• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

2023: What did you do to/with your NC700/NC750 today?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did my scheduled 89,600 km service today. Used some high heat paint on the radiator. Looks ok in normal lighting. I bought one that was supposed to have a bake on process. I neglected to think about how to get the rubber grommets off so no baking it. I figured the worst thing that happens is is chips off which was already happening. I meant to take a before photo but in my excitement to finish I forgot. I could have spent more time chipping up the old paint and sanding but i figured it is a dirty black radiator and no one will ever notice. I think it turned out fine. We will see on the longevity.
PXL_20230716_004121034.jpg
PXL_20230716_004522074.jpg
PXL_20230716_040824280.jpgPXL_20230716_040830597.jpg
On the maintenance front I found that one of the kickstand springs had come loose. I wish I had checked my chain tensioner when I had it apart. Always room for improvement.

Close, that particular vessel is 22' LOA (Capri 22). The sailing school owns two of them. My current boat is 23.5, I stepped down from a 26.5 last fall. And the 23.5 is for sale now, because I've only had her out one time so far this year and it looks like I won't have a chance again through the summer. Which means...maybe there's an S10 in my future...
Hunters? In the 90s my job had me in the Hunter factory in Alachua at least once a month. Another regular customer was a commercial boat yard in St. Augustine that was across the San Sebastian River from the Luhrs factory which was another customer. The brothers Luhr owned both Hunter and Luhrs at that time. It was there I met Steve Pettingill aboard the solo ocean racing Hunter 50 Hunter's Child as it was being commissioned at the boat yard. A year or so later I was honored to beat Hunter's Child on both corrected and elapsed time in the biannual Daytona-Charleston Gulf Streamer Race. HC was the largest presumably fastest boat in the race. The Gulf Streamer race was all about managing the alongshore currents and the offshore Gulf Stream for 225 miles. A lot of boats made the wrong choice that year but I stumbled Angel's Wing onto the right choice for the conditions and won my class and beat half the field including HC on actual time. I did not repeat the second and third successive attempts.

I left early on Saturday and went for a ride around the central part of Pennsylvania, coal country. I made a big loop through some pretty areas of the state. It was 72 deg. F at 5:00 am when I woke up that morning and the temperature was approaching 80 deg. F when I left at 6:30. A great ride but very humid and hot on the way home. I was hoping to catch the rain storm I could see ahead of me to get cooled down. Good thing I didn't catch it. The storm dropped 4 to 5 inches of rain in an hour. Flash floods caught 11 cars killing 5 and 4 people are still missing. 350 miles for the day.

I left early on Saturday and went for a ride around the central part of Pennsylvania, coal country. I made a big loop through some pretty areas of the state. It was 72 deg. F at 5:00 am when I woke up that morning and the temperature was approaching 80 deg. F when I left at 6:30. A great ride but very humid and hot on the way home. I was hoping to catch the rain storm I could see ahead of me to get cooled down. Good thing I didn't catch it. The storm dropped 4 to 5 inches of rain in an hour. Flash floods caught 11 cars killing 5 and 4 people are still missing. 350 miles for the day.
Dang. Nice ride but not good the rain and destruction.

Went on a memorial ride w 16 other bikes and a few classic cars and they went my normal 120 mile loop , but stopped at the Coloma Club , Georgetown Hotel and Ice House Resort ,trip took 4 hrs , but wasa nice memorial 1st Rodger's Ride and we all flew jolly rodger flags

Attachments

• PXL_20230715_205542859.jpg
    PXL_20230715_205542859.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 12
  • PXL_20230715_203502592.jpg
    PXL_20230715_203502592.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 12
I have to refer back to a recent post when I stated that I had made a decision, and that the X-Adv had yet again seen off a challenge from another motorcycle, in this case the Transalp.

Well I am embarrassed to say that I now have to row back on that statement. It is going to be replaced by a Transalp.

I had ridden the Transalp three times over past weeks and decided that I would very much like one. I also rode the Strom 800 and very much liked that too, but the T shaded it for me. Imho the Strom is a younger man's bike. At first I considered parting with the X-Adv but then discounted that because of my liking for many aspects of the bike. I even considered parting with my CRF but I was severely reprimanded by some of my offroading mates for even thinking that way. The Wife even got in on the act. She made the point that the major aspect of the two bikes that I tested was that they were much better suspended (and wheeled) than the X-Adv over the rough roads that I ride. The small wheels are a serious problem and She pointed out that the one big complaint I had about the bike was the occasional hammering I got on backroads. The two test bikes greatly alleviated that, plus that I am not getting any younger. I spent the bones of a week mulling it over and eventually decided to move on. I had similar misgivings over my former GL1800 and former Triumph 1200 Explorer, but I got over them albeit I still have huge respect for both bikes.

I expect to get the Transalp within the next week or two. It is a slightly (cosmetically) damaged bike in transit that has been priced down accordingly. The damage is very slight. The waiting time otherwise would be October.

Went on a memorial ride w 16 other bikes and a few classic cars and they went my normal 120 mile loop , but stopped at the Coloma Club , Georgetown Hotel and Ice House Resort ,trip took 4 hrs , but wasa nice memorial 1st Rodger's Ride and we all flew jolly rodger flags

So is that the Sargent seat? How did it perform?

Close to pulling the trigger on one myself, or if you want to sell your SHAD (nudge/wink)...........

I hadn't been on the NC since the July 4th weekend and that hail storm thing. I have a lot of life going on right now and haven't been able to ride like normal few times a week. I didn't really have time today but if I didn't go this morning it would probably be another 5 or 6 days. I left in the dark and got in a little over 100 miles, a sunrise, and a breakfast. Felt good, the NC is such a pleasant motorcycle.

Dang weather terrorists got me 2 days in a row. Wasn't supposed to rain at all today, but my entire 48-mile ride, I was getting sprinkled on. Unfortunately, my normally pristine country curvy roads were a mess. We got 2 1/2" of rain in about an hour and a half last night. When it rains that hard, gravel from driveways on the uphill sides of the road, get washed out into the road, so there was a lot of gravel to avoid today, some of it in the curves. Supposed to rain again tomorrow.

Went for a ride up Icehouse Rd yesterday to Gerle Creek with my brother Dave in his BMW GS 1200 to go flyfishing. We caught lots of little natives on dry flies and it was awesome wet wading in the middle of the day.
After fishing we rode up to Loon Lake ,than a lap on Wentworth Springs to Uncle Tom's and back , than down to ice house resort for a cold refreshment and back up to wench creek campground on union valley to visit friends that were camping ,before we road back down icehouse Rd to 50 and back to Pollock pines and apple hill respectfully. Great 148.5 mile ride and the NC more than kept up with the GS, but I know the roads better
PXL_20230719_205808410.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230719_194542015.jpg
    PXL_20230719_194542015.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230720_003959897.jpg
    PXL_20230720_003959897.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230719_202117845.jpg
    PXL_20230719_202117845.jpg
    4.8 MB · Views: 10
  • PXL_20230719_205552702.jpg
    PXL_20230719_205552702.jpg
    5.3 MB · Views: 10
I use my left peg for mounting and dismounting. Not tall enough to do it otherwise lol.
I'm a tall guy so I normally step over from the left, but sometimes as a lark I'll mount the bike like a horse.

Right foot on the right peg, grab the bars like you're gonna ride and put your weight over the center of the bike as you swing your left leg up and over the pillion. Takes some weight off the sidestand as you wiggle around.

I would say it also impresses the ladies, but I'm too old to keep fooling myself with that line

I am 61 and only 5’10”, but still mount the bike like I’m 17. I don’t use the pegs at all, I mount from the left & throw my right leg over the seat to the other side of the bike & sit down.
As I get older (and an even more pronounced belly) I may have to adjust that.
As the arthritis & tendinitis increases I may have to got to a DCT, but for now I enjoy shifting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back