13,100 miles is quite surprising. As you know, I’m a gentle rider, but my 2012’s original rear pads went beyond 50,000 miles before they hit the wear limit and I changed them. Assuming the 2012 and 2013 pad materials were alike, your bike’s previous owner must have been a heavy rear brake user.
I'm wondering if the PO liked to rest their toes on the pedals. Constant light brake application would wear them out much quicker than expected, and I know some people have a tendency to "cover" (lightly press) the brake pedal...

Finally, after battling 2" thick ice and 4" of snow for the last 9 days, I was able to get out for a short ride today. My road is still a mess and there are a couple spots where giant pines shade the road for maybe 100 yards or so, keeping the ice/snow from melting, but finally a car tire track width on each side of the road got down to the tar and chip, so I was able to escape. Yes!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back