• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2022: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Researched oil filters in a pique. The model I used to purchase has been depreciated as the 'manufacturer' has decided to go with cheaper suppliers. Also now oil filters are $17 instead of $12. I can't imagine the components have cost Mobil 1 an additional $5 to procure and insert.

I wasn't paying close enough attention and I ended up riding to the Columbia river from the mid peninsula. Rolled over 56k with fifty miles or so to home. While bored out of my skull on I5 because it was dark. All the good roads are infested with deer. Life is hard. Will it void the warranty if I change the filter at 56,053 miles? Asking for a friend whose warranty expired three years ago.

My wife surprised me with a windshield from CalSci. I guess the guy is still around but doesn't do much with technology more advanced than the telephone. I had mentioned a year or two ago that my wife had tried to contact him multiple times and got no response. On a lark last winter she tried one more time. While waiting for the payment to process, he told my wife a bizarre joke. Realizing it landed poorly, he explained "don't worry— women don't get humor, and men aren't funny." So, I am not recommending CalSci products.

riverside.jpg

Weirdo proprieter aside, I do not particularly care for the wings of the shield. They look out of place, they do not seem to serve any purpose, and worst of all they have forced me to remove my OEM handguards. I have them for wind protection for my hands. Now I can choose between incessant buffeting of the OEM windscreen or cold hands with no buffeting. I also don't like how far out the thing sits. It wobbles around at high speed. It has limited my top speed to about 99mph. I see a few cracks developing in the rubber mounts. And I've only had it installed since March. I am still able to get 80mpg on full tanks despite the obvious increase in overall drag.

The guy will modify your shield for you but that involves shipping and talking to someone I personally find off putting. The alternative is to find someone with a band saw, then ultimately flame polish the edges of the acrylic shield. I would rather just buy a Mastad or something. I'm beyond tired of dealing with bad wind. Either on or off bikes!

Researched oil filters in a pique. The model I used to purchase has been depreciated as the 'manufacturer' has decided to go with cheaper suppliers. Also now oil filters are $17 instead of $12. I can't imagine the components have cost Mobil 1 an additional $5 to procure and insert.

I wasn't paying close enough attention and I ended up riding to the Columbia river from the mid peninsula. Rolled over 56k with fifty miles or so to home. While bored out of my skull on I5 because it was dark. All the good roads are infested with deer. Life is hard. Will it void the warranty if I change the filter at 56,053 miles? Asking for a friend whose warranty expired three years ago.

My wife surprised me with a windshield from CalSci. I guess the guy is still around but doesn't do much with technology more advanced than the telephone. I had mentioned a year or two ago that my wife had tried to contact him multiple times and got no response. On a lark last winter she tried one more time. While waiting for the payment to process, he told my wife a bizarre joke. Realizing it landed poorly, he explained "don't worry— women don't get humor, and men aren't funny." So, I am not recommending CalSci products.

View attachment 50236

Weirdo proprieter aside, I do not particularly care for the wings of the shield. They look out of place, they do not seem to serve any purpose, and worst of all they have forced me to remove my OEM handguards. I have them for wind protection for my hands. Now I can choose between incessant buffeting of the OEM windscreen or cold hands with no buffeting. I also don't like how far out the thing sits. It wobbles around at high speed. It has limited my top speed to about 99mph. I see a few cracks developing in the rubber mounts. And I've only had it installed since March. I am still able to get 80mpg on full tanks despite the obvious increase in overall drag.

The guy will modify your shield for you but that involves shipping and talking to someone I personally find off putting. The alternative is to find someone with a band saw, then ultimately flame polish the edges of the acrylic shield. I would rather just buy a Mastad or something. I'm beyond tired of dealing with bad wind. Either on or off bikes!
Early CalSci problems were cracking around that vent hole, and unreliable mounting because they were depending on the stock Honda well nuts to support that big screen. I wonder if current versions of the screen have improved any.

Early CalSci problems were cracking around that vent hole, and unreliable mounting because they were depending on the stock Honda well nuts to support that big screen. I wonder if current versions of the screen have improved any.
Included were "improved" nut wells and I believe longer bolts to address that issue. The screen itself is currently in fine shape, it is the "improved" well nuts which seem to be degrading.

There was a poorly written instruction sheet which had never been revised after it's first draft. I'm not confident in that guy's ability to change lol

Today is my NC's 14 month Anniversary. Day 208 of riding for the year, went on reserve at 202 miles about 1/2 block from a gas station. Pulled in, got gas took 2.7 gals for a steady 75 mpg. Today's ride took me over 14,000 miles for the year (combined both bikes) and I am quickly approaching another Mille Bornes milestone, as 670cc would call it, on the NC. Probably by Wednesday.

Last edited:
Today is my NC's 14 month Anniversary. Day 208 of riding for the year, went on reserve at 202 miles about 1/2 block from a gas station. Pulled in, got gas took 2.7 gals for a steady 75 mpg. Today's ride took me over 14,000 miles for the year (combined both bikes) and I am quickly approaching another Mille Bornes milestone, as 670cc would call it, on the NC. Probably by Wednesday.
I like you ride every day for work. I bought my bike in April and I have already put in over 11,000 miles. Did the valves a couple days ago. Really like this bike. Half the size of my concours. I average 120 150 a day. Love the airflow seat cover.

I like you ride every day for work. I bought my bike in April and I have already put in over 11,000 miles. Did the valves a couple days ago. Really like this bike. Half the size of my concours. I average 120 150 a day. Love the airflow seat cover.

I don't ride for work, I retired 9 years ago. Every mile I ride is simply for pleasure.

Wow 120-150 a day/ 11,000 miles in 5 months is a lot of saddle time. Congrats

I look forward to retirement. I have never commuted on a bike so all my miles are for pleasure it's just that I am still working.
I commuted to work by motorcycle for 24 years from 1965 to 1989 and took my vacations on them, Then I switched jobs and for the next 24 1/2 years I drove a car 200 miles a day 5 days a week working in the Highway Traffic Safety business covering 3 states and rode my motorcycles in the evenings when I got home, weekends and on vacations. Once I retired from that I have hardly been in a car since lol.

75mpg? What would you say your average speed is? I think I’d have to stay around 55mph to get that kind of mileage.
That's probably pretty accurate since the roads I ride are generally 45-55 mph country curvy backroads, very few Stop signs, no stop lights. I'm rarely on the freeway and then usually for short distances < 20 miles which I run at 65-72 mph. I'm a speed limit +- 5 mph kinda guy and prefer good lines thru the curves without having to use the brakes/accelerate.

y8CaFOnh.jpg

That's probably pretty accurate since the roads I ride are generally 45-55 mph country curvy backroads, very few Stop signs, no stop lights. I'm rarely on the freeway and then usually for short distances < 20 miles which I run at 65-72 mph. I'm a speed limit +- 5 mph kinda guy and prefer good lines thru the curves without having to use the brakes/accelerate.

y8CaFOnh.jpg
Looks like my daily commute in rural PA

I commuted to work by motorcycle for 24 years from 1965 to 1989 and took my vacations on them, Then I switched jobs and for the next 24 1/2 years I drove a car 200 miles a day 5 days a week working in the Highway Traffic Safety business covering 3 states and rode my motorcycles in the evenings when I got home, weekends and on vacations. Once I retired from that I have hardly been in a car since lol.
The job I had for about 40 years did not allow for commuting by motorcycle. Since getting out of school way back when, all motorcycle riding has been optional and for pleasure.

Got the clubman bars on the bike utilizing the 2" risers tilted back (so about 1.2" up and 1.2" back). Anyway, I took the touring screen off, and the handguards, since they were interfering. It's a work in progress. So this morning's commute was a "naked" run, first time I've ever ridden without any kind of fairing on a motorcycle.

It didn't suck.

I commuted on two wheels for most of my working life. That was done either on Motorcycle, Scooter or bicycle. Tbh I only kept my commuting sanity because of two wheels.

Looks like the chain is finally worn to the replace point. Should probably do it this weekend. The back end was feeling a little different which caused me to do the inspection. Loose estimate at 42k km out of the DID chain. Slightly more than stock.

Saw some oil on the rear shock so wiped it down.
IMG_20220823_183733.jpg
Pumped the rear suspension 10 times and it appears to have some leakage. Based on this do I need to be shopping for a new shock?
IMG_20220823_183844.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back