• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have owned 2 scooters, both Honda’s, an SH 150i and a Silverwing.
I concur; easy to manoeuvre, ride, and a simpler way of enjoying our sport.
A 300 cc would be more than adequately powered for my needs.

What my friends, my age, tell me that have quit is, with traffic moving ever faster, road rage becoming more prevalent, and hit and run and inattentive drivers seemingly everywhere, that they no longer feel as safe as they used to. It has taken a lot of the joy out of riding and turned riding into surviving. Couple that with age related naturally degrading physical strength, hearing, eyesight and reflexes, and the possibility of leaving an elderly wife alone, it's just wasn't worth it to them anymore. One told me he wasn't afraid of dying, he was afraid of becoming an invalid/crippled and dependent on his elderly wife.

I'm certainly not there yet, in fact heading out on my daily ride here in a bit, but I understand and respect their concerns and think about those same things once in a while. Figure I have about 6 or 7 years left on the planet, would hate to spend them in a hospital bed all broken up or a convalescent home, but until the fear overtakes the bravado, I'll keep riding.

Scooters are brilliant. My current X-Adv is a sort of hybrid and a blast to ride. Its close relation the Forza750 likewise. However when they first came out I rode a Yamaha Majesty 250 for a few years commuting and it was an excellent two wheeler. They are not only practical but also fun on a twisty well surfaced road.
I wish the Forza or X-Adv were offered in Canada.
I would definitely have chosen one of those over the NC.

My concern wasn't the riding of the bike.
The NC is so tall I can't duck walk it backwards very easily.
I'm fearful that one of these days a slight mis-step will involve my losing control of it while walking it backwards by the handlebars and grab rails out of the garage.
This is where a Goldwing DCT with forward and reverse walking mode would give me that security.
On the road, I have no problems or anxiety.
But to trade my NC on a 'Wing, I'd be looking at $25k difference and I don't want to spend that kind of money on a 6 month a year toy.
Im guessing by duck walking you mean sitting on the bike and pedaling backwards. I agree that walking it by holding the handlebars and back rails is dicey, and I understand your problem. There are devices, they’re not cheap, that you can buy which support a bike while you wheel it around the garage.

Im not the nimble bike rider I was and physical limitations have altered my riding style which are some of the reasons I bought a practical comfortable, slow, Nc750. If needs be I’ll buy something lighter to fit my limitations. I don’t decry or criticize your decision. It all comes to us eventually, and when it does for me, a nice convertible will be sitting in my driveway to replace the bike. You can’t fall off 4 wheels lol.

I totally agree with this view. I have gradually been downsizing my two up tourers since 2012 when I moved from a Goldwing to Triumph 1200 Explorer. I am 5'8" and of small stature so manhandling big bikes is my biggest problem at 71, and keeping balance two up and loaded when coming to a halt off camber etc. In 2018 I swapped the Triumph for a Strom and I hope to be able to continue with that for some time to come. However I will only stop when either physicality or reduced brain function or both put a stop to me. Motorcycling has kept me sane over years of commuting, touring and during covid restrictions. I simply couldn't be without one. I properly started out 50+ years ago on a 200 (after a disastrous M21 first bike) and now with a 300 CRF back in the shed I am again discovering the joys of a small bike both offroad and on
What my friends, my age, tell me that have quit is, with traffic moving ever faster, road rage becoming more prevalent, and hit and run and inattentive drivers seemingly everywhere, that they no longer feel as safe as they used to. It has taken a lot of the joy out of riding and turned riding into surviving. Couple that with age related naturally degrading physical strength, hearing, eyesight and reflexes, and the possibility of leaving an elderly wife alone, it's just wasn't worth it to them anymore. One told me he wasn't afraid of dying, he was afraid of becoming an invalid/crippled and dependent on his elderly wife.

I'm certainly not there yet, in fact heading out on my daily ride here in a bit, but I understand and respect their concerns and think about those same things once in a while. Figure I have about 6 or 7 years left on the planet, would hate to spend them in a hospital bed all broken up or a convalescent home, but until the fear overtakes the bravado, I'll keep riding.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Especially the part about being an invalid or crippled. I live in a small town, and am in the country in minutes. If I lived in a major city, and it took me any length of time to get an open road, I’d likely have quit years ago. Riding in the city is the most dangerous thing you can do on a bike.

It all comes to us eventually, and when it does for me, a nice convertible will be sitting in my driveway to replace the bike. You can’t fall off 4 wheels lol.
I almost traded my F6B in 2020 for a Mazda MX5 -RF (electric retractable roof).
I loved it despite its small size; my wife not so much.
I'm glad I listened to her.

I don't know where you are in Ontario, but in Manitoba it's usually too hot or too cold to enjoy a convertible.
The Goldilocks zone for a convertible here is mid April/May and late Aug/Sept.

The only time I ever open the huge sunroof on my Subaru Forester is....... never.
I only open the sunshade, and that's in the winter on a sunny day, to let the sun's rays warm the interior.

I'll stick with my bicycles.
Easy to move around in the garage, my balance is just fine, and I get the benefit of some cardio while laughing as I pass the gas stations.

I almost traded my F6B in 2020 for a Mazda MX5 -RF (electric retractable roof).
I loved it despite its small size; my wife not so much.
I'm glad I listened to her.

I don't know where you are in Ontario, but in Manitoba it's usually too hot or too cold to enjoy a convertible.
The Goldilocks zone for a convertible here is mid April/May and late Aug/Sept.

The only time I ever open the huge sunroof on my Subaru Forester is....... never.
I only open the sunshade, and that's in the winter on a sunny day, to let the sun's rays warm the interior.

I'll stick with my bicycles.
Easy to move around in the garage, my balance is just fine, and I get the benefit of some cardio while laughing as I pass the gas stations.
Ah. You have/had the convertible I’ve had my eye on for years. I had an Mg midget once, so the Mx5 will more than fit the bill for me. I live near Niagara Falls, and being an ex Brit Id have no problems with the top down from April to November. I drove through many a British winter with the windows up, top down, and the heater on full blast. I even slept in that car for 8 hours outside Paris. Even at 6’2” I had a good sleep Lol.

I can see getting into bicycles. There’s many a day I’ve ridden past bicycle enthusiasts wearing my full protective gear, thinking they’re cooler and getting some exercise.

My wife finally quit riding in spring 2021 at 69 yo. She's had a hip and 2 knees replaced and it just got to the point where mounting and dismounting were too painful. We've toured all over the US, Canada and Europe together since 1972. That's the reason I traded my FJR in on the NC last year. She misses riding, so she went out and bought this a couple of months ago. No, it's not the same (no lean) but it's more fun than I would have imagined since I've never been a "car" guy.

83xwuXzh.jpg

I'm taking 3 motorcycle trips this year (already took 1 to the east coast) and WE are taking 2 car trips this year in the Mustang. Taking it to the BRP, the Diamondback and the Dragon in the fall. That'll be different lol.

Love the colour!
I assume that's the 4 cylinder EcoBoost engine, as I don't see any GT badge on the side.
With 310 HP, that's plenty.
Those 'Stangs get really pricey with the GT package and all the performance kit.
Great choice IMHO.

Nice cars but to get back on track, second fillup entered in today on the three tracking apps I’m testing out. Might write up a review if anyones interested. Tomorrow I got some new pegs coming to throw on the bike to help ergos

I have always run foam grips, either Grab On(trademark) or Grip Puppies(trademark) over the stock grips. I put a set of Grab On(trademark) grips on my NC and they have worked well for 1,100 miles.
I decided to put a set of Grip Puppies BIG PAW(trademark) over the top of the Grab On(trademark). Increases the OD of the grips to 1 7/8" I have had no vibration, just easier on my hands.
I will report back, Time will tell how they work out.

Disclaimer
Not a paid endorsement or advertisement, I bought them both. I don't work for them or know anyone that does.
I have no financial interest in either, or own their stock.

Attachments

• IMG_5198.JPG
    IMG_5198.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5199.JPG
    IMG_5199.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
I have always run foam grips, either Grab On(trademark) or Grip Puppies(trademark) over the stock grips. I put a set of Grab On(trademark) grips on my NC and they have worked well for 1,100 miles.
I decided to put a set of Grip Puppies BIG PAW(trademark) over the top of the Grab On(trademark). Increases the OD of the grips to 1 7/8" I have had no vibration, just easier on my hands.

Disclaimer
Not a paid endorsement or advertisement, I bought them both. I don't work for them or know anyone that does.
I have grab ons on my mountain bike, but not my motorcycle. I will have to think about that…

Disclaimer
I use foam grip covers on my road bicycle but dislike and don’t use them on my motorcycles. I guess grip size is a personal preference thing.

I let a guy test ride my NC for about a half hour.
Middle aged guy, never driven a DCT bike before.
He left me with his brand new Mazda CX-5 with the keys in my driveway, so I wasn't too worried.
He liked it, we're close on the price, negotiating a final cost including a jacket and gloves and my getting the certificate of inspection (safety) which costs $100.
I told him if he wants me to get it safetied for him, then he bears the price of the inspection.
The inspection is mandatory for registering any vehicle, new or used.
He asked if I would take a deposit by eTransfer, I said sure, I need a $1000 deposit and it's sold.
But, as they say, money talks and bull$hit walks, so we'll see what happens.

40mm foot pegs installed at 4 o’clock. Pegs themselves were easy to put on but the rear brake adjustment was a nightmare. Still couldn’t get the brake light switch to adjust so had to make a compromise on the pedal height.

Attachments

• A8A87E5D-73B4-480A-A819-E8295039935F.jpeg
    A8A87E5D-73B4-480A-A819-E8295039935F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 18
  • AC321994-A71C-4A3D-8937-D9BFF593CFC1.jpeg
    AC321994-A71C-4A3D-8937-D9BFF593CFC1.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 18
40mm foot pegs installed at 4 o’clock. Pegs themselves were easy to put on but the rear brake adjustment was a nightmare. Still couldn’t get the brake light switch to adjust so had to make a compromise on the pedal height.

I found the instructions of brake light engagement to be very poor.
I wrote my own and slipped them into the service manual.

Verbatim:

Loosen lower nut
Turn top nut clockwise to lower the pedal
Tighten lower nut

Push brake light switch body upwards
Turn plastic nut CW if switch operates too late
Turn plastic nut CCW if switch operates too early
Re-seat switch body

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back